1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The "things you can't believe you just saw" thread...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gomestar, Jun 25, 2012.

1. why

why Well-Known Member

Yes. I can't believe anyone would think it appropriate to confront a stranger and tell them how to raise their children -- in front of the child especially -- unless there's serious harm being done.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

you know, i get what you're saying and i would be furious if someone actually told me how to raise my children. and i don't know if "serious harm" can actually be done by an adult snatching a toddler up by her hair, lifting her clear off the ground by the hair, and dragging her 8 feet...but it sure looked bad. i suppose you would have looked on and said or done nothing.

which is, btw, what i ended up doing as well. child abuse is a personal issue for me and it was really hard to not do anything. i'm actually still bummed about what i witnessed up till now. the mother did see our shocked faces and tried to mollify and comfort the child...hopefully that meant she felt some shame at strangers seeing her snap like that and tries to get over whatever anger issues she has with her daughter.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I remember when I was maybe a freshman in high school my parents and I were exiting a restaurant and there was this screaming, crying little girl going absolutely apeshit. She was being pulled by this man by her hand. She kept screaming, "I want my mommy! No! No!" Anybody in their right mind would have thought immediately this man was trying to snatch this little girl. I definitely thought this and my father certainly did. My father ran up to the guy and said, "Hey, buddy what the fuck is going on here? Is this your little girl?" He was like, yes yes yes. My father questioned the little girl asking her if it was her father, but she was crying too hard to answer. The guy kept saying, tell him who I am to the little girl. They got no response from her. But we got the guy's plate number and because my father owns a body shop also noted that his car was painted blue, but was originally red due to the inside door panel being shoddily painted He had some cop friends of his run the plate and check him out and show up to his house. Turned out everything was fine, but I was so happy that my father did something.

4. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Good for him.

Dragging a child by the hair certainly borders on abuse, in my book. I would be tempted to say something as well, but I'm also not sure that I'd be able to overcome the taboo against commenting on someone's parenting. I'm also pretty sure that it would not be enough to make me call the police on her.

5. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I was at a huge shoebox of a mall saturday afternoon with the unwashed masses. more than once I saw a kid lying down/rolling over the floor while their parent/guardian/whatever is doing something else. once this fat annoying boy lay down and did snow angel motions on the floor and I almost stepped on the little bugger. how I wish someone drag them by their hair... :devil:

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

It's sounds like child cruelty in my book

Not really the same thing, as the one HRoi mentions, some of those children deserve a smack in the face or personally I would prefer the parents.

7. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

As a parent,pulling a child by its hair for feet is not an acceptable way to deal with a situation and I'm not from uber PC brigade..

You can raise your voice,grab the child and telling him off and eventually smack him/her on the leg as a last resort...

What kind of signal do you send to the child and also others?????

I do not get involved in other people ways to deal with such situation but I would have given the parent the look...

Luckily, some people do say something in such situations..

The good old times when parents used to beat their kids up willy nilly without anybody willing to get involved are over..

8. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Lifting and dragging a kid by the hair is way beyond what I would consider normal, acceptable parenting. But I am not sure if it really does any lasting damage and if, giving the parent the benefit of the doubt, was limited to those times when the child had put himself in danger, is probably not abuse.

9. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Well-Known Member

My bro-in-law and I were with our wives at Costco with their 2 year old niece a while back. This niece is very emotional and it takes almost nothing to get her to go ballistic. As it was, my wife and his wife needed to continue their shopping and the two of us needed to head out. His wife asked us to take their daughter home. As you can probably guess, the niece then went absolutely bat shit ballistic in the front area of Costso. The place went dead silent and as the child is making the most epic scene ever made, she then starts screaming "I WANT MY MOMMY, GIVE ME TO MOMMY" repeatedly while at the same time reaching her hands out as if she's trying to grasp her mother. It was the single most embarrasing moment of my life, here we are, 2 dudes carrying a screaming [female] child out of the store against her will while she's screaming at the top of her lungs that she wants her mommy. If at any moment someone had stopped us, I doubt that little Olivia would have made any indication that we were indeed her father and uncle.

This is one of a million reason why I don't plan on ever having a child. Society will ALWAYS be suspicious of a man with a child. Always.

10. patrickBOOTH

Too true. In the morning on the train platform sometimes I see this nanny with three girls. This one day this guy was talking to the little girls seemingly asking them innocent questions. But he just kept going. I am suspicious of any man who is uncommonly friendly towards children. Especially when they aren't his own. The guy kept smiling at them and talking to them the whole train ride. I don't know if the nanny was oblivious, but by the time the train got there if it were me I would have gotten on a different train car.

11. Goldy

Goldy Well-Known Member

I'm 29 & I always talk to kids. I'm just being nice.

12. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Well-Known Member

Sounds suspicious.

13. patrickBOOTH

Do you happen to have asperger's syndrome?

4 people like this.
  14. why

why Well-Known Member

It seems like nobody was ever told 'Come here right now before I drag you by the hair/neck!'. I'm sure it happened to me a few times when I was young but I can't remember any specific instances. It doesn't even really hurt in case y'all didn't know.

On that subject, softie parenting is what made my flight nearly unbearable for me and the majority of the passengers. One child (who at first I thought was a baby whose parents forgot his pacifier but later realized it was a 5-year old kid) cried as loud as possible for several hours. His parents' shushing noises only made the disturbance worse.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  15. Find Finn

Dragged maybe not, being lifted by the hair hurts like a .....

Its common courtesy, to reply when spoken to and it doesn't really matter if it's a 5 year old or an 80 year old.

Who says he didn't know the kid?

16. why

why Well-Known Member

Are you purposely being obtuse?

And I have no idea what your first sentence is referring to.

17. Find Finn

I was referring to the guy who was talking to some kid in the metro.

18. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Do you have children?

I'm one for trying to give other people a break when my twins are playing up but it is sometimes very hard to control...

I always try to minimize the impact of my little angels on others but when a child has lost it ,no hair pulling will make things better..

Last week ,my boy was running everywhere on the train and I had no choice to walk him up and down the aisles to calm him down/keep him quiet..

Some people might have found out that behaviour irritating and unacceptable ..

19. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Below a certain age, there is really nothing you can do to keep a crying kid quiet. Certainly not yelling or discipline. That is just part of what comes with children being physically and emotionally not yet mature. The only thing you can do is remove them from the situation, which is not really an option on a plane or train (other than walking the aisles).

20. why

why Well-Known Member

Corporal punishment works, but nobody does that anymore because if you do it you're an evil child-beating scumbag. Makes me wonder how people could generally be well-adjusted and well-behaved before the 1990s given all the screwed-up children parents and teachers must have been producing. Certainly now it's better, what with Gen-Y kids being so orderly and disciplined and all.

The thing is, the emotionally and intellectually-immature children are precisely the ones who are most disciplined by corporal punishment. Usually it only takes one time for the kid to realize 'hey, that's not a good idea and has consequences'. After that a certain look or tone is enough to get the child to realize enough is enough.

I remember fighting with my brother once at my uncle's house and thought since my parents were in the other room talking to my uncle I could get away with it. My aunt came in the room with a ruler and set us straight. :laugh: