1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Bonafe 946 has a severely cramped toe box. Also by definition a chiseled to will be lower than a round toe - that sloping topography is what makes it chiseled.

Compare Vass F to, say EG 82. Both fairly sleek round toe lasts. Vass is not appreciably higher. And nobody says the 82 last has a high toe box.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Oh I'm not challenging you, Roger! I'm definitely nowhere near as experienced as you are. Just relaying my own fit experiences. And sadly, I don't own any EG (yet). For my foot, the F and Alden TruBalance are the "deepest" lasts I own shoes on.

However, I'm quite positive that my perception is affected both by my flatter than average feet and the fact that my two F last pairs are in H width. I think I read somewhere that Mr. Vass increases foot volume as well as X axis width with each increase in fitting magnitude.

3. deburn

deburn Well-Known Member

So it looks like I'll be making a trip to Budapest in the near future! My wife's pretty cool, generally, but I didn't think she'd agree. This might be the strangest thing I've ever done, at least sober: travel thousands of miles to buy shoes :slayer: :D :lol:

1 person likes this.
  4. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Well-Known Member

...sounds pretty normal to me...lol.
    I'll be making my second trip end of year.

2 people like this.
  5. deburn

deburn Well-Known Member

So the process is you schedule an appointment with Mr. Kuti and then will they measure your feet and make recommendations which last/s would be better for my feet?

6. stephenaf2003

Not sure about others, that's how it worked for me. I emailed with him a few months before.

7. stephenaf2003

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beauties inbound from Mr Kuti

4 people like this.
  8. deburn

deburn Well-Known Member

Those look great!

9. stephenaf2003

Was expecting a different color, but I really love this color. Can't wait to have them in my hands and see the color in person.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

They'll look different in person, I'm sure. The showroom's lighting can be misleading.

11. stephenaf2003

Yep, still it will be quite a distance from the reddish hue I was expecting.

12. ino68

ino68 Well-Known Member

Did you order the Tarnsjo grain Valway ala shoegazing.se?

Mine had to be delayed because Tarnsjo had supplied unsuitable leather according to Vass standards, and so there was a delay in ordering another batch.

I suspect this batch wasn't the chestnut that was used in the initial run of the Sarek, and Vass planned to dye the boots to chestnut once made up from the light tan the leather came as from the factory.

I asked for mine unfinished, with the leather as-is from the factory and they look exactly like yours. I too was expecting a chestnut hue.

I plan on trying to dye them chestnut over the summer, as I now have two tan boots!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  13. stephenaf2003

Yes that was exactly what I was after. The other disappointment for me was I was after a more grained look, the photos give an appearance of almost like a full grain calf leather. I will give them a chance though. I'm hoping I will like them once they arrive.

14. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Yikes - those don't look like grain at all on my monitor. They are very handsome boots, but sound very different indeed than what you were expecting.

15. stephenaf2003

lol...yeah I've gotten a few boots from them and heard of the, "Vassisms," but this is my first experience with it. I think I like them though, I'll be there in December, so I I'll try again then and this time be face to face with Rezso. That should ensure success.

16. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

Vass typically doesnt have grain leathers, other than the pebble grains. They will however make grain boot and shoes for runs with supplied leathers, so long as the leather meets minimum standards.

17. stephenaf2003

This was a grain leather they did have, and were doing a special makeup with. Hopefully, Rezso and I can figure out if they have anymore of it left.

18. Gentlemenclover

Gentlemenclover Active Member

New delivery for me today.

[​IMG]

GC

8 people like this.
  19. EUtroll

EUtroll Well-Known Member

Very nice pair! F last?

I'm considering ordering the same model but on the New Peter last. Do you guys think it would be sufficiently elegant despite the chunkier last?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  20. Gentlemenclover

Gentlemenclover Active Member

Thanks, Yes of course for the last F.
    In my opinion this model remains very elegant even in suede.
    I actually being another order on a black suede this time.

Regards
    GC