1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. johnvw

johnvw Well-Known Member

My comment was meant for a jacket in a picture that I no longer see here. Sorry about possible confusion.

2. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

I would do this; Jacket balance, lengthen the front 1/2", shorten back 1/2". Shorten sleeves. Shorten jacket length 3/4". Lower button point 3/8"

Don't know what the "kick" is on the trouser. The way the back of the trouser stands away from your shoe at the hem? If so, it is not an issue.

3. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Thanks for those comments! Any thoughts on the way the jacket fits? I intentionally left some room especially at the chest, but not sure if it looks okay. I want to have a draping effect, but I don't think the tailor uses a drape cut.
    I called "kick" the way that the trousers do not fall straight at the front but collapses into my legs. Kind of random, I guess.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  4. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

All my comments were regarding how the jacket fits. hard to judge the drape form these dark pictures and equally hard to distinguish drape from a full chest. Drape is equal parts cut and construction.

To get the trouser to hang straight to the top of the shoe is about shaping the leg with the iron.

1 person likes this.
  5. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

Nice suit! I might shorten the sleeves a smidgen as well depending on where most of my shirt cuffs fell. Jacket length and balance look right to me. Could be slightly shorter but I think that's a judgment call. I see the fullness you asked for in the chest, but I wouldn't call it a drape suit.

6. kwriley

kwriley Member

Hello all, this is a suit from Indochino and I wanted to know of ways to improve the fit. It was my first suit from them and I just wanted to know how to improve the fit for my next suit. Thank you for all your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. poseidon

poseidon Member

Hi, can some of the experts comment on this WW Chan suit? sorry that it is rather wrinkled, I had just taken it out of the suitcase...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  8. poseidon

poseidon Member

9. pcsk77

pcsk77 New Member

Hi, I've just bought a suit and would really love some feedback on the fit. I'm new to the forum, please be forgiving if I'm making mistake in posting in the wrong thread. I think this is the right one for fit advice for my suit by a master tailor, since the instructions didn't seem to allow for specific questions around the pants, I'll be posting another fit critique post on the Official Fit Critique thread with specific pants questions. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tailors, Is it possible to make these armholes higher? I do have excess room just below the armpit both at the back and front chest. There seems also to be vertical excess cloth at the armpit, which I have to get fixed anyway.

11. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

It is not reasonable or even that possible to make armholes higher on a finished garment.

12. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

13. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

After searching quite a bit, I did see that. Also found this thread:
    http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?60572-THE-high-armhole
    If I really, really wanted something done, would option #2 be possible with a very thin shoulder pad?
    If I wanted to specify on the next cut of the mtm suit, how much would be close to the maximum I could raise the armhole?[/quote

notice that #2 works only if there is a sloping shoulders problem.
    and the most changed that would be gained would be one inch.

14. a tailor

you have a right low shoulder. see the tutorials to measure the low shoulder.
    the right hip is too tight also.
    shorten the sleeves so that 1/2 " of shirt sleeve shows.
    the lighting only shows half of the garment,. lighting should come from behind the camera.
    we have to depend on good pictures, to give accurate .advice.
    are you wearing the trousers on your hips or on the waist?
    there seems to be some excess length at the top of the back.
    again tutorials "that pesky roll below the shoulder".

1 person likes this.
  15. kwriley

kwriley Member

The pants are on my waist and I never noticed my right shoulder. You are the first person ever to point that out. I think the pants have to much room in the crouch and thats why they look kind of funny. Would it help if I took better pictures ( lighting is pretty bad)? How is the jacket? Do you think it needs to be a bit longer and tighter fitting? Is a low shoulder normal? Is the tutorial for measuring for a low shoulder on this forum or Indochino website? Thank you for all you help.

16. a tailor

sounds as though the rise is too long.

17. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Either you have a really low waist or no, they aren't... if you like the low rise look that's OK and in that case the rise is too long, but they don't seem to be at the waist [​IMG]

18. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Well-Known Member

Had my RTW shirt tailored so I can use it as my base. Overall I am pretty happy with the result. Next stop, Ratio Clothing. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. kwriley

kwriley Member

Quote:
    Either you have a really low waist or no, they aren't... if you like the low rise look that's OK and in that case the rise is too long, but they don't seem to be at the waist [​IMG] RDiaz

The pants are baggy and I am not wearing a belt but that pants are at my waist area. I am not a fan of the low rise. I think the pants are to big in the crotch and hips. Is it normal to take off about 4 inches from the hip and 1.5" from the crotch. Again thank you for all and any help and I do mean that.

20. kwriley

kwriley Member

Quote:
    Either you have a really low waist or no, they aren't... if you like the low rise look that's OK and in that case the rise is too long, but they don't seem to be at the waist [​IMG] RDiaz

The pants are baggy and I am not wearing a belt but the pants are at my waist area. I am not a fan of the low rise. I think the pants are to big in the crotch and hips. Is it normal to take off about 4 inches from the hip and 1.5" from the crotch. Again thank you for all and any help and I do mean that.