• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The time to buy a new computer is NEVER

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What $1800 buys you in Macland.
All-in-one

Tech Specs
(Based on manufacturer's information)
Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Class: Core 2 Duo Processor
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Front Side Bus: 800 MHz
L2 Cache Size: 4 MB
Memory Speed: PC2-5300 (667MHz)
Memory Type: DDR2-SDRAM
Installed Memory: 1 GB
Maximum Memory: 4 GB
Memory Slots Total: 2
Memory Slots Available: 1
Total Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GB
Drive Controllers: SATA-150
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Optical Drives: DVD+R Dual Layer / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW SuperDrive:
Create a DVD+R Dual Layer at a maximum 4X Write speed
Create a DVD-R Dual Layer at a maximum 4X Write speed
Create a DVD+R at a maximum 8X Write speed or a maximum 8X Rewrite speed
Create a DVD-R at a maximum 8X Write speed or a maximum 6X Rewrite speed
Play a DVD at a maximum 8X Read speed
Create a CD-Rom at a maximum 24X Write speed
Create a CD-RW at a maximum 16X Rewrite speed
Play a CD-Rom at a maximum 24X Read speed

Audio Channels: Digital Audio (16-bit)
Video Chipset Brand: ATI
Video Chipset: Radeon HD 2600 PRO
Video Bus: PCI Express x16
Video Integration: Card
Installed Video Memory: 256 MB
Monitor Included: Yes
Integrated Monitor: Yes
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Recommended Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Screen Size: 24.0 in
Screen Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)
Port Connectors: 1 x FireWire 400 ports; 7 watts
1 x FireWire 800 ports; 7 watts
5 x USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps) (3 on computer, 2 on keyboard)
1 x Mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via optional adapter
1 x Audio - Optical digital audio output/headphone out
1 x Audio - Optical digital audio input/audio line in
1 RJ-45 Ethernet connector

PCI Express x16 Slots: 1
Slots Notes: None open

External 5.25 Bays: 1
External Bays Notes: None open

Internal 3.5 Bays: 1
Internal Bays (Notes): None open

Network Support: Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps)
Wireless Protocol: 802.11a
802.11b
802.11g
draft 802.11n
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Serial IR (Infrared)
Input Devices: Keyboard
Mouse
Remote Control
Installed Operating System: OS X Tiger
Included Software: iLife '08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)
Front Row
Photo Booth

In the Box: iMac
Apple Keyboard
Mighty Mouse
Apple Remote
Cleaning cloth
Power cord
Install/restore DVDs
Printed and electronic documentation

Chassis Style: Desktop
Height: 20.5 in
Width: 22.4 in
Depth: 8.1 in
Weight: 25.4 lbs
Limited Warranty: 1 Year (12 Months)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
By the time you're done file searching on Windows, bell bottoms are gonna return

Windows search is pretty terrible. The cow picture on this page is the most perceptive and cogent criticism I've seen of it:

http://secretgeek.net/ms_search.asp

--Andre

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Based on what I've witnessed their 10-hours-a-day running floor models barely heat up or make a sound. While conducting 5-6 tasks in one go, mind.

Until I try to use one, and then, the Mac will freeze with a blue or grey screen and the little color wheel spinning indefinitely, sputter shutting down all programs that are running at the time without any warning, and/or a transparent screen will come up stating that I need to shut down and re-start the computer in a bunch of different languages. It's happened both at school, and at the Mac store on several occasions. J witnessed one not more than five months ago doing a set of tasks that I am exceeding at this very moment on my ancient (five year old parts, except for the video card, which I upgraded about a year and a half ago) self-built workstation PC in the living room. (running on Windows 2000, not even XP!)

Macs like me about as much as I like them. I would gladly take a sledgehammer to every stinking square or rectangular white or aluminum box I see and they can tell.

Let me say once again, that the new iMac keyboard may be the WORST keyboard I've ever tried to use, and I've used those horrible laser projection keyboards, big mushy water/shockproof keyboards, and etc. It's like the number pad on my bank's ATM machine, all the F-keys are in the wrong configuration, there are absolutely zero ergonomic design concessions, and the keys lack any tactile feedback. A fitting companion to the worst mouse of all time, the "no button", distressingly un-ergonomic, oddly placed tiny trackball, and the "squeeze" feature that either constantly happens accidentally, or you have to change your hand position to use at all.

smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Windows search is pretty terrible. The cow picture on this page is the most perceptive and cogent criticism I've seen of it: http://secretgeek.net/ms_search.asp --Andre
Why is that perceptive or cogent? First, it was written with a rabid anti-windows bias that tries to hide behind the "clever" analogy (which, as it was pointed out, by more logical and astute posters is completely wrong anyways) Second, as it was also pointed out, you don't have to have a "dog". You can choose another animated avatar (of like five different ones you might prefer) or (as I prefer) to not waste system resources and have NO animated avatar, just a search box. Can you tell a mac to not have bouncing, annoying animated avatars in the dock? I've never been able to figure out how. In my opinion, Finder is at least as big a pain ********** as windows search is, and it also asks you if you want to search for pictures, videos, documents, music, and etc. I don't understand what the criticism of that in Windows is about, when Mac is guilty of the same thing. The problem I have with finder is that it assumes that you are familiar with the OS-whatever file hierarchy - which has never made any sense to me at all. How can the same file be in dozens of different locations at once without being a duplicate or copy? Can someone PLEASE explain that to me? WTF kind of perverted logic comes up with these ideas?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What $1800 buys you in Macland.
All-in-one

Tech Specs
(Based on manufacturer's information)
Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Class: Core 2 Duo Processor
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Front Side Bus: 800 MHz
L2 Cache Size: 4 MB
Memory Speed: PC2-5300 (667MHz)
Memory Type: DDR2-SDRAM
Installed Memory: 1 GB
Maximum Memory: 4 GB
Memory Slots Total: 2
Memory Slots Available: 1
Total Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GB
Drive Controllers: SATA-150
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Optical Drives: DVD+R Dual Layer / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW SuperDrive:
Create a DVD+R Dual Layer at a maximum 4X Write speed
Create a DVD-R Dual Layer at a maximum 4X Write speed
Create a DVD+R at a maximum 8X Write speed or a maximum 8X Rewrite speed
Create a DVD-R at a maximum 8X Write speed or a maximum 6X Rewrite speed
Play a DVD at a maximum 8X Read speed
Create a CD-Rom at a maximum 24X Write speed
Create a CD-RW at a maximum 16X Rewrite speed
Play a CD-Rom at a maximum 24X Read speed

Audio Channels: Digital Audio (16-bit)
Video Chipset Brand: ATI
Video Chipset: Radeon HD 2600 PRO
Video Bus: PCI Express x16
Video Integration: Card
Installed Video Memory: 256 MB
Monitor Included: Yes
Integrated Monitor: Yes
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Recommended Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Screen Size: 24.0 in
Screen Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)
Port Connectors: 1 x FireWire 400 ports; 7 watts
1 x FireWire 800 ports; 7 watts
5 x USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps) (3 on computer, 2 on keyboard)
1 x Mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via optional adapter
1 x Audio - Optical digital audio output/headphone out
1 x Audio - Optical digital audio input/audio line in
1 RJ-45 Ethernet connector

PCI Express x16 Slots: 1
Slots Notes: None open

External 5.25 Bays: 1
External Bays Notes: None open

Internal 3.5 Bays: 1
Internal Bays (Notes): None open

Network Support: Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps)
Wireless Protocol: 802.11a
802.11b
802.11g
draft 802.11n
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Serial IR (Infrared)
Input Devices: Keyboard
Mouse
Remote Control
Installed Operating System: OS X Tiger
Included Software: iLife '08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)
Front Row
Photo Booth

In the Box: iMac
Apple Keyboard
Mighty Mouse
Apple Remote
Cleaning cloth
Power cord
Install/restore DVDs
Printed and electronic documentation

Chassis Style: Desktop
Height: 20.5 in
Width: 22.4 in
Depth: 8.1 in
Weight: 25.4 lbs
Limited Warranty: 1 Year (12 Months)

What a complete failure of a modern computer. I mean come ON 800mhz fsb? 1.5gb/s SATA, 320gb hdd, 1gb ram? 8xDVDR? That thing is uber fail get. I paid $600 for a Compaq with the similar specs (but faster dvd drive) two years ago, and yes that was with a monitor.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
What a complete failure of a modern computer. I mean come ON 800mhz fsb? 1.5gb/s SATA, 320gb hdd, 1gb ram? 8xDVDR? That thing is uber fail get. I paid $600 for a Compaq with the similar specs (but faster dvd drive) two years ago, and yes that was with a monitor.
Ah but remember, they can't afford to put current hardware in their computers because they spend half their R&D budget designing cases and accessories that will look "pretty" while overheating and being hard to operate.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom

So you bought a Compaq with a 800mhz fsb, c2d two years ago? Must be nice to know the Intel R&D crew.. On a side note, it isn't all about money is it? Macs are more expensive, but IMO you pay for more than overpriced parts. I don't see why people always need to get worked up about it. It's a different experience, to some it's worth it - to others it's not.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO, I said it was similar specs, It didnt have a C2D but it did have an Athalon 64 800MHZ FSB running at 2.8GHZ, YES I realize this is not up to snuff as to what a C2D would do, but again this was 2 years ago, a cheap computer and still had the iShit matched/beat for FSB, Ram (even DDR2 at the time), HDD Size/speed/transfer speed, and DVD drive capabilities

Point still stands that they use ****** old Hardware for most of their stuff and overcharge for it

I spent less than $600 on my latest computer and it would spank an apple of more than 3x the price

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
< Snort >

I was told by a rep ( not some oily salesman ) from Apple that doing A/B spec comparison vis-Ã -vis retail price isn't appropriate due to Macs featuring a different architecture.
Therefore any on-paper similiar specs don't suggest comparable performance. Macs are superior ( to PC ) performers which is what commands the price premium.
Discuss
plain.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By different architecture he meant Intel Chipset right? OH SNAP DAWG! or stupid suck one button mouse

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In another story, our beloved Artisan Fan was told ( on a number of occasions ) by the American head ( not some oily salesman ) of Kiton that its jackets were 100% handmade and features 25 - 28 hours of handwork.
Discuss.
lol8[1].gif

< Snort >

I was told by a rep ( not some oily salesman ) from Apple that doing A/B spec comparison vis-Ã -vis retail price isn't appropriate due to Macs featuring a different architecture.
Therefore any on-paper similiar specs don't suggest comparable performance. Macs are superior ( to PC ) performers which is what commands the price premium.
Discuss
plain.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Why is that perceptive or cogent?

Dude, lighten up. It's supposed to be satire.

The point is that when I want to find something, I don't want or need to answer some filtering questions before I can perform my search --- I should just tell the computer what I want to find in my own terms. Why should it matter whether I want to find a video, a Word doc, or a contact? Just show me every place where my search item exists and organize it in some way that will let me quickly filter through the results.

This problem is prevalent in so many programs, including Mac programs, and isn't just Windows-specific, because this kind of design trap is easy to fall into for programmers. The programmer is exposing and foisting on the user the internal technical details of a service because the programmer is being lazy and making the user do unnecessary work to complete their task.

The Windows method is programmer-centric, while the Google approach is user-centric. Programmer-centric makes life easy for the programmer often at the expense of the user's ease-of-use, while user-centric stuff is easy to use because it lets the user deal with the computer on the user's terms. But it's usually a lot more work and harder on the programmer.

Google search does it with exactly one relevant input (and no animated characters), and the results are pretty good. That's good user-centric design.

First, it was written with a rabid anti-windows bias that tries to hide behind the "clever" analogy (which, as it was pointed out, by more logical and astute posters is completely wrong anyways)
There are one or maybe two posts on that page that support the Windows search method, but then it's apparent the posters missed the joke.

--Andre

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Dude, lighten up. It's supposed to be satire.
Satire: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc. So because its clothed as satire, I am not allowed to question the fact that it aims at denouncing an operating system search function that does exactly what almost every other search function does? And fails to mention any of the relevant facts about the thing it is satirizing? Did the original article ever mention that turning the dog off forever is as easy as clicking the button that turns off the animated avatar, leaving you with a standard search window? Granted, the dog is a stupid idea - but it's not like the fact that it exists is a permanent and unchangeable deficit to the Windows operating system.
The point is that when I want to find something, I don't want or need to answer some filtering questions before I can perform my search --- I should just tell the computer what I want to find in my own terms. Why should it matter whether I want to find a video, a Word doc, or a contact?
The only reason it matters is search speed. If you can't understand this, I'm not sure exactly what you are complaining about. Any computer is a database of millions of pieces of info. If you type "bob" into your search window without specifying what the hell you are looking for, your search engine is going to find text documents, cache files, pictures, videos, programs, saved web pages, Appreciation, and other misc. stuff that you AREN'T looking for. If you click the button labeled "contacts" and then type in "bob", the computer will come back with your contacts named bob. Why is that such an unreasonable sacrifice for you? If you tell the computer you are looking for a video, it doesn't spend the time and energy looking through all your text and program files, etc. This is pretty much common sense. OSX does it, Yahoo and Google do it too, though they give you the option of doing it before or after your search. Basically, you are complaining about ... nothing?
Just show me every place where my search item exists and organize it in some way that will let me quickly filter through the results.
Great, if you REALLY want to do it that way, go ahead, but if you are searching for the family photo album, why would you have your computer search for it in areas where it is OBVIOUSLY not?
This problem is prevalent in so many programs, including Mac programs, and isn't just Windows-specific,
Yes, because it makes the most sense. It makes so much sense that there are very few search engines that don't use the scheme.
because this kind of design trap is easy to fall into for programmers. The programmer is exposing and foisting on the user the internal technical details of a service because the programmer is being lazy and making the user do unnecessary work to complete their task.
This is certainly a unique viewpoint. And by that I mean... um... HUH??? Oh my god, you mean that the act of searching more efficiently adds an additional burden to the searcher that he/she should actually know what they are looking for? Egads! I'll contact microsoft immediately and have them replace any search options with a big red button that just says "search". It then proceeds to list every file on your computer so as not to burden the end user with any unnecessary work or knowledge of what they are actually searching for. (see, that was satire!)
The Windows method is programmer-centric, while the Google approach is user-centric.
I still fail to see the difference between asking the user what kind of file they are looking for before the search, as in Windows and OSX from asking the same question before OR after the search.as with Google. Can you please explain to me why this makes a difference?
Programmer-centric makes life easy for the programmer often at the expense of the user's ease-of-use, while user-centric stuff is easy to use because it lets the user deal with the computer on the user's terms. But it's usually a lot more work and harder on the programmer.
? Please elaborate in english.
Google search does it with exactly one relevant input (and no animated characters), and the results are pretty good. That's good user-centric design.
But as we've determined, if you are looking for pictures or video, you still have to tell it you are looking for pictures or video. Either before or after you actually search. If you do it before, its more efficient, because it doesn't bring up webpages with TEXT only. All it brings up is the type of file you are looking for. This is the same exact thing, as far as I'm concerned, that you are complaining about.
There are one or maybe two posts on that page that support the Windows search method,
Those are the only posts that have any sort of credibility behind them though, because they are the only posts that mention the glaring inconsistencies and fallacies of the original post. Whether satire or not, pointing out that the main gripe (the dog) is completely optional and can be turned off with a mouse click is at least relevant, and at most, discredits the entire article, which never mentions the fact that Apple finder, and damn near every other search engine for a large database of information is going to be better as you narrow down the search parameters.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I feel like I am having the most elementary and obvious conversation in the entire world with someone who refuses to acknowledge the fact that anything other than the glaring, obvious, INEVITABLE answer is dumb.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

SieurDeLaSalle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yessir.
bigstar[1].gif
I have been dying for a new PC, but I simply cannot drop $1K+ right now. My Asus W3j laptop is pretty ******* sick, so I'm not too down about it...but oh man, the graphics capabilities available make me so horny.

Well not to bragg... My new Build: Lian Lu case(Black Alum) Asus p5k Premium "Black Pearl" Quad Core 2.4 @ 3.2xx Nvidia 8800 gts 320 Viewsonic 22' graphics series and the rest are "the usual hi-quality suspects" Running Vista Ultimate(does have a few bugs) The system is astonishingly fast and stable... Viewsonic is awesome. and for good measure i had a t61 delivered with all the goodies last month... I only go on a gadget/technology "binge" every 2 or three years...:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads