1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Supplement Thread!

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JoeWoah, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

my advice: when you come off, taper it off slowly... like go to 150mg for 3 days, 100 mg for 3 days, 50 for 3 days... i cut cold turkey and had three horrible days of unproductive agony

You're kidding, right? This isn't heroin we're talking about. I routinely go from 32E/300C to nothing depending on what I'm doing that day (the stack makes me sweat) and I never have any problems.

2. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Active Member

Anyone thats saying NO2 stuff works is lying to himself.
    Theory is that:
    Arginine -> Nitric Oxide -> Vasodilation -> Nutrient Delivery -> Muscle Growth and Strength

However, here's the truth.

• Arginine blood flow stimulators ("nitric-oxide" or "NO2" supplements) have been shown to increase vasodilation, but only in unfed people receiving enormous doses through an IV.

• Oral arginine supplementation doesn't affect blood flow.

• A dose as low as 10 grams has been associated with gastric upset when consumed orally. This dose has no significant effect on glycogen storage, even if it didn't cause diarrhea.

• Time release arginine is supposed to lead to a "perpetual pump" effect. New studies have shown this not to be the case.

• NO2 was shown to have no effect compared to a placebo on body composition or muscle strength.

• It's not possible for us to consume high enough levels of arginine to effectively increase nitric oxide levels.

• Copycat NO2 products are no better than the original supplement. In fact, those that contain glycocyamine should be avoided because of potential health concerns.

• If you think these products work for you, then you'd better look into the placebo effect.

• Arginine might temporarily elevate growth hormone levels, but only if you're able to take unrealistic doses. There's little evidence to support that this short term increase in GH would do anything for your physique anyway.

• In one study, arginine aspartate was shown to increase prolactin by an average of 75%. Prolactin is associated with decreased Testosterone levels.

• Five grams of arginine consumed during resistance exercise was shown to decrease normal exercise-induced GH output.

• The positive benefits of oral arginine supplementation can only be achieved through doses higher than the human body can handle. And most (but not all) of this effect is mediated by insulin. So if you want to have blood flow increases equivalent to a huge IV arginine infusion, just manipulate insulin through other means (which will be discussed in the next article.)

+if you felt something, it's most likely other ingredients in the supplement or placebo effect (your brain is very powerful)

3. Zenny

Zenny Well-Known Member

Anyone thats saying NO2 stuff works is lying to himself.
    Theory is that:
    Arginine -> Nitric Oxide -> Vasodilation -> Nutrient Delivery -> Muscle Growth and Strength

However, here's the truth.

"¢ Arginine blood flow stimulators ("nitric-oxide" or "NO2" supplements) have been shown to increase vasodilation, but only in unfed people receiving enormous doses through an IV.

"¢ Oral arginine supplementation doesn't affect blood flow.

"¢ A dose as low as 10 grams has been associated with gastric upset when consumed orally. This dose has no significant effect on glycogen storage, even if it didn't cause diarrhea.

"¢ Time release arginine is supposed to lead to a "perpetual pump" effect. New studies have shown this not to be the case.

"¢ NO2 was shown to have no effect compared to a placebo on body composition or muscle strength.

"¢ It's not possible for us to consume high enough levels of arginine to effectively increase nitric oxide levels.

"¢ Copycat NO2 products are no better than the original supplement. In fact, those that contain glycocyamine should be avoided because of potential health concerns.

"¢ If you think these products work for you, then you'd better look into the placebo effect.

"¢ Arginine might temporarily elevate growth hormone levels, but only if you're able to take unrealistic doses. There's little evidence to support that this short term increase in GH would do anything for your physique anyway.

"¢ In one study, arginine aspartate was shown to increase prolactin by an average of 75%. Prolactin is associated with decreased Testosterone levels.

"¢ Five grams of arginine consumed during resistance exercise was shown to decrease normal exercise-induced GH output.

"¢ The positive benefits of oral arginine supplementation can only be achieved through doses higher than the human body can handle. And most (but not all) of this effect is mediated by insulin. So if you want to have blood flow increases equivalent to a huge IV arginine infusion, just manipulate insulin through other means (which will be discussed in the next article.)

+if you felt something, it's most likely other ingredients in the supplement or placebo effect (your brain is very powerful)

If you want to read the full article

4. CBRYDR

CBRYDR Well-Known Member

I'd like to say that, I tried superpump250 and didn't find it helped much. I get more of a rush from zero cal energy drinks and during high intensity workouts it actually made me nauseous.

Imho the only supplements worth your money are creatine monohydrate, and possibly beta alanine, which I will be trying in a few weeks.

The best supplement is the natural one....a diet high in calories/complex carbs. Mix a few tablespoons of virgin olive oil with your protein shakes to get an extra easy 500 calories, whole wheat pasta, noodles a few hours before training. Believe me, you'll notice a difference. Good luck....

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

^yeah, ok buddy.

we all know what the best supplement is[​IMG]

6. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

How are ye Americans putting together EC stacks? Can you buy ephedra online anywhere?

7. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

1. Basics: Water and skim milk 2. Barlean's Presents: Total Omega Liquid Master Blend! Complete Omega 3-6-9 Nutrition! http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ba...tal-omega.html 3.Energy Fast Burner/appetite suppressant: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...LAID=447515599 USP Labs OxyELITE Pro™ 4. Pre Workout: USPlabs Jack3d - View Jack3d - Did you hear about that guy that had crappy, lethargic, pathetic workouts but still got freakishly huge? Neither did I. Stop sleep walking through your workouts with Jack3d! People are reporting intense pumps and insane energy. After the 10th set of 30-rep squats, one Jack3d user asked, "Is that it?!? Let's do another 10 sets!" 5. Vitamins:\tUniversal Animal Pak - View Animal Pak If you work out, you MUST take a multi-vitamin product. You simply can not be sure that you are getting all of the nutrients you need just from your diet. Also, you can't just depend on a normal grocery store multi since those were created for the average couch potato. Luckily, Universal Animal Pak was formulated to be EXACTLY what you need. Don't limit your results! 6. Best tasting Protein: \tGaspari Nutrition MyoFusion - View MyoFusion With a commitment to quality, Gaspari has done it again. Myofusion is designed for the fitness enthusiast that demands high quality, great taste, at an even better price. Get great results by actually looking forward to drinking your protein everytime. Use morning to night, day in and day out and get the results you demand. 7. Benadryl for sleep aid

8. steinwaytony

steinwaytony Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been answered before, but does anyone recommend combining NO-Xplode and whey protein, or would that be redundant? I'm 6'5" and 180 lbs., but really only started regularly working out about six months ago. I started doing protein shakes after my workouts shortly thereafter, so I can't be sure if it's having its desired effect. Should I add NO-Xplode, or not bother with it?

9. tomenugen

tomenugen Well-Known Member

How are ye Americans putting together EC stacks? Can you buy ephedra online anywhere?

yea, someone answer this question.

10. Zenny

Zenny Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been answered before, but does anyone recommend combining NO-Xplode and whey protein, or would that be redundant? I'm 6'5" and 180 lbs., but really only started regularly working out about six months ago. I started doing protein shakes after my workouts shortly thereafter, so I can't be sure if it's having its desired effect. Should I add NO-Xplode, or not bother with it?

NO-Xplode is a pre-workout supplement, its pretty much Arginine (a NO precursor) and caffiene, with a good amount of artificial colours and flavours thrown into it. NO-Xplode should be taken on an empty stomach about 40 mins before a workout. Its supposed to give you a great pump and mental focus so your workout is better, I find it works quite well though I don't really care much for the pump effect.

Whey after workouts is a great way to get PWO protein, so stick with it. If you find you aren't gaining, eat more real food. I have a lot of friends who say "Protein shakes don't work for me" and then I look at what they eat and its about 1500 calories the entire day. So make sure you eat above your maintainence level if you want to gain mass.

11. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

If you're serious about supplements and whey and shit... bulknutrition.com and trueprotein.com. TP just had a promotion where 50$ spent got you 1lb of free whey protein isolate... long story short I hauled in 25lbs of concentrate / isolate, 5lbs isolate, and 11lbs of team skip (which is awesome) for 250$. Try spending that little on 40lbs of quality whey and casein at GNC.

bulknutrition is awesome too, I've coincidentally gotten ADAM and carlson fish oil from there. Cheap as hell, shipping takes awhile, but again, far better than any local retail option.

12. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

13. Yimmy1234

Yimmy1234 Member

I have put on a couple extra lbs in my gut because I have been bulking for a while.

Pre-workout - creatine, fatburner
    Post-workout - creatine, protein shake w/ peanut butter

Any input?

14. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

check out this site (http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm) It breaks down your dosing. You can buy ephedra at the drugstore. Just look for the Bronkaid. (It may be behind the cashier or at the pharmacy). They wont ask for anything, you just buy it like you would tylenol.

15. Jappo

Jappo New Member

i have a bad knee and taking Triflex from GNC helps relieve my pain for some strange reason

16. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Well-Known Member

check out this site (http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm) It breaks down your dosing. You can buy ephedra at the drugstore. Just look for the Bronkaid. (It may be behind the cashier or at the pharmacy). They wont ask for anything, you just buy it like you would tylenol.
    They'll ask for your ID for DEA tracking purposes but that's it

17. suited

suited Well-Known Member

i have a bad knee and taking Triflex from GNC helps relieve my pain for some strange reason

Try microlactin. It comes in powder form and is dirt cheap. It can do wonders for joints/aches etc...