1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. alloy13

alloy13 Well-Known Member

Let me guess... You used CF?

2. NiceToHave

NiceToHave Active Member

Last time I checked there were different/higher prices on the "italian" lasts. Think 420 is for the non-italian

3. MRMan

MRMan Well-Known Member

Good guess. I ended up saving just a few dollars on this small exchange, but I wanted to experiment.

4. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

I don't think that is correct. The standard price is 420 euro for all shoes based on standard models (basically the ones pictures on their site). You can choose last, leather, single- double or haf-sole, buckle color and so on without any extra cost, even if they are created as an MTO. 520 euro is for when you change the pattern or make a new type of model that they don't have I'm their standard range.

Italian lasts in standard models are still 420 euro, but they did raise the prices for the other lasts from 390 to 420 as well last year.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. Swede66

Swede66 Well-Known Member

They are on F-last, so an "Italian" last.

6. NiceToHave

NiceToHave Active Member

Ok, didnt know it had changed. This was last summer when I was in Budapest so my info is a bit old :).

Does anyone have an up to date price list? Not sure the one google finds me is the latest (shows different prices standard/italian models)

7. gusvs

gusvs Well-Known Member

Well, I asked for Old English Medallion on F last, with trees and rubber toe tip, and was quoted 520 EUR + shipping another 20 EUR. Still strange to me, unless the medallion adds a lot?

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. striker

striker Well-Known Member

I think another source of confusion WRT pricing is that those SF members in the EU paid VAT while those elsewhere were exempted but incurred extra shipping. Also different specifications would incur their respective add on cost. Some types of leather would cost more than others, as would the use of combination leathers

The prices you find googling are at best guidelines. Best to just email them with exactly what you want and state where you intend to have them ship to in order to get the most accurate prices.

9. mbeebe

mbeebe Member

Wow they really did an unbelievably nice job, those soles look great. Seeing these definitely makes me want to go with Dainite on my next pair.

10. nmfa

nmfa Member

Is it?

I think the stitching is uneven, it is not spaced from the edge in a uniform way and only sewn in the toe part (is the rest glued?). You can also clearly see that the thread is not protected in a groove on the right shoe.

Though I like the shoe!

11. alloy13

What's the difference between shoes with high instep and shoes with great volume under the vamp? Or are these the same?

12. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Same.

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Not necessarily the same! - You don't want to have too much empty space/volume where it's not needed.

[​IMG]

Look at Bestetti's shoes: They have an unbelievably high instep, but the last (and the lasting) is always very tight over the vamp.

[​IMG]

14. alloy13

That's what I thought too, that there would be a difference.

How does the U last compare with the F in terms of volume under the vamp? I only have the F, which I find has way too much vamp volume despite the perfect instep fit.

15. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Well-Known Member

Because the F last is a touch wider than the U last, hence, the extra volume...

What's your definition of "too much" ? Any pictures?
    The way you're describing too much, makes out your shoes are 2 sizes too big for you...

16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Great post, Bengal! I don't have an especially high instep, but do find some modern last shapes too low over the vamp....my foot is shaped much more like that red dotted line. Bestetti's shoes are stunning, but look like torture to me...

17. aspasp

aspasp Well-Known Member

Passing by Budapest this weekend, worthwhile to go to Vass? I'm a college student, not sure if I should get something at this point in my life...what do you guys think?

18. Ilovelobbs

You must be a well funded college student to be following the Vass thread...

Also - anyone know where I can pick up a pair of Bestetti's online?
    My google search brings me nothing. I don't mind proxy or ebay.
    Just need a pair for my collection...the right size would be nice too.

19. Ilovelobbs

Is there a computer program that can produce a 3-d diagram of your foot contour to the nearest mm, similar to what Bengal just posted above?

Imagine if I can send this to any bespoke maker, wouldn't this reduce the besoke prices down dramatically.

20. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

When I was a college student I dreamed of being able to one day pick up a pair of Allen Edmonds. But hey, if you can comfortably acquire a pair of Vass at this stage, why not?