1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. stanchri

stanchri Well-Known Member

It's still very good if the cut works.
    Suits would then be $510 plus tax from $1500, jackets around $440. They're full canvas and fabrics are quite good. I would assume they would even hem the pants and do minor alterations.

2. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Well-Known Member

I was told by the BB SA today that shoes will be excluded from the 60% promo on BB BF items.

Picked up the pebble grain boots today. It does have some broguing on the captoes. They also have the pebble grain long wings in my size but they don't look too appealing compare to the shinier calf long wing IMO.

RBC store also has the Peal marked C&J Coniston-style in 240 last that you can use the 40% off one-item promo on.

3. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the BB Boxing Day sale will be the same as last year - seasonal items at 50% off + additional 20% (so basically 60% off)?

4. CutandSew

CutandSew Well-Known Member

What was the discount? I went into the RBC store again today and asked about the BBBF shoes again and was told by another SA that they're about 40% off. The first SA I asked didn't really give me an answer other than that I should check next week and that the discount will be 'substantial'. Is this 50% BBBF sale that was mentioned here some secret discount that no associate knows about until it gets rung up on the register, or am I just talking to the wrong SAs?

On an separate note, I saw some Wolverine 1000 mile boots at the Bloor St. Harry Rosen for $299, if anyone is interested. They might go down some more when Boxing Day rolls around.

5. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Well-Known Member

Depending on the item, 25% to 40% for fashion/seasonal items, plus the 15% kicker. It excludes things like MTM, Cordovan and EG of course.

6. Shahhx

Shahhx Member

i`d definitely be interested. Let me know.

7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

If anyone runs into a BBBF / C&J grain boot in an 8uk/9us. Drop me a PM. If they are in fact 3-400$

8. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

9. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Seems like a really solid deal. But when you do the US conversion, then add 31% for duties and taxes....

10. stanchri

It's a steal for anyone in the US. They even have free shipping for the US.

11. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Yes, just pointing out the realities for most of the likely participants on the Toronto thread.

12. stanchri

Unfortunately so. It's also likely the USD will climb even higher soon.

13. thebeaches

thebeaches Member

I also find the BB pricing to be a bit of a mystery and that maybe you need to be a member of a special society or something. Its a challenge to find out what's for sale and when. I have bought a few things there recently and never get emails from my SA to notify me when a sale is on (although there always seems to be a sale on something)

On a completely different topic, I am going to be in Palm Springs for 2 weeks over new years. Anyone have any suggestions on must visit stores? I know its a bit of a long shot but thought I would ask

Thanks

14. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

^^ Agree completely on the BB point. Part of the reason why I have bought next to nothing from them. Always seems like somebody else has access to a better deal. F that.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  15. chiggyv

chiggyv Well-Known Member

Hey Toronto fellas!

Delighted to find this thread. Usually a lurker but this thread has saved me quite bit of money. I shop in the city (far too much for my student budget) and I'd love to contribute when I see sales around.

My first tip: Holt on Bloor was clearing out Naked and Famous denim when I was there a couple days ago. E5's were going for just above $100.

Any suggestions for somewhere in the city to find a snuff suede chukka (preferably on dainite, but not a must) for everyday wear? Love the Alden x J. Crew on crepe but not worth jumping through hoops to get them to Canada, especially with the exchange.

16. Chambertin

Chambertin Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Thanks for the tip; the main Holt's or standalone men's store?

What would your budget be? There's been a lot of discussion of places to buy shoes. I can't say I've seen snuff sude chukka's anywhere recently.

17. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Not sure of your budget but Leatherfoot has EG Shanklins in a snuffish shade and they are freaking gorgeous.

1 person likes this.
  18. stanchri

I have an identical pair, though on leather soles, and can say they're wonderful boots. The suede that EG uses is excellent.

1 person likes this.
  19. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

The Bay does indeed now carry Loakes. But mostly the Loake Design diffusion line.

They had a few 1880 models priced at $525, which is the same as Woolridge shoes. I'd rather buy from Woolridge.

1 person likes this.
  20. chiggyv

chiggyv Well-Known Member

This was at the main Holt's. They had a rack of random denim in the men's section. Had some Acne in there as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. As much as I'd love the EGs my budget is closer to $400-500 max, the cheaper the better. I'm a 12 brannock, 11.5 Barrie last, if anyone has items of interest.

I'll check out Woolridge. I'm not convinced the Kemptons are worth $525.

On the Alden x J. Crew: I was able to purchase the Alden Waxed Longwing in Tobacco this summer for $320CAD. Must have been a mistake on the site because all Alden is now US only. REALLY wish I had picked up the chukkas at that time. I'm secretly hoping they screw up again, but it's been 6 months waiting. Funny thing is they shipped from within Ontario.