1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone had any opinion on mine?

Thank you!

2. Ttailor

Ttailor Well-Known Member

Yes the back is big especially at chest level which also affects how the sleeves look as the excess fabric has no where to go but to collapse. it should be possible to fix some of this problem with a combination of alterations taking in the side back seam (more on the back panel until the back looks better) and maybe some on the underarm panel. The issue with taking in the side back seam alone is the armhole and a lack of fabric left inside the garment to reshape it correctly.

3. Ttailor

Ttailor Well-Known Member

Well what can one say? It is obviously too tight in the waist and yes the flare at the hip is likely being exaggerated by the waist suppression. You do have a challenging shape to deal with. Were you seen in person for measurments or a fitting in a standard jacket before ordering? Did you have any guidance in sending your measurements? Did you measure yourself? I am not familiar with the list of measurements they have asked for in online ordering. Do they ask for your basic body measurements or are you adding ease to your measurements or to only some of them based on what info you think they are asking for? It is odd that you managed to get something that was big enough in the shoulders and hips and so small in the waist. Perhaps you can revisit the numbers you have based this on and if you get a remake, send them these pictures to illustrate the problem.

4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Hi Ttailor, thanks for the reply!

The measuring was done with the help of my wife. I did it the same way I did 3 years ago when I got a suit from Indochino. They ask for a bunch of various measurements including shoulder width (acromium to acromium), upper arm circumference, chest circumference, stomach circumference (near the umbilicus), hip/butt circumference, etc. The idea is that you submit these measurements and they create the garment based on whatever preconceived amount of "adding" they need to do to the jacket/pants. You also have the option of 3 different "fits" (Classic, Tailored, or Slim . . . I chose Tailored) which presumably affects how much or how little they add to your own measurements.

I suspect I may have either measured incorrectly for the stomach circumference, or been inadvertently "sucking in" my stomach when measuring without realizing it. Either way, I suspect that something on the order of an extra 1-2" in that measurement should be increased, no? My hope was to not end up with a boxy looking suit, but the pendulum definitely swung way too far in the wrong direction.

I will be emailing them these photos as well (they usually request fit photos when you request a remake).

5. otherw1s3

otherw1s3 Member

*removed post*

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Moved your post over here @otherw1s3 . These guys will chime in with recommendations.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mrk200

Mrk200 Active Member

Hello! I've been searching for a sport coat that fits me well, and my latest attempt is this untailored Eidos in 42L. I think in general, the fit seems pretty good, but I think the torso needs to be brought in a bit, and the sleeves slightly shortened . Is this a keeper?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

9. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone - I ordered 2 sizes of a suitsupply lazio (42 and 44), and I have a feeling neither one is really a good fit. Even though there is a suitsupply store locally, I had a bad experience there and was sold something too small in the past. I'm still learning so I don't really trust the advice of the salespeople.

Thoughts on the 44? The pants are slightly baggy and bunch a bit with a belt. Realistically, how much can these be taken in? Even if they were taken in, I'm not sure the cut is really flattering. There is a well reviewed tailor in my city, but I could use some quick advice before I make that trip and potentially throw good money after bad. I have a suitsupply york (size 40) and napoli (42) as my other suits, but I think it may be time to try a different maker with more generous cuts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Strong example why many men should not shop at Suit Supply. It is mostly for slim men, and it does not carry the full range of sizes. Try, for example, Brooks Brothers in a size 43. 44 is also a possibility. 42 would be too tight.

2 people like this.
  11. vegasrealtor

vegasrealtor Active Member

Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some quick advice on a suit I currently have to see if it is savable or if I should start shopping for a new one. I would say I bought it no more than 8 months ago and as you can see, it does not fit that great anymore. I have already spent about $150 getting alterations done.
    The main issue is I have lost about 50 lbs since buying this suit. I am wondering if a tailor will be able to make it fit well for a reasonable price or if I should start looking for another blue suit. I really don't want a suit that doesn't hang right from having too much work done on it.
    Another thing to mention is I went from a size 36 to right between a 30 and 32 waist so I haven't even tried on the pants to see that situation yet.

Sorry I couldn't get direct pictures to show up.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/one240sx/IMG_2702.jpg
    http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/one240sx/IMG_2707.jpg
    http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/one240sx/IMG_2704.jpg
    http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa407/one240sx/IMG_2708.jpg

The last thought on this, do the shoulders still look okay? When shopping for a new suit online I sent some measurements over and they advised I might do better with a 40r as oppose to the 42r pictured here.

12. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I wish there was another retailer with this much variety in fabrics in a similar (or higher) price point, but it seems like a bit of a mindfield in the sub-1000 range. Brooks Brothers always seemed expensive for what it is, but maybe there will be some discounts after Christmas.

13. Gavinband

Gavinband Well-Known Member

Gents

Feedback appreciated! Getting annoying overhang at the back of this pair of trousers. Suit cuff isn't particularly wide, I think 15.5 or 16. Attached a view from front and two from side. I don't think they are particularly too short. Would a little extra length in the back resolve? It is a pretty thick cloth.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Gavinband

Further to above, attached a fuller leg pic..... Overall I don't mind fit just the ankle overhang looks awful to my eyes.

[​IMG]

15. BlackYeti

BlackYeti Well-Known Member

@BackInTheJox Can you post a full body shot? I'm curious what kind of silhouette that jacket creates. I'd recommend wider lapels for your build, btw.

16. Why Am I

Why Am I Active Member

After a few iterations of MTM, I have these pants and this shirt. They look like they need work, but I'm not sure exactly what. Any advice on what measurements, or anything else, that needs to be changed to improve the fits? Appreciate it.

First three are pants, last four are shirt. http://imgur.com/a/VOXu3

17. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

that shirt is awful!!!!!!!

18. Shirtmaven

do your knees hyper-extend?

19. Gavinband

Not that I know of.

20. Shirtmaven