• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bigasahouse

Reaction score

I think what i'll do is ask my friend to measure the popular sizes (40-44) and last (F,U,K,P2) for a start.At the very least, we have an early indication to what the measurements are.
Hopefully Vass would allow their last to be measured.I just think his would really help people in their sizing on top of comparing it with other lasts from other brands.

How about 47? Please!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm thinking about ordering my 1st pair. I'd like a scotchgrain NST. I get the impression that the usual last for that shoe would be the Peter or New Peter. Would it be heretical or hideous to go with the 3636 or Budapest last?
I got the Antik Cognac Norweger in 3636 because I can't fit into the Peter. 3636 is considerably wider where it counts for me. It looks more or less the same as the Peter-- which is to say, lovely in this application. :)

Vass's website has a pic of NST in the Budapester last. In the right setting (or on the correct foot), that could be very useful as well.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Incidentally, the Vass website has a whole batch of new designs. Most won't survive the scrutiny of time, although it's interesting that they now offer sharkskin.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

VASS should start taking Visa/MC and add 3% service charge on top, that would have been cheaper to everyone than ridiculous business of wire transfers that still (in 21Century) requires you to fax papers or appear at the bank in person.
No one yet mentioned that when you pay $45.00 for international transfer your lovely bank ***** you on exchange rate, so in actuality you end up paying around 60.00 for the whole thing.
/rant :embar:

only because US banks cannot handle international standards, don't blame VASS, please. ty.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm thinking about ordering my 1st pair. I'd like a scotchgrain NST. I get the impression that the usual last for that shoe would be the Peter or New Peter. Would it be heretical or hideous to go with the 3636 or Budapest last?

all of them are "good". really depends on your measurements, imo.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Incidentally, the Vass website has a whole batch of new designs. Most won't survive the scrutiny of time, although it's interesting that they now offer sharkskin.

Wow - there are some stinkers in that batch, 121, 135 and 138 in particular don't do it for me.

Conversely there are also some to love - 128, 129, 132 and 134 would be welcome to come live at my house. :D (although I doubt some of the particular lasts would work for my narrowish foot.)

Saratorial_Splender

Reaction score

special makeup, imo. special request. by default RTW ends at EU 45/46.

Why, 10-12% of men in teh wetern hemesphere have size 13 (47). I think it is economics, less material to make smaller sizes. These defaults were put in place in 1920s - 1930s, when the average shoe size was 7.5, now the average is 9.5. Perhaps we need new defaults.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why, 10-12% of men in teh wetern hemesphere have size 13 (47). I think it is economics, less material to make smaller sizes. These defaults were put in place in 1920s - 1930s, when the average shoe size was 7.5, now the average is 9.5. Perhaps we need new defaults.

I was just talking what RTW offers today across different brands. i'm not in the position to change defaults, though. sorry for the misunderstanding.

i can understand that EU 47 is a certain endeavour in the aspects of shoemaking.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
13 US is size 45.5 or 46,

I'm US 8 and 41 is big for me. 9,10,11,12,13 - 42,43,44,45,46

I have a few martinis down, not sure if im correct but I think I am. I don't think 12% of the population is 13. Can you imagine a 3 eyelet F last size 47?

bluthton

Reaction score

+1. Only by bank transfer which is quite troublesome.

I'd recommend using CurrencyFair then. Should be about $3 to transfer the funds and with some luck you can get better than live rates

Last edited:

sm31

Reaction score

I'd recommend using CurrencyFair then. Should be about $3 to transfer the funds and with some luck you can get better than live rates

Interesting.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if with a service like this funds are deposited on the receiving end account in HUF currency, does that qualify for the Vass cash discount?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics