1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. TOstyle

TOstyle Well-Known Member

Just went through this thread after a while. I'm going to try to attend the meet-up event - looking forward to it!

1 person likes this.
  2. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Well-Known Member

I really hope anyone can walk in and feel included.

Maybe @jokb can pull in a few of his friends.

3. suitforcourt

@jokb - Can you distribute the event to your friends as well? Thanks.

4. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Well-Known Member

Do you mean from one of their house brands? I've always wondered how their stuff holds up. My sister enjoys shopping from their in-house items.

5. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Has anyone experienced Massimo Dutti's stuff? They're higher-end Zara and many of the products they have on the website look pretty impressive.

6. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

Although I've only ever bought a tie (a grey wool Made in Italy) and a pair of suede loafers (made in Portugal) from MD, I do check them out regularly. I never walk into Zara anymore, since I can't get behind the quality and styles, but MD is clearly a step above in both respects. They do have sales once in a while as well, and items seem to get discounted by a decent amount. I've never tried on a pair of trousers, so I can't speak to that, but their sport coats generally look decent and from what I remember, the fit was OK for myself as well (YMMV).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. akoustas

akoustas Well-Known Member

@KaleidoscopicK

Yup, the house brand is called Le 31, but they have other sub brands as well.

It can be a bit confusing as the quality differs within the line but I've only had good experiences with the linen items. Much better than Massimo Dutti at least.

To answer @nqtri ...Massimo Dutti is way overpriced for what it is. I purchased a pair of trousers and a linen shirt from them a couple years back and both looked absolutely ragged by the end of the season. My wife used to shop there for her work wear but the quality was quite disappointing. You're better off either going to Zara and getting stuff on the cheap or stepping up to Club Monaco (if you're just looking at Mall brands) or a superior independent.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

I have items. A chino and a pair of Chukka boots. It's their slim fit chino that fits great and takes a beating. It's been washed over and over and still looks good. The Chukka is obviously glued but it's held up fine for the going on 3 years I've owned it.

Of course only buy stuff from there on sale. I paid $50 for the chino's and about $100 or so for the Chukka's

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

I've been interested in their chinos as they look nice but unfortunately have a label on the back pocket I believe. Also when are the sales?

10. suitforcourt

11. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Hey guys, small PSA. Stopped by Harry's Outlet, and although there weren't a tonne of great deals, there was a pair of Chuch's Sahara's in Navy Suede (gummy sole) for $169 in 7UK.

Note: They have three pairs at the store. BUT, two of the pairs have colour mismatches (one shoe is navy, the other one gray). I found one pair at the back wall that was coloured perfectly. If you can grab it, it's a good deal.

12. suitforcourt

Those are sweet prices. Not my size, and suede is too hard to take care of. Hopefully someone grabs them.

13. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Well-Known Member

I started a Toronto housing market thread for those considering a housing change or the economics of housing in the city more generally:
    http://www.styleforum.net/threads/toronto-housing-market-thread.541561/

Homeowners, come post your advice and worries about the bubble bursting.

Renters, come post about getting priced out.

Property developers and real estate agents...have some scotch and celebrate in your vicuna pyjamas, I guess?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM