1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

2. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to get in on an order for belts and split the cost of shipping, let me know. They just got a new shipment, so there are lots of sizes available. To see if a belt is eligible for the discount, use code October-Shirts-And-Belts.

http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/accessories/Belts

3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Hit up the Bay folks. I got 3 or 4 belts from there while on sale as mentioned. I wear each once a week and they're holding up fine for 2 years now :)

Also, I got a casual belt (dark brown) from the gap many years ago and I wear it all the time when wearing jeans. Still going strong. As Roger mentioned, belts aren't really something I spend money on. Most of the time you don't even see it, unless you live in a tropical climate year round.

I don't wear suits to work either

4. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

FWIW, I got custom belts made from affiliate member Equus leather in a variety of leathers and they're quality.

5. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I cheap out on belts too, but picked up a nice Lauren Ralph Lauren belt from the Bay for about $50. They're decent.

But if you really want a baller belt, I recommend hitting Harry's outlet. They usually have Canali/Zegna/Tom Ford belts in very large sizes on big discount. If the belt can be shortened, you've hit gold.

I remember they had a gold plated TF belt for $199. Canali and Zegna would obviously be cheaper.

1 person likes this.
  6. SamAdams59

SamAdams59 Member

Wow Equus looks amazing. I seem to be ordering a lot of stuff under the justification that the pound is low though lol!

7. Cityplace

Cityplace Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of Kent Wang bridle belts - very well made. His shipping is reasonable - just the CAD to USD is not.

8. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

This place in Ottawa makes excellent belts from single pieces of Buffalo. I guess it would just be hard if you're looking for a specific color but maybe you can message them. Found them based off a recommendation on this site a few years ago and have been happy with both my orders.

https://www.zelistore.com/collections/finished-belts?page=2

They also have the best shoe trees I've seen although their prices seem to reflect our shitty dollar atm but if you order multiple shoe trees, the prices are certainly reasonable. (Maybe a splitting option for a group here)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  9. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Well-Known Member

Duties are higher. Shoes are definitely 18%, and clothing is probably the same.

10. burgerkong

burgerkong Well-Known Member

FWIW there is a Nordstrom warehouse sale at Markham Fairgrounds today until the end of the week, expect to find nothing, but here's a 10% off coupon that's only valid today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

I have quite a few Epaulet belts that I feel are good value and have held up very well. But it's probably as much as I'd pay for a belt. I totally don't get the Hermes belt thing but to each his own of course.

12. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Same. When it comes to belt I would pay for the leather rather than the buckle. The most I'd probably pay is for Camina cordovan belt and that's it.

13. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Well-Known Member

I ordered a few Equus belts two years ago before they raised their prices, but I used USD so it didn't sting quite as much. I also have an Epaulet natural chromexcel belt that I intend on wearing whenever I get around to wearing my Viberg boots.

But then again, I have a black H&M belt I wear with jeans and chinos that's held up for almost five years, long before I got into menswear fashion.

In the end, it's all about what you can justify. I'm happy to spend money on formal and (to some extent) casual footwear and outerwear, but I'm not very inclined to spend a lot of money on pants.

14. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

Went into Nordstrom today... Wasn't terribly impressed by the men's selection. Shoe section was overwhelmingly focused on street wear and the clothing lines didn't seem to be all that different to what we already had access to. I did go through the suit section though.

Thoughts?

15. burgerkong

I'm a toolbag.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  16. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Well-Known Member

Did the Yorkdale location do a private event or something, or are you talking about the Eaton Centre location? I know the former is not opening until the 21st.

In terms of streetwear+contemporary casual clothing, it's pretty decent on the men's side. I finally have a place to handle Lemaire in person and I don't have to go to Yorkville to check out Yohji Yamamoto. They also downscaled the store a little bit so you'll find a decent selection of some of the more inexpensive labels.

In terms of classic menswear, it's the usual selection of brands found in Every Other Department Store. The dress shoe section is especially weak; unless somebody needed another outlet for Allen Edmonds.

No Eidos, either.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  17. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone ordered from Gustin to ship to Canada before and how did it go? They're offering some nice Harrington jackets I might jump on.

18. burgerkong

Oops, I'm an idiot. I thought he meant the warehouse sale, I'll delete my comment lol.

19. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Although I'm off the brand now.
    What do you want to know? Regular post shipping 50/50 chance at tax. Paid maybe twice out of 7-8 orders

1 person likes this.
  20. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Ah thank you, that's the first thing I wanted to know. Just tax, no duty since it's made in usa right?

And quality-wise, up to the made in USA brand they advertise?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016