1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

My guess, this was a test program. Smaller in scale to start and a capacity the Canadian supplier can deal with. Amazon also saves on shipping and duties by making the suits in Canada. But, my guess is as the suits check out, and they require larger volume, the supplier will not be able to meet the demand and they will eventually have to move production to Asia.

I wish we were in a position to manufacture here.

2. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

That makes sense... Someone like Amazon can afford to "buy the market".

3. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

Just found this thread and I am reading through it now but what's the best deal on pocket squares in Toronto? Can be online or in store. I need to build my collection from scratch basically. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  4. Chambertin

Chambertin Well-Known Member

eBay. There is a user scarvesilove that sells a bunch, also styleunicorn has some nice Drake's, and I personally am not afraid of buying abroad as a small, pliable package is not likely to get hit with duties in my experience.

2 people like this.
  5. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Hey guys, need advice from people who have had issues with Harry Rosen.

I ordered two Tilford suits recently in 39R. They were stock singles, not MTM. That is, I picked the fabric and they would have it made in whatever model I wanted (I chose Ashton).

in store, the Ashton has a boc of 30'. The suits I got came with a boc of 29'.

I had the trousers tailored before realizing I got a short jacket.

So I've asked that I exchange the suits and do a do over. Now they want me to speak to their GM to talk about the issues with the suits. They don't sound too eager to replace them.

I paid full price for the suits and expected the same measurements as found on their OTR models, which I was told I was getting.

Anybody have any idea what I can expect?

6. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

They will make it right 100% IMO.

7. Mojomojo

Mojomojo Member

I'm looking at getting a suit in April for June. Currently, most of my suits are OTR and do not fit well anymore. I am thinking of spending ~$1000 for either MTM or Bespoke (can i get bespoke ~$1500?). Would it be smarter to purchase 2 cheaper MTM suits at $500-600 or one higher quality one? I don't wear suits too often, maybe 5-10 times a year.

What recommendations do we have for stores in Toronto?

8. casadisartoria

casadisartoria Well-Known Member

@Mojomojo
    Check out The Dirty Inc. over on King East. JS Vann does an MTM suit starting at a 1000. All made in Canada with great workmanship and the service is excellent.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. akoustas

akoustas Well-Known Member

+1 on the Dirty Inc. My new tailor going forward. JS is great to work with

1 person likes this.
  10. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Since your suits do not fit well anymore, do I assume correctly that they fit well at one point, but no longer? If it's a matter of weight gain or loss, do you feel that you no OTR suits will fit you at all? Keep in mind that MTM - unlike true bespoke - merely involves small alterations to existing OTR sizes and patterns. If MTM will work, OTR plus a good alterations tailor will probably work as well.

You can often find fully canvassed Samuelsohn suits on sale at the Rosen outlets for $500-600. You could do a whole lot worse with your available funds. You couldn't hope to do a whole lot better. I picked up this lovely flannel three-piece there a couple years back for $500.

[​IMG] Problem is that it's hit an miss - you have to pass by and see what they have from time to time. There's no guarantee that on the day you go, you will find a suit you are looking for that drastically reduced. But then they do seem to have some sort of sale every second week.

11. Mojomojo

Mojomojo Member

Thanks, just looked over their site and there doesn't seem to be much information, but I will send them an email or drop by.

Previously with my OTR suits, I think they fit relatively well after a bit of tailoring (possibly also because my expectations were low). With OTR, it's hard to find one that fits nicely now because of my body/weight/height. Being shorter + going to the gym + having a big bum doesn't help.

If I were to go with an OTR suit, it would probably cost considerably less, but maybe doesn't fit like a glove? I guess if MTM and OTR + tailoring is about the same, I may have to find a good tailor to point out what can/cannot work.

12. burgerkong

burgerkong Well-Known Member

For the Oly lifters among us, just like last time round, $83 AdiPowers - tax in, free express shipping. White/Black colourway. No conditions!

[​IMG]

13. casadisartoria

casadisartoria Well-Known Member

Yes, the website does not give too much information but you may be able to get a sense of the suits he's done through the IG feed. He's good with emails so you can ask him what you need through there. Alternatively, just hit bookings and schedule yourself for a design meeting with him. He'll go over the whole process with you including fabrics, fittings, pricing, etc. Shirts are reasonable too, at 150 each. Best of luck!

14. othertravel

Hey guys,

As a followup to the grenadine discussion earlier, Harry's now carries solid grenadines by Drake (fina grossa).

15. othertravel

Deets on tie and shirt?

16. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Eton shirt and I'll check the tie when I get home.

17. burgerkong

Oh and in case anyone else was wondering, Septieme Largeur does NOT refund VAT. Reason being is that when using a North American IP address, the pricing is automatically updated and VAT deducted (like most sites). So what we see is the price, plus shipping.

18. Duppy

Duppy Well-Known Member

For anyone looking for good shoe trees at a great price, check out Brooks Brothers. With the Corporate Members sale today, shoe trees are $26 all in.

1 person likes this.
  19. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Thanks so much. I seriously forgot about the shoe trees and I left the store 2 hours ago.

20. burgerkong

If it's any consolation, the trees can be picked up nearly anywhere unbranded. IIRC they're Rochester or Woodlore and run around $16-$20 typically. Check Marshalls/Winners, I think I picked mine up for $12 from the last time I went to New York at Century 21. Nordstrom Rack has them too.

1 person likes this.