1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Despos or JeffreyD, can you tell me about lengthening jackets at the bottom. A member has told me this about a jacket he has for sale. I want to lengthen it from 29.25 to 30. Is this possible?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Lengthening a jacket is usually not possible. There just isn't usually enough seam allowance inside the front/bottom edge where the facing is attached.

3. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

You can't do it- there is no outlet at the front where it curves. If you did it, you would be lengthening the back only, blending it to nothing at the front, which would not look right.

[​IMG]

4. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Thanks jeffreyd and sanguis.

5. matsui

matsui Well-Known Member

Picked up this casual blazer a while ago, haven't had it tailored yet to take in the waist, but I'm wondering if it's too short, or if it's ok to wear casually: [​IMG]

6. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

It is too short.
    It is okay to wear casually.
    Do not take in the waist.

lefty

7. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

I've lengthened jackets successfully by opening the curve of the front edge to a point in the hem of the new length. You will get the infamous SF open quarters. It helps if the fronts are not very open and you have to search everywhere the jacket will be made longer that outlets are there. Sometimes at the vents the cloth will be trimmed away and there is nothing to work with. If I knew how to draw lines on the pictures I could demonstrate. Some cloth will cooperate and not show a crease or any marks of the old hemline. If it's cotton, has a fuzzy nap or maybe has silk in cloth, you will continue to see a line from the previous hem. If the jacket is old there could be a difference in the color of the cloth. Lighter on top and darker where the hem was turned under.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chris is right about doing that, but most ready-made garments will be fairly cut away to begin with so that alteration might look a bit goofy.

@Chris- did you do it by hand? Open up the buttonhole? Or just start the shaping well below the lower buttonhole?

9. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Sometimes by hand but mostly by machine and as the previous post said, it helps if the fronts are closed. I start below the bottom buttonhole. I would mark the new shape on the fronts with chalk and try it on the client before opening anything to see if the new shape of the front will look normal or altered too severely. If the client agrees with the lines then we lengthen this way. Biggest problem is the bottom front can look too rounded and having sufficient length on the inside lining. Have to piece the canvass in front a bit too.

10. Renalan

Renalan Well-Known Member

Any advice on alterations to alleviate the flaring out of jacket past the waist?

11. TuckerSon

TuckerSon Active Member

Is it possible for a tailor to shorten the part where my dress shirt is attached to the sleeve? (so my shirt won't hang below my shoulders)
    [​IMG]

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Just get a new shirt which fits, or go MTM.

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

TuckerSon, my tailor is actually very good with these alterations. The problem comes down to sleeve length. As my tailor explained, the shoulder is taken in by removing the sleeve and cutting back the shoulder. The sleeve is reattached. If the sleeve has some extra length, no problem. If not, the sleeve needs to be lengthened. Depending upon the cost of the shirt, it may be cheaper to just replace it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  14. torontobluered

torontobluered Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm going to be attempting to alter some of my own shirts in the next few days (some are kind of old and not too expensive, so I don't mind taking a chance trying to alter them myself instead of paying a tailor). Now I'm not exactly sure about how each shirt is supposed to fit exactly. I think the two in this post fit well; can they be my benchmark for altering my other ones?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. torontobluered

And here are the ones I think need a bit of alteration. Please tell me what you think needs to be changed (eg too loose around waist, or hips, or sleeves, or too long, etc)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. torontobluered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry for so many posts :)

I'll be using the "pinch and pin" seen here in this video to alter the sides

Can I also use it for the sleeves? or would the cuff pose a problem? And of course if the shirt is too long I'll just tuck it in.

Thanks in advance for your help/opinions

17. RingTail

RingTail Well-Known Member

I got this RTW suit in 38R, I plan to get the sleeves shortened, any other alterations I should make? Thanks![​IMG]
    It seems I could use more structured shoulders for future suits

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  18. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Well-Known Member

Is the coat too far off to be tailored?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Well-Known Member

It especially looks too big from the back.

20. Kyle is raaddd

Kyle is raaddd Active Member

I recently got my J Crew striped tweed sportscoat in
    I think I want to get: Sleeves shortened a bit
    Waist brought in
    Maybe arms as a whole a little slimmer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry those are the only pictures I have.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012