1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

Have you had custom shirts from them before? If so how did you find the fit?

Good to know it's not UPS Ground. Last time I had to fork over almost $60 just for their brokerage services though even with that as well as duties and taxes it was still cheaper than buying locally.

The Duchamp is about as thick as the Drake's if not a little thicker whereas the Corneliani I have is a knit tie so it's very different. I haven't handled their regular ties to offer any insights on whether they are thin. Given how much ties can cost I'd consider going to NYC to check them out in person. ;)

2. chiggyv

chiggyv Well-Known Member

I've found myself shipping to/from the US pretty often lately and it's completely hit and miss. Sent some shoes back to Rancourt for a warranty exchange and they were asking for $68 from Rancourt. Rancourt obviously refuses to pay, and so do I (although I might end up doing so out of frustration). Laughably, UPS denies that the shoes fall under NAFTA (because clothing doesn't qualify - ARE YOU SERIOUS), waiting to hear from the broker tomorrow.

3. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Well-Known Member

Yes, 6 or 7 prior custom shirts from them. I've been buying them since before they were a SF Affiliate. The fit was pretty great after the first one, which was still good. They are quite well made, IMO, especially for the price point. They tend to cut their custom shirts pretty slim, though, so let them know if you want something roomier.

The only downside to having a lot of custom shirts is that if you gain weight there is an abundance of evidence that you've gotten fat.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  4. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Well-Known Member

I should, theoretically, spend more on casual or dress casual and less on work suits. I look like complete dog shit when nobody is paying for my time. Last weekend I had to stop by the office early on Sunday morning to do something. Security asked whether I worked in the building because I looked so sketchy.

I find streetwear and denim hard, though. I'm not going to wear a cape and low-crotch pants, so the fashion fits are out. I'm not much of a hipster, and I find brooks brothers' casual wear to be a little dweeby. The only thing that really interests me is understated, minimalist pieces of clothing that will be as flattering as possible, as comfortable as possible, and will last a long time. Is there a name for that in SW&D? Dad-wear?

5. chiggyv

chiggyv Well-Known Member

I'm really similar to you in terms of taste. However, I dress casually for my career and therefore I spend more of my time looking for casual outfits. I've found the best place to find inspiration is instagram (Jeffdepano comes to mind), and Japanese magazines (Popeye, Sense, Free and Easy, all nail american style).

I'm never sure what to call it. People tell me I dress like a dad but that has more to do with me being young and "overdressing" for my field. I like to think of it as dressed up Americana. For me it usually consists of raw denim/chinos, ocbd (layered with a sweater or dressed down with a open flannel and t-shirt combo).

1 person likes this.
  6. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

I agree that they are well made, especially considering the price. I find the buttons to be whiter than the MOP on my RLBL though I prefer the hand of the RLBL and the Jack Lipsons I have a little more but even on sale they are more expensive. I'm glad to hear that they cut their custom shirts slim as that's exactly what I'm after.

On the topic of MTM has anyone tried Suitsupply MTM? There doesn't seem to be any RTW suit in a fresco or hopsack with natural shoulders, minimal lining, really light canvassing/unstructured, and minimal lighting. If anyone knows of any RTW similar to that I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.

7. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

last time I was in Spier & Mackay, Rick let me know he was running two sport coats. 2 Navy Hopsacks, one cut with the regular pattern and cut as the OTR jackets, and the other going mostly/full italian, soft shoulder, half lined, light canvassing, 3roll2? (can't remember that one).

I would like to see some fresco though.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  8. spiermackay

spiermackay Well-Known Member

Our stock buttons are White River Shell, very porcelain like in appearance. Our MOP upgrade on custom are genuine WHITE Australian MOP, which have no yellowness to them. Makes a huge difference on white shirts especially.

This is correct. We are waiting on the cloth from Gladson/Huddersfield, which will deliver at the end of Jan. Will release in a traditional cut, like our Model 2 and then a new softer, no padding, softer canvas, 3 roll 2.5 version. Should release in March or early April.

9. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

"Exciting" update: Novelty finally got a new sign!

[​IMG]

10. TOstyle

TOstyle Well-Known Member

Oh man! This is a HUGE development. Checking it out for sure.

And damn, I don't check this thread in a couple of weeks I'm seriously behind. Going to have to make time on the weekend to catch up.

11. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

Anyone know if it is possible to order something from a Brooks Brothers Toronto location and have them ship it to my house? I live a bit far from downtown.

12. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Phone them, I don't see why not. Ultimate sales rep laziness if they say they can't do it.

1 person likes this.
  13. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

Last time I've been there (Yorkville store), I asked about this "personal tailoring" service. So, basically, they do not have tailor who can measure you and take specs in house. He comes from New York (I think) every now and then, and you need to see when he's coming and schedule the appointment. Prices, I've been told, start at around $1100 (CAD) and go up depending on fabric. The base model that they use is Sienna, but you can customize pretty much anything (in theory :) ). I haven't looked at the fabrics they offer, as I've been told they don't have books in the store?!?!?!?!?! Or I just ran into lazy SA...
    I think what you get is somewhere close to La Spalla or Jort quality - that is, full canvas etc...

14. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I would recommend waiting for Harry Rosen's samuelsohn mtm event, which starts in about a week or two. Heavy discounts expected.

15. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

I agree. Samy is a good quality, and produces in Canada, so always happy to support the economy I live in. The original question was about SuSu MTM...

BTW, given that Samuelsohn produces for many US brands, I hope they will take full advantage of exchange rate and flood the market :)

16. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Hope so too. Their Paul Stuart offerings are amazing.

17. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Well-Known Member

I went to SuitSupply and asked about their MTM service. SA there was busying doing OTA suits (there was another customer waiting for him) and didn't know much about MTM service at all. He didn't show me any fabrics either.

So I went to BB MTM instead.

18. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

Interested in a Velasca review + what size you wear in other brands.

19. burgerkong

burgerkong Well-Known Member

If only their lasts were a bit less bulbous, the toe is fairly rounded. Aside from that, I fondled my buddy's chukkas and they were SOLID. No duties is another plus, and it seems like they didn't raise prices either, and charge in CAD!

20. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

2.5 version is intriguing!

1 person likes this.