• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Divots occur for many reasons other than too big or small. In this case it could be arm and or shoulder pitch. Also, shoulders could be sloping and pitching forward which can create a divot. Will be worse if sizing down if that is the case. If those are the case, it's a problem handled at the pattern stage. Worth checking a size down and size up for the heck of it but posture may have more to do with it.
I have to look at suit supply stuff. It looks very Tom Ford esque. So far, I've seen no rtw brand that can stack up to Tom ford so I'd love to see their product.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

This is my first tailors' thread fit pic! Sorry for the poor fotos. I used a tripod, but lighting is an issue. I'll try to do better next time :)

Other than the sleeves and pant length, I'd appreciate any feedback or alteration advise you have for this suit and sc.

Thanks so much!

BB Fitz GF Suit 36S

bb-1.jpg

bb-2.jpg

bb-3.jpg

Howard Yount Jacket 36

hy-1.jpg

hy-2.jpg

hy-3.jpg

jcep

Reaction score

Not great pics but button stance looks ok. any lower and it could wreck proportional balance. It's not aggressively high anyway. FYI I will be in NYC on the 20th if you can wait that long.

Thanks OTC (I should have linked to it but posted another set after -not sure if you were referring to that one or the set quoted). Thanks and I will for sure reach out. Thank you for takin the time to take a look and for letting me know, I will PM you so I can get details from you.

gtvisa2002

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

Hoping to get your feedback on alterations on these dress pants. I am revisiting my wardrobe and trying to replace old baggy pants with better fitting ones.
I think the thy, knee areas need to be taken in along with the height.

I would really appreciate your feedback. I am going for a slimmer look but don't want it to be too tight either. Thanks much.

Sorry about the black belts with Brown shoes. I just put this on to give you a feel. Will make sure to pair them appropriately next time.

Last edited:

ilijancho

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I would really appreciate your feedback on the following suit. I know that the sleeves and the pants have to be shortened. My biggest concern is the area in front of the right arm pit, which looks off and I am not sure what kind of alterations might fix it. Thank you very much for the feedback

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gentlemen, ilijancho has nicely demonstrated exactly the kind of pictures you need to post to get useful feedback.

dijor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know the cause why the armhole of a jacket pinch on the upperarm (beneath the armpits)? I have this with different brands. The shoulder widht seems to be ok and the armholes are not low (neapolitan makers i.e. caruso, partenopea).

Last edited:

dunivan

Reaction score
General tailor question - I have a 44 R or S (no label) Hickey suit, I got it from my dad, and the pattern is pretty trad (gray), I am a 40S, I am wondering if a tailor can bring the jacket in that much. Generally, I read that 1 size is about max - so a 42, if the same applies to the pans that puts me at a 42/36 - which is too big.

Since this thread has the collective tailor power of a cottage industry, I'm hoping i can get a realistic idea of what can be done prior to bringing it to a tailor to get laughed at.

Thanks in advance,

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Not worth what you'd pay to have the work done.

tggibbs

Reaction score
Well, I've finally gone and bought a suit. I've been reading here since 2010 and swore my first suit would get posted here for opinions. It is an MTM from an online company and I'm considering this a "test" suit. It's given me a chance to learn about measurements and put into practice things I've only read about here until now. I have long arms and am very slim (ie: no butt) I can already see some things I think are wrong, but I would take the experts advice, obviously and I won't state anything I think I see right now. The sunlight was playing havoc with my camera but I believe you can see details fairly well. And sorry for the "lovely" backdrop. Can't find a full wall in the house in which to take pictures.

Pants are unhemmed, just cuffed for now. The place I got the suit from lets you choose a vest with any suit so I figured why not? I don't know that I'll where it with the suit, but it's nice to have to wear with jeans. I included pics to see how it fills out the jacket.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The place I got the suit from lets you choose a vest with any suit so I figured why not? I don't know that I'll where it with the suit, but it's nice to have to wear with jeans.

Don't do that... for the love of God, please don't do that. You've been reading these forums since 2010, you say? I'm surprised you still think this is a good idea... :uhoh:

Last edited:

ScottMC

Reaction score
I'm looking for any fit feedback for this suit. Thanks. I believe it is customary to apologize for picture quality.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for any fit feedback for this suit. Thanks. I believe it is customary to apologize for picture quality.

Fit looks very, very good, although the sleeves (particularly the right one) look a touch short for my tastes. And I assume you don't plant on wearing those shoes with the suit, right? :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads