1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The time to buy a new computer is NEVER

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Christofuh, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why it happens either, could be platform/browser specific, doens't matter, but sometimes the search returns with "Picture results for X" with a couple pictures and then the normal listings.
    I've clicked on the thing a couple dozen times from a computer thats running Win2k and another running XP both in Firefox and IE. I've also tried from someone else's house. It's never come up with any links to images. I wonder if its region specific search profiling or something. Anyways. My point is still obviously proven that Google does not display all search results when you query the default "web" search. It can't. It doesn't know what you are looking for. It displays its results in some sort of pseudo-intuitive manner, and occasionally queries whether you'd like to refine your search to pictures, music, news, or etc. But not always.
    This morning Google unveiled minor tweaks to their search UI and expanded results. The ultimate goal of Google's revamp is to unify search results across their properties to include web search, news, blogs, images, videos, etc. all in the main Google search offering. Google is calling this Universal Search and Danny Sullivan has an excellent overview here. The changes to the search UI are, for the most part, inconspicuous. Google's new search attempts to unify its different offerings by including links, where appropriate, to additional results. For example, a query for "ruby" will offer additional results from its blogs and code search engines, a search for "puppies" will not -- but will offer results from the image search, which the "ruby" query does not do. A search for "Hillary Clinton," meanwhile, will include results from Google News as well as things like video from YouTube (as below screenshot shows).

2. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

It is just as expensive to upgrade a PC over time as it is to upgrade a Mac.

I agree with the first three paragraphs you wrote but disagree with this sentence.

Im most cases you can always re-use PC parts even after a few years. I still use the same tower case bought in 2001. If you want to upgrade after only one or two years a desktop PC can be upgraded failry inexpensively.

3. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

Is your SafeSearch on? That sometimes messes with search results, I know there's 3 or 4 levels of it so maybe you have it on different ones.

JB

4. Sartorian

Sartorian Well-Known Member

I agree with the first three paragraphs you wrote but disagree with this sentence.

Im most cases you can always re-use PC parts even after a few years. I still use the same tower case bought in 2001. If you want to upgrade after only one or two years a desktop PC can be upgraded failry inexpensively.

I've found with my last two Macs I really don't have to upgrade much over a long period of time. I think there's a lot to be said of the health of my processors when they're not getting repeatedly attacked or infected with viri or adware. I was quite impressed with the longevity of my last powerbook, which I upgraded simply because it seemed to be a better use of my money than replacing my hard drive.

I personally prefer running a Unix-based OS, as well. MS-Dos OSes really aren't user-friendly or elegant in any way.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I've found with my last two Macs I really don't have to upgrade much over a long period of time. I think there's a lot to be said of the health of my processors when they're not getting repeatedly attacked or infected with viri or adware. I was quite impressed with the longevity of my last powerbook, which I upgraded simply because it seemed to be a better use of my money than replacing my hard drive.

I personally prefer running a Unix-based OS, as well. MS-Dos OSes really aren't user-friendly or elegant in any way.

ms-dos oses? you still living in the 90s?

THIS THREAD IS STUPID AND YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF GEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Sartorian

Sartorian Well-Known Member

ms-dos oses? you still living in the 90s?

THIS THREAD IS STUPID AND YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF GEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why in the world are you reading it?!

Sorry, I was referring to whatever the hell underlying OS MS uses today (guess I'm not that geeky). My understanding was Windows still had an underlying MS-DOS OS. Whatever the hell it is, it still continues to be incomprehensible and opaque, and that makes it all kind of sludgy. I learned MS-Dos back when I was a kid, but I continue to prefer Unix when I have a need to go troubleshooting some stupid GUI-unfriendly problem.

Yes, we're geeks, but well-dressed ones.[​IMG]

7. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

I'm looking at buying a new computer mostly for gaming and I've priced that $800 should get me a good rig (buying the parts and putting it together myself). But now i'm thinking of leasing a computer. I'm interested in leasing since computers depreciate in value so quickly.

Do any of you know other gaming-oriented computer companies that make quality PCs which I can lease? Or do you think I'm better off spending the $800 on a very upgradable system which I can put new parts into as I need in the future?

8. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I'm looking at buying a new computer mostly for gaming and I've priced that $800 should get me a good rig (buying the parts and putting it together myself). But now i'm thinking of leasing a computer. I'm interested in leasing since computers depreciate in value so quickly.

Do any of you know other gaming-oriented computer companies that make quality PCs which I can lease? Or do you think I'm better off spending the $800 on a very upgradable system which I can put new parts into as I need in the future?

The idea of leasing a computer is absolutely ridiculous, IMO. Just buy the new one.

I need a new gaming system too, but the one I priced out is like $1.3K. [​IMG]

9. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

Why do you think leasing one would be such a bad idea?

10. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Well-Known Member

I don't know if any companies "lease" gaming-quality PCs. I have seen ads on TVs for "rent to own" PCs but those are probably horrible economically and performance-wise.

I built my last PC from the ground up. It is true that PCs depreciate horribly. However, I don't think there is any way around it. If you lease, why would the company lease to you at a rate that would not cover the depreciation? Much like leasing or buying a car (another rapidly depreciating item), the smarter economic decision is to buy the car.

Unless you are a person who really should buy rather than build, I think building/upgrading your own is the only way to go.

A lot of parts can be reused, and this will save you $ in the long run:

1. Case (doubtful they will change the mobo standard -- ATX 2.0 I think);

2. Power supply (assuming you bought enough power to start, say at least 500-600W for SLI/Crossfire);

3. Cooling system (again assuming you bought higher quality fans or a liquid system);

4. Ancillary stuff (keyboards, mice, etc.).

The stuff that goes obsolete and requires upgrading ... well, it's a lot cheaper and easier to yank a mobo, CPU, memory, hard/optical drive or video card than trashing the entire gig and buying a new computer.

Right now my current system (built in 2005) could use an upgrade, if I were so inclined. It is not critical, as I can generally play any current release games. I'm running an AMD based system (939 socket mobo) with a GeForce 7800GT video card.

If I wanted to be bleeding edge I could buy a GeForce 8800 and sell the 7800GT and keep chugging along. Even if I wanted to ditch the current CPU (Athlon 64) and go for a faster dual core, I only need to replace the CPU and mobo ... everything else can stay as is.

11. Viktri

Viktri Well-Known Member

Don't believe the PC horror stories [​IMG]

My gf's 233 mhz PC still works fine
    My own desktop is an 1800+ AMD
    Macs get viruses too. They just don't come with anti-virus software so users don't know about them [​IMG] there's usually a large outcry of viruses from PC users because the base is larger so the # of whiners are larger.

Personally, I haven't had a virus affect my computer for more than a day because you can just google the virus's name (which you can find by hitting ctrl+alt+del and bringing up the task manager) and then find the specific anti-virus.

Btw, Macs are becoming closer to PCs every day...

12. jessicaroy

jessicaroy New Member

I had windows Vista installed in my PC and for that I had massive upgradation costs for that- a 256Mb gfx card and a gig of RAM plus a 200gig hard disk.

13. Tokyo Slim

I had windows Vista installed in my PC and for that I had massive upgradation costs for that- a 256Mb gfx card and a gig of RAM plus a 200gig hard disk.

Really? How much do you consider "massive"?

That is relatively "minor" as far as I'm concerned, as far as upgrading goes. You can acquire each of those things for around $150, and in some cases, $20-50 cheaper.

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

If you want to be able to play the newest games semi-decently, it's going to run you about 1.2k minimum. Anything less and you're going to have to sacrifice a fair bit of visual quality.

15. Viktri

Viktri Well-Known Member

I can build a quad-core tower (completely unnecessary but very cool) with graphics cards (XFX geforce 8800 gts 580 320) and sound card and wireless for 1.2k (before taxes unfortunately) without any specials which will run most games at max. I wouldn't quite call it a minimum :p

16. Tokyo Slim

Yeah Brian, this isn't Mac pricing here...

[​IMG]

17. Brian SD

I can build a quad-core tower (completely unnecessary but very cool) with graphics cards (XFX geforce 8800 gts 580 320) and sound card and wireless for 1.2k (before taxes unfortunately) without any specials which will run most games at max. I wouldn't quite call it a minimum :p

Being able to run *current* games at max settings is, IMO, the minimum, due to the nature of how quickly the requirements go up in games and how much PC computer parts depreciate over time. If you're going to drop money into building a gaming machine, you're basically throwing that out the window, so you better make certain it's going to be playing everything you want for the next couple years.

18. Tokyo Slim

Being able to run *current* games at max settings is, IMO, the minimum, due to the nature of how quickly the requirements go up in games and how much PC computer parts depreciate over time. If you're going to drop money into building a gaming machine, you're basically throwing that out the window, so you better make certain it's going to be playing everything you want for the next couple years.
    If your criteria is being able to run games that come out 2 or more years from now at max settings with the hardware you buy today, you are spending more than 1.5k. You are buying the majority shareholder stock in ATI or nVidia. For example, A computer sporting an Athlon FX-60 Dual Core CPU, and an SLI kit of two GeForce 7800 GTX cards (The top processor and card of 2005) would struggle mightily running Elder Scrolls: Oblivion today at the highest settings. Then again, I can load it up and play it fine at less than maximum settings with my Athlon64 2600 and ATI X850pro. (which cost me about $180 total, when I bought them in '05)

19. Brian SD

I'd say you should be able to play games at max settings that come out about 6 months after your purchase, and after that lower the settings a bit to accomodate your computer. You can do this with a top-end video card and a decent set-up the rest of the way, but it's going to cost at least 1.2k for the parts alone, not including monitor and peripherals.