1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. sentry

sentry Member

that's brilliant, thanks.

2. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Well-Known Member

So, because I'm a cool guy, when I get a day off I make a massive spreadsheet to relax.

Today, I made a large sheet comparing SF CBD ties from all those terribly expensive makers that SF seems to like.

I thought other people might find it useful. Here it is:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O3HmfQNC60MJRwfPnlde0p7zkOp1DhjwqQkJwv3J-VA/edit?usp=sharing

It basically compares the costs of SF-approved CBD ties, and OCBD shirts. But the way it's set up, it could be expanded to suits, shoes, etc.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Awesome. My Sam Hober Grenadine is exceptional. My Kent Wang sadly fell apart quickly but could be a fluke.

4. chiggyv

chiggyv Well-Known Member

Wanted to stop in and give Ivor at Woolridge shoes my highest recommend. He was very patient with me trying on multiple lasts and sizes and helped me narrow down my size in the Loake Kempton. Unfortunately, I personally couldn't justify a purchase with him as his prices are very high compared to Pediwear and Herring. However, if you want to avoid the troubles of international shipping then he should be your first stop for Loake and Cheaney purchases.

1 person likes this.
  5. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

My experience with Kent Wang is that certain things he does well at a good price, at least before the CAD tanked, such as pocket squares and polos, though I have not purchased a polo from him. His shipping rates for small items are also very reasonable. The first pocket square I purchased from him had a small stain on it and he offered to send me another one of equal value free so I can vouch for his customer service.

6. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Well-Known Member

I have two Wangs (tee hee, two wangs), and I they both held up well for me. They got some pulls (Grenadine grossa), but you could pull them through to the other side.

I also have a couple of Chipp grenadines (grenadine fina) , which are really cheap, but I find the knot to be a bit chunky and difficult to get a good dimple out of. Nice material, but the interlining it pretty thick. The navy is a bit weird - kind of grey-ish - but good value for money.

I have yet to try Hober, but everybody seems to love them.

Insead of buying 1 new one from each, which it appears would cost $1097, without duties, I'm going to keep an eye on the B&S section of Stylefourm.

7. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

Ivor is a good guy but yeah his prices are high, at least for Loake. Cheaney is probably on the high side as well but if it weren't for people like him there is unlikely to be anyone else carrying Cheaney. He happened to be wearing his personal pair of Cheaney when I spoke to him, which he had for 20 years, and they looked great.

8. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

This spreadsheet could become a really great resource with everyone's input and updates. Given the weakness of the CAD it would be nice to have additional columns for the cost in CAD either from a local source or elsewhere in Canada. I suspect in a lot of cases when you factor in potential taxes and duties from buying internationally it might be cheaper to buy in Canada.

1 person likes this.
  9. akoustas

akoustas Well-Known Member

Ivor's prices are a bit steep, but unfortunately you won't do a ton better on Herring with when you factor in the exchange rate, shipping rate and then finally duties. It's about $400 at checkout + at least $60 in duties.

I bought a pair, spoke him down to about $500 and he tossed in some shoe cream so ultimately you end up a pretty much even.

10. djdanniedee

djdanniedee Well-Known Member

anyone know how much Ivor is charging for Cheaney? I walked by him twice a day to work but never have time to drop in.

11. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

Considering Loake is $525 there Cheaney has to be at least $6-700. I did ask him about boots and for Cheaney you are looking at $700 and up for sure.

12. Cityplace

Cityplace Well-Known Member

Thanks for this - the tanking CAD makes me sad....

13. Deoraby

Deoraby Active Member

Herring offer shipping through post now rather than just UPS ( I guess they use Royal Mail)....ive done this twice and have received goods without any fees levied both times...one pair was cheaney, one pair Sanders.
    Holt Renfrew had the remainder of their Cheaney stock in the sale...down to $299 for certain pairs. I don't know if there is anything left.

1 person likes this.
  14. akoustas

Thanks for the tip, that's very useful!

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Just a FYI. After this month no UK retailer will be able to send Loake shoes to the USA or Canada.

Pediwear just announced it over at the loake appreciation thread

16. akoustas

Wow! I suppose it makes sense though, they have a local website and all. You need to protect your suppliers.

17. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Cheaney starts at $625-$650 at Ivor's. Holt's is more expensive.

18. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Not to be difficult, but how can you give him your highest recommendation when you didn't even buy anything from him? You used his store to try on lasts.

19. chiggyv

chiggyv Well-Known Member

I was shopping specifically for Loake Kempton's. Ivor quoted me $600 for those, and told me the Cheaney equivalent would be closer to $800. Ended up ordering from Pediwear last night, was $280CDN all in.

Terrible news, glad I made my Kempton purchase last night. Loake's are too expensive locally so that will be the extent of my Loake collection sadly.

20. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

Do you get hit with duties/tax with purchase of one tie from Sam Hober?