1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. totolino85

totolino85 Well-Known Member

is it me or on the pic from behind it looks like the left shoulder is longer from the neck than the right one?

that aside, very nice!

1 person likes this.
  2. Ttailor

Ttailor Well-Known Member

Unlikely. If there is, it will be a marginal amount. Forearm/ front seam will have nothing to let out and shouldn't be touched anyway.
    See if you can feel for the edge of seam allowance on the back seam. If it is 1/4" to 3/8" wide you cannot do anything.

1 person likes this.
  3. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

If the jacket is RTW it is doubtful you will find any outlet. If by chance there is enough cloth to make a difference you will also need to let out the sleeve lining to have any benefit.

If the jacket was MTM or custom made by your tailor, you could have new sleeves made if the cloth is still available.

On the jackets we make we leave 1/2 to 3/4" outlet on the outside of the under sleeve and on the lining.

1 person likes this.
  4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Thanks, just wanted to make sure. I had ordered the suit some months ago, and had gained muscle weight in my shoulders and arms since ordering. I will see if the sleeves can be redone.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  5. puckstopper1

puckstopper1 New Member

I did. Luckily I'm fortunate enough to be in a city with a Suitsupply store and was able to have it all done on site; and furthermore the only alteration I needed was pants hem.

6. totolino85

totolino85 Well-Known Member

lucky you !

only SS suit I've took my very nice old lady tailor couple of hours to make it wearable!
    I had to alter nearly all the leg , most of the arms and the width of the jacket :)

(luckly for me I've this lady that was a woman taylor all her life, now she only does dresses for couple of women (among which there is luckly my mom) and repairs suit to me and few other guys !

7. theh00d

theh00d Well-Known Member

Hi there can I get some feedback on the fit of these two pants. Sorry the pictures aren't that great.
    Thanks.

J.Crew Ludlow Suit Pants in Italian Chino
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.Crew Bowery Pants in Cotton Twill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Another update...after posting these pictures, many of your comments were that the pants were still too slim. I had them re-made and just received them. They are much more comfortable now, any thoughts? I understand it looks a bit tight on the bottom still, however my body shape and posture is like that..I have quite wide hips comparatively.

Should I consider slimming the pants half a cm or anything? I also did some measuring and noticed that they hemmed the pant lengths incorrectly (left is slightly longer). Easy fix though...but which leg looks better?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As well, in regards to the jacket, I have the option to get it remade and longer, should I make any other changes or keep it as is? I'm concerned that as I have shifted to a more classic look for the pants, I may need to adjust the jacket accordingly?

Thanks for all your help guys.

9. 123abc

123abc Active Member

Well, I think the jacket looks like it fits pretty nicely. It's tougher to tell with the pants in the dark color in a photo. They don't "hang" like more traditional suit pants, look like more of a jeans fit, but that certainly isn't outside the more modern look, so it's based on what you want. Personally, I think if you get the pant legs tweaked correctly (I prefer the shorter leg in that more modern look, can't recall which leg on yours) you have a nice fitting modern look suit. The pants are far from "traditional" for a suit so don't worry about the shorter jacket - it still fits with the pants for the modern look.

I think the bottom line is, did you order a modern look for the suit? If so, that's what you have and hopefully what you still want. Some love that look some hate it, so the fact that I prefer a much loser fit pants and a larger overall jacket isn't material here. Maybe I'm jealous that I'm too old and frumpy to look good in a suit like that, who knows. It's a good pretty looking suit for what it is, IMO.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

First pic: -You need to get them hemmed to a proper length. Wear shoes when you go to wherever you get them done(vs sneakers, etc.) Second pic: -I just don;t like those pants.

11. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I did order for a more modern look, the majority of my current suits are very conservative in color and fit accordingly.

With this make, I strayed to a more unconventional color and cut, but the first attempt at the pants were simply too tight. I feel better about the pants now, but many people commented the jacket was still too short, but I do many people with that length on the modern fits.

12. chrispy650

chrispy650 Well-Known Member

Hi, these aren't the best pictures but I was wondering if this jacket fits my shoulders ok or if anything else should be done for a better fit. Not sure if the sleeves look like that because they got caught on the shirt or if it's with the fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. AL FINK

AL FINK Active Member

I got a question regarding shirts... How should a shirt fit at the hip when tucked? How much room should it be? I'm asking this because I'm having some of my shirt darted and wouldn't want the tailor make the waist-hip too tight.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  14. CraigC

CraigC Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Recently tried on this block at a mtm tailor. can it work?
    [​IMG]

15. Freqtraveler

Freqtraveler Member

Newbie to the site, would love any feedback on this suit. Pant length may need to be shortened, plus I prefer a little more room in the legs.

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. CraigC

CraigC Well-Known Member

Any tailors care to comment?

17. NeedForTweed123

NeedForTweed123 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thrifted this Polo seersucker jacket. It's a medium, and my size is generally a medium in sportjackets (40 in. Chest) yet this is really long and has no shape to it and just hangs like a lab coat. Thoughts/advice/opinions?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  18. HughJ

HughJ Well-Known Member

I actually thought it was a lab coat at first glance! Not a tailor, but the prognosis will be poor even with a significant investment in alterations. Maybe you can flip it?

19. NeedForTweed123

NeedForTweed123 Well-Known Member

Yeah it definitely did not cost enough to warrant extensive alterations. If nothing can be done, I'll probably try to resell. I just wanted to get a prognosis before I do anything. I have no idea why it's so insanely long. It's over a inch longer than my long jackets.

20. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

Probably mislabeled.