• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jokb

Reaction score
^^^ I'd say that by far THE most popular Galway makeup uses grained calf for the shaft (DOAK / Walnut cc).

Though whether Vass grain is as supple as that from EG remains an open question.

Now I need to go look over some Valway makeups.

Agree, the iconic Galway make up of doak / walnut grain is what I love the most. Will verify the grain suppleness later.

There's tons of unique makeups that can be done. Shade of burgundy for both upper and shaft would be pretty cool too.

jokb

Reaction score
Now were talking!

Is scotchgrain is the best shaft choice? Is it supple enough, or is the usual "grained shafts" we see on 2 tone boots like Galways normally Delapre, Peccary, Lama etc... All of which are very soft. Just wondering...

But I would be interested in any of these combos..

Dark Brown Scotch/Mid Brown Suede
Antic Cognac Calf/Dark Brown Scotch
Oxblood Scotch Grain/Brown Suede
Burgundy Scotch Grain/Brown Suede

Cross posted over at Vass appreciation thread as well. Potential Valway makeup

1. Antic cognac calf and cognac grain (I can take another pic with dark brown scotch)

2. Bordeaux calf and red suede

What do you think?

ADub

Reaction score

Has anyone checked out Gotstyle's eidos selection recently?

Last time I was there was in Dec and there was hardly anything. I would think Saks would have a good selection. Anyone know if there's a grand opening sale of some sort?

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cross posted over at Vass appreciation thread as well. Potential Valway makeup 1. Antic cognac calf and cognac grain (I can take another pic with dark brown scotch) 2. Bordeaux calf and red suede What do you think?
Both are wonderful but I would really be after #2

jokb

Reaction score
Actually #1 should've been this;

Thanks for weighing in. Love option 2 as well. I think I'm going to order these.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted. Ordering both? Any other details? Last, welt, sole?

Last edited:

jokb

Reaction score
Yeah both. Suede on F, grain on P2. Suede probably haf sole with rubber oversole and flush metal taps. Grain probably single dainite. Speed hooks on both.

But let's see if there are others that would chime in and make me change my mind (or add a third pair)

sungmineyo

Reaction score

Actually #1 should've been this;

Thanks for weighing in. Love option 2 as well. I think I'm going to order these.

Love this option but I would be also in for option 2. Can you give us details on last, sole and size range?

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone checked out Gotstyle's eidos selection recently?

Ever since I learned that they don't carry suits in Size 36, I've never felt compelled to look into their Eidos selection anymore. Last time I went in, they only carried sport coats and suits. Not sure if that's changed since.

Last time I was there was in Dec and there was hardly anything. I would think Saks would have a good selection. Anyone know if there's a grand opening sale of some sort?

Saks in Canada will not be carrying Eidos in store at this time, but it can be ordered in from the USA. Although if enough demand is made for it, that could change.

As far as I've heard, there's no grand opening sale but it is double points weekend for those who opt in for the SaksFirst membership program.

Also: Saks will be carrying Corthay. No Edward Green, though.
frown.gif

NickInTO

Reaction score
Some great deals on Eidos sportscoats at GotStyle. A blue double breasted in 42, a check jacket and a light grey donegal in 44. All 40% off the sale price. Range from $550 to $680 before the 40%. Also a suede vest and a suede jacket thing. A few light blue shirts in size 16 and up.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah both. Suede on F, grain on P2. Suede probably haf sole with rubber oversole and flush metal taps. Grain probably single dainite. Speed hooks on both.

But let's see if there are others that would chime in and make me change my mind (or add a third pair)

They are sounding good. Not really drawn to the suede combo as much.

There is something about that Oxblood or Bordeaux Grain that gets my interest. And lets not even talk about the navy or green grain.... Damn.

stanchri

Reaction score
Some great deals on Eidos sportscoats at GotStyle. A blue double breasted in 42, a check jacket and a light grey donegal in 44. All 40% off the sale price. Range from $550 to $680 before the 40%. Also a suede vest and a suede jacket thing. A few light blue shirts in size 16 and up.

Those are some great prices. Is it this in store only?

ADub

Reaction score

Ever since I learned that they don't carry suits in Size 36, I've never felt compelled to look into their Eidos selection anymore. Last time I went in, they only carried sport coats and suits. Not sure if that's changed since.

Saks in Canada will not be carrying Eidos in store at this time, but it can be ordered in from the USA. Although if enough demand is made for it, that could change.

As far as I've heard, there's no grand opening sale but it is double points weekend for those who opt in for the SaksFirst membership program.

Also: Saks will be carrying Corthay. No Edward Green, though. :(  

I know what you mean about the 36. It's hard enough finding stores that stock it regularly let alone on sale. Harry Rosen tends to have quite a few but I don't consider their discount on tailored clothing that great.

Saks not carrying Eidos dampens my enthusiam to stop by significantly but I'll probably still check out the store. Will they stock Isaia?

Corthay is certainly interesting and I'd like to check them out. I can count three places that stock Edward Green off the top of my head but I suspect Saks would have had the lowest price, especially on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads