1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Anybody here ever visit the Crockett & Jones factory shop? Can you comment on the experience and traveling there from London?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Well-Known Member

Taking the train from London Euston is easy. I bought my tickets online ahead of time. It should be noted that the C&J shop is only open Fridays and Saturdays. While you're in Northampton, check out the shoe museum too!

1 person likes this.
  3. Allen Dreadmon

Here is a map of the shoe factories I found a while ago.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Deoraby

Deoraby Active Member

my parents live an hour from Northampton...i head down to a couple of the factory shops once a year when I'm in the UK. The only shops i have been to in the last 18 months are Churchs and C&Js. Both very central. You could visit them without a car..some of the others, Cheaney for example, are further out.

my experience is that the C&J is the best of the lot. last time i was there i picked up Conistons for UK200 and Navy cap toe shoes for UK120. both pairs marked Sub but defects were pretty difficult to detect. The Conistons may have had some colour fading when purchased but I'm wearing them today and they look first quality after a few polishes.

Churches is pretty good too...but in my opinion prices have risen there a great deal over the last few years.

Both factory shops offered a decent selection across standard size ranges the last time i visited......C&J probably slightly more choice; churchs selection was a bit more out there...lots of green suede and polished binder. C&J tends to have more recognizable models...Hallam, Tetbury, Islay etc although you really shouldn't go expecting to find the model you want, in the colour you prefer, in the size you require...you will have to be a bit more open minded than that.

Im over in the UK in March and i might squeeze in a trip down.

If anyone is over in the UK i would also recommend the John Smedley factory shop in the Peak District. particularly if you can make it for their twice yearly factory sales....Smedleys that cost ~$300 in Rosens can be purchased from the factory shop for $50, year round, and drop further during the factory sales, particularly if you buy in bulk.

1 person likes this.
  5. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Well-Known Member

We should do a SF tour sometime. I think it'd be great fun.

6. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, this is very helpful!

7. goatamous

goatamous Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  8. burgerkong

burgerkong Well-Known Member

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

And the Saks Off 5th is a joke too. I guess the only decent one is the Harry outlet.

10. clarksdb

Have people been able to mostly avoid being hit by duty from Sam Hober when shipping via Canada Post? I know DHL and FedEX are guaranteed hits, and then some.

11. suitforcourt

I know you're all going to shun me and disown me, but Tom's Place does have gems.

At one of the airport centre seasonal sales, I grabbed every Cornelliani shirt on a table in my size. Paid $25 each. They have lasted me years, and have not shown signs of wear and tear.

Also, for pants like Braxx and Alberto, Tom's offers better prices than sales at Harry or equivalent.

They also have a lot of junk, so it's kind of like Winners. Need to have patience and luck to skim through the items.

I'm also a fan of the HR Outlet in Mississauga. Generally good service, and I always find something.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    2 people like this.
  12. Allen Dreadmon

^^ +1 on Tom's Place. I got lucky and picked up a Corneliani suit at the Kensington Market location.

1 person likes this.
  13. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Well-Known Member

Vaughan Mills in general just sucks. The Hr2 outlet carries garbage brands and the Harry Rosen store there will have the same items as Heartland for like 3x the cost. Makes no sense at all.

14. kasper007

kasper007 Well-Known Member

hr2 is the worst, but you need to dedicate serious time (or be really lucky) to pick out anything good at any of those outlet shops

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  15. TOBestWR

TOBestWR Active Member

I ordered 1 tie last fall and didn't get hit using Canada Post.

1 person likes this.
  16. KWang94

KWang94 Well-Known Member

Quote:How did you go about doing this? Did you just have to send in an email requesting this after making your purchase? I love the one Sam Hober tie that I own but duties definitely are a huge deterrent.

17. clarksdb

There is a shipping option when checking out.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  18. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

'sauga HR outlet > Vaughan
    Vaughan OffSaks > Sherway

...the Vaughan HR2 did indeed suck imo.

19. suitforcourt

They usually have their "luxury brand" suits on sale at 1500 for 3. If you pick up 3 Cornelliani suits for that price, you have struck gold.

20. TOBestWR

TOBestWR Active Member