1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

They say there is some truth in every joke.

2. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Before altering to the extent that atailor suggests, try having the jacket shaped and sized to you. The jacket is way too loose around the waist. Most effective would be to open the side seams to divide the amount you reduce the waist by taking two thirds from the fronts and one third from the back. This may bring the cloth pattern in line and be acceptable to you. It should reach 80% of correcting things but if you want perfection you can add the adjustments atailor recommends.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
  3. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Agree with what was said. The button position is the biggest problem here.

The shirt looks sloppy but doesn't looked tucked in very well. Have the back reduced only. have the side seams opened and reduce the sides at the waist on the back part only ,1 1/2" on each side.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
  4. silvermagenta

silvermagenta Well-Known Member

is a neck measurement required for suit jackets? i am currently working with a tailor - trying to develop a good relationship - would like to tell him how to avoid it.

5. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

If you have to tell your tailor what to do, you are working with the wrong tailor.

6. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

Sorry- missed this question. It usually has to do with a bit of a belly and the coat not being cut to cover it. There is a manipulation that can be done to the pattern before cutting; it would be a beast to do on a finished garment, not really worth the effort. Some MTM operations have an alteration for this.

7. Seph

Seph Well-Known Member

+1

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Maybe the tailor knows and is too polite to tell the customer to mind his own business...

9. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

hey guys, what do you think if i shorten the jacket by 0.5' which is illustrated in the right side of the picture?Would that balance it out with my thin frame or would it be too short?And would love to know how to address bunching at the back of the sleeves.Appreciate the comments.Sorry for the crappy pictures though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Can't possibly judge length properly without a full-length shot, to see how long your legs are.

11. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  12. Coburg

Coburg Member

Thank you in advance to the three tailors for doing this.

What I need most is help knowing how good this tailor is. I'm at school in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, and he is the only person I've heard recommended as able to handle a suit here. As I can't afford higher-quality experimentation right now, I brought him this BB BrooksEase. I just went in, put on the suit and let him envelope me in a storm of pinning without direction.

Also, any recommendations for serious tailors in the Research Triangle area would be really, really great.

[​IMG]

Finally, I'd like to have my coat sleeves tapered but did not ask him to do so. Do I just want barely enough room for a french cuff to fit inside? Would this slim the sleeve enough to still look good with barrel cuffs? Any guidelines on tapering a sleeve so it works with both kinds of cuffs would be great.

[​IMG]

Thank you again.

13. Gorpomon

Gorpomon Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to SF, I just discovered this website today. This thread is particularly cool, and I've devoured all 231 posts so far, what a good way to spend an hour.

I think this is probably the best spot on the internet to answer a long burning question I have.

I got these pants tailored earlier this summer, after a few wearings I noticed what is in the picture, a black schmutz of string on the crotch of the pants. After I saw this, I stopped wearing the pants, as I had concern that they might rip while being worn, please let me know if this fear is unfounded. I pulled out all the black thread, there were pieces of black thread sticking out of the fabric all around the seam that were not on the seam. Finding this was also confusing for another reason. I took these to a tailor who is reportedly one of the best ones in the DFW metroplex where I reside, I would like to know if this is an indication of receiving poor service.

Please let me know if this can be common in the crotch area of pants after tailoring. All I had done was the legs tapered a bit, the waist let out and the pant legs hemmed. The black schmutz can be seen in the seam as the dark line, and all around it were flecks of black thread that I pulled out, not on seams but just in the fabric.

.[​IMG]

Below is an inside the pant shot, if you look, you can see black dotting on the fabric to the right of the seam.

[​IMG]

Any answers or feedback is greatly appreciated! And if the pictures are not of proper quality to provide assistance, I will post clearer ones post haste.

Regards,
    Ron

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Got this jacket off b&s for $55. 100% virgin wool shell. Navy. A basic jacket that I have been looking for.

Shoulders fit fine. Main concern is the sleeves and body/body length.

Is it worth it to get it tailored? I want a modern slim fit (not skinny) fit. You can see I am pretty thin fellow.

I apologize for the crappy photos, just got this today after work and took quick pics.

I do no doubt that this tailoring job can be done, but worth it?

FYI, I was told this is how the jacket should fit. A shirt underneath will be fine. But I want to get the sleeves slimmed and shortened and the body slimmed and shortened as well.
    The armhole is also fairly low, is that easy to alter?

At this point it feels more like a coat rather than a jacket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

better photos later***

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Gentlemen. Seriously. These tailors have graciously agreed to hook us up with free advice. The least we can do is provide properly exposed, in-focus photographs. We can't expect any useful feedback on pics which show a triangle of white shirt and an amorphous blob of black/navy/gray suit with no detail. At least go outside to take the pics. Please.

2 people like this.
  16. gettoasty

It's not the same now now that I have work and get off by the time sun goes down (winter). It is no excuse though, I'm sorry. :foo:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  17. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Ask the tailor who worked on it. Have the suit dry cleaned. Haven't seen anything like this so couldn't tell you anything about this.

18. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Just looks too big

19. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Looks pretty much OK. Don't know how close it fits around the waist of the jacket but if it is not too snug some shape to the waist would look better. Ask the tailor about the width of the sleeve opening. Hard to judge from internet pics.

20. gettoasty

Too big and just cut my losses?