1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Terpo

Terpo Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the Dockers D1.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Right!

I, the non tailor, figured this out myself and mentioned it to them. They then went into their automated system to see if the computer adjusted for this, when arm hole is raised. Apparently, it does not!

I hope they've fixed it, but as you (Despos) advised me earlier in this thread, probably not the sort of change to do in MTO. I dropped the arm hole back and it reduced the pressure of the arm hole against my front shoulder in the first jacket (I was surprised that this would work, given Alex "a Tailor's" tutorial on this in the tailor's thread).

3. GSTT

GSTT Member

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is any standard relationship between jacket size across the back and shirt size across the back. For example, if I wear a jacket that measures 18 inch across the back, would the shirt measurement be the same? Or should it be a little roomier? Am I correct in assuming that these back measurements for a shirt and jacket are made in the same position?

Thanks a lot for your help!

4. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

There is a difference in execution and therefore results when working with a MTM factory and a tailor.

5. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

no, don't compare the two. Jackets and shirts are made differently and fit differently.

6. GSTT

GSTT Member

Thanks, Despos. That answers my question.

7. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

Quick question, is there any chance that a 2m length x 1.5m width (or 80x60") of gun club fabric (with over check of ~5-6cm) could be sufficient for a 40R/L sports coat (my chest 40", my waist 34", BOC 31", sleeves 26")? With patch pockets? Or am I sheer out of luck?

PS: Apologies if this has been covered here before and I'm sure it has and the general wisdom was 2.5m minimum +0.5 for large pattern to be safe. Alas, there is only 2m of this fabric available, that's why.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  8. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

It is enough cloth.

1 person likes this.
  9. dohare

dohare Well-Known Member

quick question:

better to have the mid-thigh measurement too large and take in or too tight and let out?

10. DeSense

Thanks a lot. You made my day. [​IMG]

11. Buitenspel

Buitenspel Member

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on as well my shirt as my suit. The shirt is a trial shirt from ModernTailor (the online MTM). The suit is from my local SuitSupply.

Here come the pictures (quite a few of them):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for your time!

12. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

better to have the mid-thigh measurement too large

13. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

The suit is too big in the shoulders (or that could be caused fabric pulling in the back). Despos, what would you do in this situation above? Would you have him size down, or could the shouder puckering be solved by taking out the back a bit?

14. Buitenspel

Buitenspel Member

Thank you for your response.

Well, sizing down is impossible as I am already on the smallest size (42 in Dutch, don't know the American sizes) and OTR they don't even have 42, only 44 and up. So I am waiting for the suggestion of some others on whether taking in the back might solve the problem.

I need to order more suits as this is my first (proper) suit (I need to wear them daily from April onwards), Suit Supply doesn't seem to be a good option as they don't have my size. Therefore I was thinking about ordering online at Black Lapel. What is your opinion on them? Or any other suggestions?

Again thank you for your time and response.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  15. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I'm not a tailor, but I get a similar effect in the shoulders too sometimes. It could be caused by tightness in the back.

16. danne888

danne888 Well-Known Member

Im buying a dark blue suit for a wedding and work. I figured i could try Suitsupply and im not entirely sure about the length of the jacket. The jacket covers my bum but its to short according to the "cup your hands test". I have really long arms and usally have to lengthen the arms on my jackets which i would have to do with this one also. I think that the "cup your hands test" doesnt work for me because of my long arms. A long-version of the suit would be 4 cm (1,75 inches) longer, it would also be wider over the shoulders, the chest and so on..I think its either this suit or another brand for me..

What do you guys think? Is it too short? If its short, is it "short but acceptable" or "wont work"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. DeSense

Judging by front and side view the jacket seems ~1" too short, sleeves same by maybe 0.5". This based on proportions mostly, your top is short in relation to your lower half. Secondly, the front shows that it doesn't cover your crotch fully.

I have a jacket myself which is too short and wonder whether lengthening would be possible, at all?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  18. dkidsun

dkidsun Member

How's the fit? What alterations would you recommend? Thanks very much in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  19. LetsGOnats

LetsGOnats Member

The suits are from Suit Supply. I posted one picture in the SS NYC thread, but they recommended that I post here. The navy suit is the Napoli 38R and the gray suit is the Lazio 38R. I had the sleeves lengthened on the Napoli, but not the Lazio. Is there anything I can do about the jacket/sleeve length? Do the pants fit appropriately? I've only worn each suit once, but purchased them over 30 days ago. Is there any chance that SS will exchange or accept a return?

I work in a conservative environment (law firm/finance/accounting) and I need these to work in an office setting. Am I totally screwed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

Could I can some help on whether this would work...after alterations? Does it look like it's one size big?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]