1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

enjoy

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

3. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

With Vass, it's pretty much MTO for every shoe you get any ways.

4. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Vass is indeed discouraging shell boots. That's a lot of material to come from small hides.

Shell shoes may also be too rare for a retailer to order in quantity, but I've had success in having some MTO for myself. Just be patient until the color you want is in stock.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

Very very nice colors.

6. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I was very tempted by those - congrats!

7. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

Hey guys, so I talked to Notch and I might be able to switch my austerity brogue to a different color from Gold Museum. I really just preferred the old color better. What do you guys think would look good with the Austerity Brogue? I was thinking merlot museum calf but I haven't seen one yet so I'm not sure. Or maybe plum or any other suggestions? Thanks.

8. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I have a navy austerity brogue on order with Notch. I also think dark brown would be killer.

9. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Roger, do you have pics of a navy austerity boot? What last?

10. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

No pics - the order was only recently placed - and it's a shoe, not a boot. U last.

Here's a blue ankle boot from Ascot that I am seriously craving, though. Might have to order a tall version for the fall.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Thanks. Reading fast on my phone and mixed brogue for boot...or maybe I just wanted it to read boot

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Or you were just reading my mind. A Vass austerity boot is high on my want list. F last in oxblood. Or a two tone with Oxblood heel and wing and the rest Bordeaux. Very drool-worthy.

13. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

love that combo of navy calf and navy scotchgrain Roger, I think that this similar makeup will be my next pair of Vass[​IMG]

14. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

dang, that's nice. think I like the ankle boot in RP's previous post better

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Some awesome ideas here. And yet after the talk (again) about the GMTO thread, a net result of...no new posts there!

I think there are a lot of existing colour options for the austerity brogue that would work: dark brown museum, or quite a few existing Vass colours: dark, antique or 6319 cognac, or maybe bordeaux or navy for something more eye-catching.

That's the problem with Vass GMTO though, it seems: MTO itself is cheap, and the choices normally available are a massive candy store of options: welt construction options, various soles, double, single, "haf" and anything you want to stick on there, ten different standard lasts, all in wider fittings if you want, a dozen normal leather colours plus scotchgrain, shell, ostrich, shark, caiman, and now a museum-a-like selection too. Getting six people to want exactly the same shoe isn't difficult. But when there are so many options and the difference is a hundred bucks, getting them to all want the same one when they don't already have a dozen others on the list, is hard I guess!

But I'm down for a dark brown museum austerity oxford on the U last. Or something like it. Just saying. :)

16. Montecristo905

Montecristo905 Well-Known Member

Great forum! Thank you for educating me on the subject of quality shoes, especially Vass.

I will soon post my collection.

I have 2 Vass pairs. I just noticed one issue on my newest pair while wearing them for the first time. While sitting, I can see the stitching of the upper to the sole (on the insides of the shoe). Is this an issue?

U last, double to single sole, 6125 dark cognac:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

Welcome! That is a sloppy welt stitch, and I would definitely contact Vass about it, and think that they will exchange it without a problem. It's a mistake that sometimes happens, but haven't seen it from Vass before.

18. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Mimo - I think you have hit on the difficulty with Vass GMTO quite precisely.

Montecristo - love those shoes! I second J's suggestion that you contact Vass about the stitching issue.

19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

It's all very well when the cost of MTO is 50% like Carmina or Meermin, but when it's more like 15-20% for Vass, why go through the hassle of trying to agree with everyone else? After all, the point of MTO is getting what you really want that isn't already available.

Still, like I said, I'm up for one as a matter of community spirit! Anything you fancy, Roger?

20. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Exactly - which explains why there will likely never be a St. Crispin's GMTO.

I am open to a few bal-boot ideas.

1) The blue ankle boot I posted earlier - I'd prefer the tall boot version, but open to the ankle height as well.
    2) The oxblood or oxblood/bordeaux austerity brogue boot I described earlier.
    3) An all-oxblood captoe bal boot.
    4) Dark or medium brown captoe bal boot of some kind. Less certain of this as I may grab an EG Shannon to fill this slot.

I'm probably out of anything shoe-related as I have two existing orders outstanding.