1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Oct 29, 2012.

1. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

2. diniro

diniro Well-Known Member

3. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Well-Known Member

Yeah as I was reading it I kept cringing for so so so many reasons.

I'm not going to bother writing it all, but off the top of my head, the biggest thing that struck me as just... juvenile, almost, are his ideas about what "good" music is and the and music that makes you feel things. All of the "good" music he names are things he is obviously nostalgic for and evoke those same emotions from the younger days of his own personal lifespan, and with regards to the older stuff (50's, 60's, 70's) it's probably stuff he liked as he was at the point where he was really getting into music so of course it will resonate with him on a deeper level.

This ties into the bit about playing a top 40 song from 10 years ago will get people excited, while playing one from 4 years ago will get boos. A crowd will respond to something that brings back memories from a decade ago, but there hasn't been enough time passed for one from 4 years ago to really do anything of significance. It's at that point where radio/club plays have finally diminished long enough that you aren't bombarded by it so much after it reached it's saturation point, and people don't want to jump back to that so quickly.

But don't get me started on his use of the phrase "classic rock" which makes me audibly groan to the point of exhaustion every time i hear it

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. hennree

hennree Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  5. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Well-Known Member

It never hurts to revisit Holy Mountain

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

7. runyourchain

runyourchain Well-Known Member

Real dope how to make a beat by CHOPS the guy who did lonely islands "the creep" and a bunch of other stuff with kayne lil Wayne and a lot of indie stuff. This was on his kickstarter page

8. diniro

diniro Well-Known Member

Also the shitty music of older eras are not gonna survive the test of time generally speaking, so he's probably not going to be subjected to their shitty music. Not to mention a lot of the music that did passed the test of time wasn't even popular when they were released. Article is the equivalent of those youtube comments made by holier than thou doofuses that you see in every other music videos, like this:

[​IMG]

9. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

10. Donut

Donut Well-Known Member

Diniro do you think Old is better than XXX? Curious about your opinion, im about to give it a listen now.

11. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

That article is the equivalent of people on CM who always rant about the "Timeless and Classic" James Bond style.

1 person likes this.
  12. superego

superego Well-Known Member

been listening to a bullshit version of the new drake album for the past week, fuck...handful of tracks in common, but 'connect', my now current fave, was noticeably absent

13. shootspeed

shootspeed Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  14. diniro

diniro Well-Known Member

too early to make that call but they follow the same formula. Except this time the first half with the introspective shit, and second half the harder shit. Gonna wait for the physical copy and let it marinate through some headphones.

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

16. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

It's well worth spending 50 minutes of your time on this concert from Tony Allen (arguably the best drummer in the world) and band...

[​IMG]

17. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

From a ways back, but it's been back on my mind with them coming to my area at the end of this month with Ab-Soul, Joey Bada$$ and Pro-Era

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  18. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  19. superego

superego Well-Known Member

danny brown and purity ring should just do an album together already this is incredible, and bellispeak II was equally ridiculous [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  20. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013