1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ncdobson

ncdobson Well-Known Member

Wow! Great pic. I've been wondering what the 2-toned traditional models look like in real life. Bordeaux toes & antique cognac?

2. sstomcat

sstomcat Well-Known Member

looks brown pebble grain and 6125 cognac to me...

3. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

"Dear Mr. Louis XIV!

Thank you for your email!

Also for the information. These details are enough for us. We know the size, model, color, last. I’ll need only your shipping and/or billing address.

Once we have received your transfer I’ll let you know. We’ll start the production this week already.

If I can help or you have questions left, then please contact me!

Sincerely yours,

Rezső Kuti

Sales Manager"

:bounce2:

4. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to the Pictures!

5. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

I take a US 11.5. Part of the reason is I have gout which, though under control, makes my feet unhappy if they are too tightly confined. I should technically wear an 11 (and do in a few "softer shoes like suede Aldens) but prefer the slight extra roominess of the 11.5. I would say the Vass 45 is pretty close to US 11.5.

6. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

Help me design my next Vass pair, if you please...

It's a tossup between a Bordeaux Shell or Red Cognac Suede....but the design will be a pair of Chukka boots.

On a Vibram sole.

I am loath to try the U Last as I don't think I'll like it, so F Last may be the go as it's suitably sleek.

Also want to explore if a medallion will look good on both the shell and the suede. (a la St. Crispin)

Any thoughts on which material is more preferable? (These might be worn in wet weather a fair bit.)

And also what the welt stitching should be....I keep hearing about the Goyser Welt...is this the right shoe to have it?

Cheers

7. justsayno

justsayno Well-Known Member

Handled some shoes marked in what i think, UK sizing. Is this a new ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. Notch

Notch Well-Known Member

They do it sometimes, just convert the size to EU. I have a pair of UK 9's, that's a 43 EU.

9. Eteo

Eteo Member

Do we still have to pay VAT even though the shoes are exported?

10. sdolina

sdolina Well-Known Member

No

11. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

I've been pondering how this beefier, thicker calf Vass uses will age. Could someone please add a pic of, say, one five-year-old pair?

12. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Does Vass make veldtschoen construction?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  13. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

veldtschoen is a machine made construction. vass only does handwelted.

I've never seen a norwegian construction (i.e. upper turned outwards) but they do make goiser construction (welt on the outside).

1 person likes this.
  14. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  15. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

Well, after weeks of waiting and listening to reports on how Vass can be a minefield in terms of sizing unless you go through a proxy (not only was this said to me by a proxy but also by a proxy of the proxy LOL), the results are in and they speak for themselves.

Vass 3-Eyelet Derby in Oil Green Boxcalf on the F-Last, Single Sole with natural edge trim, Size 42, a PERFECT fit for my US9D feet:
    I love the softness, substance and suppleness of this leather...it has to be touched to be believed. Oil green is (to me) a fantastic hue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up:

Loafer in Whiskey Shell Cordovan on the New Peter Last, single sole, size 42...once again, the fit is perfectly fine. I will say, though, that New Peter Last is a tad roomier than FLast although it is not glaringly felt. I may or may not wear these with a thin insole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My overall impression of dealing with Vass, payment transfers, Reszo Kuti and the overall ease of transacting...easily a 9 on 10. I will say though that I did not micromanage the design of the shoe...just picked the style, the colour and last and left the artistic details to them...I do not trust myself too much to meddle in shoe construction.

Am I keeping these shoes? Hell, yeah.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    5 people like this.
  16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Green derbies are marvelous.

17. Louis XIV

Fiddler, thanks a lot for sharing your impressions with Vass.
    I have not yet received my own pair of Vass, but this is due to myself waiting for a new bank card, while Vass is already present in producing my shoes.
    Thus of course I can not comment on the fit for myself or the quality of construction, but I cannot agree more on the ease of dealing with Mr. Kuti.
    He always came back to me promptly and being an English second-language speaker like myself, all his emails were plain, friendly and had an answer to all of my questions.
    So far an absolute pleasure and recommendation from my side.

Very brave of yourself to go for two pairs of unknown lasts on your first order.
    Great choice on the styles and leathers, they both look absolutely gorgeous.
    Wear them in good health!

18. sdolina

sdolina Well-Known Member

Very nice shoes Fiddler, wear in good health!

I just received my Vass boots and can confirm that the direct deal with Vass went very smooth.

19. Louis XIV

^
    pics or didn't happen! ;)

20. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member