• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread for Discussing Bespeaking Bespoke Shoes

gegarrenton

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you don't like it, I suggest you visit here or here for discussion that might be of greater interest to you.

I love my Cleverleys. The ****** part is you are now associated with them so I truly sympathize with their plight.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the back seams I've seen on a balmoral that made me much happier with the side seams Cleverley executed for me:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love my Cleverleys. The ****** part is you are now associated with them so I truly sympathize with their plight.

I don't know who you are, except that you use a sailboat for your avatar, which strongly signals douchebag.

ctp120

Reaction score

One of the back seams I've seen on a balmoral that made me much happier with the side seams Cleverley executed for me:

What about them strikes you as inferior?

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Small point but one that speaks to aesthetics and to a lesser degree the dedication of the maker:

If you look carefully, you will see that the next diamond in the broguing should occur just about where the lower line of stitching is on the dog-leg.

IOW, the attempt to make the bogunig appear to be continuous fails. It would have been better, in my opinion, to omit the dog leg altogether. When you try to counterfeit an effect and fail, the failure becomes strikingly glaring.

The gimping at the top of the dog leg--which is not continued along the topline--makes no aesthetic sense, either.

Just my opinion...

YMMV

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What about them strikes you as inferior?

Whereas the side seam is a single straight line, the back seam in the photo hooks over at a right angle. The tab created overlaps the topline broguing, putting two lines of stitching through it, instead of just one. Also, the broguing of the tab does not line up properly. Thus, in whole, it is a much more visually complex and distracting execution.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another back seam:

I dislike this even more than the previous one posted. It just cuts randomly across the heel. At least the other one was logical in following the line of the broguing.

ctp120

Reaction score
Hmm. I see what you mean. On the other hand, I'm still not quite settled with the asymmetry of the side seam, either. Maybe a simple rear seam would make the most sense when the heel is brogued.

These are stunning, btw.

Another side seam:

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hmm. I see what you mean. On the other hand, I'm still not quite settled with the asymmetry of the side seam, either. Maybe a simple rear seam would make the most sense when the heel is brogued.

I have yet to find a balmoral with a back seam that just straight up to the top of the shoe. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough or maybe there is a technical explanation.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By definition, they cannot be worn well.

I like them here:

But I'll concede that they're not a choice with universal appeal -- and their merits (or lack thereof) are at least borderline off topic in this thread.

ctp120, I think I'd rather have asymmetry on the sides of a shoe than on the heel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads