1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

This is an extremely helpful post.

Thanks for sharing.

Sure would be nice if we could have stickies with items such as this.

Thanks again.

Dan

1 person likes this.
  2. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Ilovelobbs, thank you for your reply and insight on this maker. Very helpful. I will guote it in the Buday thread. Concordia, thank you for the link. Looks interesting.

3. greverif

greverif Well-Known Member

I made an order yesterday and it seems like they have increased their price for cordovan. I wanted my shoes in antic cognac shell cordovan and got this answer:

"Thank you for your email!
    Yes, the Cordovan shoes are for 230.- Euro more. The requested model can be made ready for you with the double sole. It is for 420.- Euro available. "

I choose to buy my shoes in regular leather for 420 Euro.

4. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Rikod - are your loafer and derby above the same size in the F last? If yes, how does the loafer fit relative to the derby. My Vass derby and double monk fit looser than my oxfords by a noticeable margin in size 45.

5. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

They both fit perfect but I guess this is because they have my foot prints with measures and they adjust things to fit my foot so all my Vass fit mostly the same in every style.

If you order by sizes, I would definitely recommend, without any doubts, to downsize at least half a size for loafers. That is my experience not only with loafers from Vass, but other makers as well like GG, C&J and Alden.

6. sm31

sm31 Well-Known Member

Can you say more about this? How did you provide them the foot prints, etc.? In person?

7. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Well-Known Member

It's been over 3 months - I have a gut feeling what answer is...

I know the Lobb Chambord model and EG Dover are stitched by the same guy, so there no shortage of those shoes for me. He's making a bespoke pair for me at moment.
    Only wished Vass could handle such a labour intensive request....

8. Ilovelobbs

Agree -

but bear in mind the pain around the instep whilst breaking into them...

Once you have settled into the shoes, they should fit snugly like a pair of vicuna glove
    If your loafers come in too comfortable, remember loafers have no lace mechanism
    to tighten them at a later date...insole is the answer.

9. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this.

10. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

I have been very lucky and my "guess" (which involved reading every Vass post SF for months) resulted in the right size the first time I ordered. I actually hate loafers and despite my being firmly middle aged think they project a country club image I don't care for. That said, the Vass loafers actually look really good to my eyes and I may risk the order just to try them.

11. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

I googled how to measure my foot, I did it, scanned the prints and sent to Vass by email
    Yes, I had a pair that the problem with the instep made them almost unwearable
    You are welcome

12. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Keep us updated, don't think Vass will do it tho.

Seems like going bespoke is an easier route. Or SC's MTO...

13. Ilovelobbs

More blast from the past.....and present...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dddrees

I noticed that there's a number of Vass MTOs advertised on eBay by the following seller:

ascot_shoes

Has anyone purchased their Vass shoes this way, or is just better to order directly from Vass?

15. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I'd rather order from the SF members who offer the same service.

16. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Order from Vass.

17. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I would say there are advantages and disadvantages to both routes, rather than declaring one to be "better".

It's cheaper to buy directly from Vass. And of course, you get to choose style, last, colour, and materials. But if Ascot (or another reseller) has a shoe you want, that factor becomes a push. And re-sellers offer both immediate delivery (versus a 4-6 week wait) and multiple convenient payment options. Whether those factors are worth the premium is up to you.

I have purchased 2 pairs of Vass shoes from Ascot, and I am very happy with both product and service - particularly the promptness and ease of communication and quick shipment by registered post (versus a courier, which invariably attracts both full duties and taxes as well as additional brokerage fees). In fact, those two factors alone easily make up for the price difference versus direct order from Vass shipped by courier.

And standing in line at my bank, wading through wire transfer forms and waiting for several days for confirmation of transfer is decidedly less convenient that than the half-dozen mouse clicks and keystrokes it took to make payment to Ascot.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  18. dddrees

Good points, and I was starting to think the same thing about some of these points you made as well. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't the only one of the same opinion. Thanks for taking the time to respond and share your thoughts.

19. dddrees

I thought these looked kinda neat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Funky. Bold. Very different colour combo. Me like.