1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Zarium

Zarium Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the sizing help. Medwed, interesting that you should suggest 39.5 - I was thinking either 40 or 40.5 in U or K last. The two pairs that were on the F and in 41 were about a size too big, so I guessed that 40.5 would be correct for U/K since I have been reading suggestions to half-size up from F.

Also, is that color that everyone marvels over "antique cognac" or "6125 cognac"? I know this may sound vague, but lots seem to say that it's one of Vass' best colors. I thought there was only one "antique cognac" color until I saw the color chart on the previous page. There's this beautiful pair of austerity brogues posted some time ago that I really like - I'll get the photo later (at work). I thought they're antique cognac but now I'm not sure if they're 6125...

2. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Can't speak for what 'lots seem to say' but IMO it's 6125 'Dark Cognac' which is most versatile & most like a generic burgundy.

In this pic Dark Cognac is in the middle, Antic Cognac is on the outside. Antic Cognac has a lot more brown in it. Click and enlarge pics for better look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^ Antic Cog

[​IMG]
    Dark Cog

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. Zarium

Zarium Well-Known Member

These are the pair of austerity brogues I was mentioning. I'll base my MTO on this; but I'm still deciding between antique cognac and 6125 dark cognac. I'm leaning more towards antique though - I owned a pair of oxfords that were a size too big in antique cognac and I really liked that color.

4. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

^ Antique is the way to go, no question about it

5. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

It seems all of us know that Vass is one of the trickiest brands in terms of sizing. I was wondering would it help forum members to determine their sizes if someone took the measurements of the lasts (U,F,K ,P2 etc.) in the sizes offered by Vass based on the following:

1) Width
    2) Length
    3) Toes
    4) Instep
    5) Arch; and
    6) Through the heel

This is illustrated in this picture (though measurements will betaken on a last rather then on an actual foot as illustrated below).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I have a friend in Budapest whose studio is just 10 minutes away from the Vass shop and he is willing to help me out on this. Was just wondering whether this would be helpful in helping to determine the sizing for Vass or will it be a waste of time.

6. Francisco

Francisco Well-Known Member

Nice!

7. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

I agree, antique cognac is a beautiful color, one of my first Vass was 6125 dark cognac and I was very disappointed, it's just another red, I much prefer burgundy (bordeaux) if I wanted a red shoe.

8. bigasahouse

bigasahouse Well-Known Member

I think that would be super helpful. Thanks!

9. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

terrorsquad, it would be extremely helpful. I'll put my order in now. I have a feeling if this happens, orders are going to take off!!!

10. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Well-Known Member

In my experience, it is much cheaper to go direct. Even after shipping and custome duties, you will still save over US $250 a pair. I used both, direct cam to around US $750 inclusive of everything (shipping and 8% customs duties). Ordering through a rpoxy, you are looking at $1,050 to $1,200 /pair in calf. Exotics is another story.

11. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Through forum proxy kolecho it is $650 shipped worldwide for calf. He lowered the price to take into account currency differences.

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

+1

13. justsayno

justsayno Well-Known Member

If ordering Direct there is the option to exchange but not proxy

14. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Well-Known Member

I don't think kolecho's prices ever were in the $1050 to $1200 range for the calf shoes. They were more in the $700 to $ 750 range previously.

15. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

+1

16. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Quote:Ascot shoes are pretty expensive for Vass proxy. Forum proxies are usually around $700 ($650 for the latest Kolecho orders).

17. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Well-Known Member

This would be extremely helpful but it would be a lot of work to measure all of the sizes and lasts.

18. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Terror, it would be great if you could take some measurements. I fully support the idea.

19. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

FTFY

20. Naka

Naka Well-Known Member

Terror, you are one of my favourite new posters.