• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anzo

Reaction score

You mean the pointy one with the floating medallion?

Do you know what's the one next to it, second from the right?

Sorry, I didn't pay enough attention when talking to the staff to remember what they called the different cordovan hues. I am sure there are a couple of shell experts in this forum who could assist!

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next to the others on the table, it looks a little red, but I think that is the cigar example they use. My last dark cigar boot is 100% brown.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am about to go absolutely insane....
bounce2.gif

I am ready to order my first pair of Vass...and the hunt is on.

Right now I am engaged in breathing exercises to calm myself down.

I am thinking the Vass Old English Oxford Boot on F last in 43.5 G fitting in Cognac Cordovan.

Perhaps having them add a medallion on the toe.

At this point, who is the best and cheapest shop? I am working with Notch and am talking with NMWA as well.

The latter says no cordovan high boots. So, that may mark them off the list.

Notch is also been helpful.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen,
I am about to go absolutely insane....:bounce2:

I am thinking the Vass Old English Oxford Boot on F last in 43.5 G fitting in Cognac Cordovan.

At this point, who is the best and cheapest shop?  I am working with Notch and am talking with NMWA as well.

The latter says no cordovan high boots.  So, that may mark them off the list.

I'm in a similar state of mind. Though I have yet to get sized properly. Notch's advice pegs me around 45 G.
Do all of the lasts offer wide fittings? Or only certain ones?

velomane

Reaction score

Do you know what's the one next to it, second from the right?

News from a couple days ago is that Vass has black, deep cognac, cigar and Oxblood colors for shell. If that is the case, then the second from right is deep cognac, and the middle one is cigar. At least that's what I figure.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar state of mind. Though I have yet to get sized properly. Notch's advice pegs me around 45 G.
Do all of the lasts offer wide fittings? Or only certain ones?

That sounds about right. Its better they are bit big rather than smaller.

its my understanding that all of the Italian last come in widths up to "H".

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

News from a couple days ago is that Vass has black, deep cognac, cigar and Oxblood colors for shell. If that is the case, then the second from right is deep cognac, and the middle one is cigar. At least that's what I figure.

This is good to see. So, perhaps I will have a better understanding of what to expect.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen,
I am about to go absolutely insane....:bounce2:

At this point, who is the best and cheapest shop?  I am working with Notch and am talking with NMWA as well.

The latter says no cordovan high boots.  So, that may mark them off the list.

Sounds great, but based on Namor's visit last week, Vass has stopped attempting to make shell oxford boots.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Actually, all these look a bit warm.

Does Vass not have any cool shades of brown shell cordovan? Or at least shades that are a bit neutral?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's what they showcased in the store this Monday. The center one is a brown shell I believe.

width

"Horween color #8"

the left 3 are all what horween calls color 8. vass lists 5 colors but they really only have 5 "ideal" colors and then variations in between. ive had 6,7? boots/shoes made with shell and have received my "ideal" color once. and that happened to be my first pair. every other pair could be classified as something entirely different by another shoe company. ive learned that their is no ideal makeup, instead only an optimal makeup made from whatever shell they have thats closest to what you want. ultimately its the shoemakers/designers decision and ive learned to just let them do their thing.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sounds great, but based on Namor's visit last week, Vass has stopped attempting to make shell oxford boots.

yeah something with this batch of shell is causing the shell to crack across the vamp so they are holding off new shell bal boots

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads