• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Do the Finger and Thumb test behind the heels - if you can squeeze your thumb, then it's probably to big length wise....
Quote:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do the Finger and Thumb test behind the heels - if you can squeeze your thumb, then it's probably to big length wise....
Quote:
You should not be able to stick your finger easily in the shoes behind the heel, this is a sign of a shoe that's too big.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
BeS, I have seen people who can easily fit 2 thumbs behind their heels and adamant their shoes "fits" perfectly ;-)
Quote:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
The U last....or go down half a size...but you risk compromising on the length.
Quote:

Torsion

Reaction score
Thanks all for feedback and opinions - I've checked them out again and they're too big. There's me jumping the gun thinking they were a good fit.

Wurger - I decided on trying 40.5 after extensive research on here and other forums, it's really hard to nail sizing over the internet without access to actually trying pairs on - I've also experienced this with other brands.

To the guy that said from thrilled to gutted - it's an anti-climax indeed but I've learnt patience is the key especially with artisan/handmade products.

Here's to another 6-8 weeks of thumb twiddling and watching paint dry :)

Now the thing is - the general opinion it seems is half sizing up for U/K lasts - so do I stick with 40.5 now based on my current experience with the F last!?
llovelobbs - I know you recommended staying with the same size for U/K as the F...

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bit cheeky to ask but why not see if you can visit No man walks alone and try some on?

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BeS, I have seen people who can easily fit 2 thumbs behind their heels and adamant their shoes "fits" perfectly ;-)
Quote:
Few are those who can appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of a well made pair of shoes. Fewer still are those who know what a properly fitting shoe feels like.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
It's too big if you can stick either a finger or a thumb behind the heels. Lacing completely closed means the shoes instep is too high, width too wide, length too long, or any combination of the above.

Torsion

Reaction score

It's too big if you can stick either a finger or a thumb behind the heels.

Lacing completely closed means the shoes instep is too high, width too wide, length too long, or any combination of the above.

Yeh thanks - saw your comments last night Chogall and by that time already felt they were too big. Managed to get a finger in (as the actress said to the bishop) :D

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks all for feedback and opinions - I've checked them out again and they're too big. There's me jumping the gun thinking they were a good fit.

Wurger - I decided on trying 40.5 after extensive research on here and other forums, it's really hard to nail sizing over the internet without access to actually trying pairs on - I've also experienced this with other brands.

To the guy that said from thrilled to gutted - it's an anti-climax indeed but I've learnt patience is the key especially with artisan/handmade products.

Here's to another 6-8 weeks of thumb twiddling and watching paint dry :)

Now the thing is - the general opinion it seems is half sizing up for U/K lasts - so do I stick with 40.5 now based on my current experience with the F last!?
llovelobbs - I know you recommended staying with the same size for U/K as the F...

I suggest against purchasing another pair on a last that you are not familiar with.
At first make sure you find the correct size for you in the F last, you can go from there with a much lower probability of failure.
The following chart has helped me finding my correct size in Vass and the sizing it suggests has been affirmed by others, so it might be of some help for your too.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shoesize-adult-de.svg

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Few are those who can appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of a well made pair of shoes. Fewer still are those who know what a properly fitting shoe feels like.

I have to admit I'm one of them. Most of my shoes fit reasonably well, of course, but I know quite a few are pretty sloppy or just not quite the right last. Living in a country where quality shoes are mail order or nothing, the temptation to just make do with "OK" is often there, rather than sending pair after pair back and forth with couriers.

One day, rather than buying ten more pairs of reasonably prices shoes just because they're in sales or I like the colour, I'll get organised and go to Budapest for (semi)bespoke...

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't there going to be some heel slip just because the shoes aren't broken in?

Because I have two new vass shoes, both closed laces (but I like my shoes snug, so I don't know if it's because of that, one is a derby, one is an oxford).

Otherwise I'll have to join the above poster and sell my shoes.

Last edited:

kwhunter

Reaction score
Is VASS still wire transfer payment only or are there any other means to pay?
Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads