1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cognacad, Sep 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Smitty if yo find yourself fitting a 42R in RLBL, I got some good deals :spam:

1 person likes this.
  2. smittycl

smittycl Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I wear 42L in RLBL but thanks!

3. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Why do you rate AJ higher than Martin Greenfield MTM?

1 person likes this.
  4. dreamspace

dreamspace Well-Known Member

The Oxxford 1220 model is BY FAR the nicest looking American cut I've ever seen, at leas OTR. If you enjoy the typical soft shoulders/wider lapels/high armholes/high gorge/etc. features that Kiton, Attolini, and the other usual suspects offer, you'll probably enjoy the 1220 immensely.

1 person likes this.
  5. smittycl

I'm not. I have no experience with Greenfield other than reading that their quality seems to have suffered lately. Didn't they make BB Golden Fleece at one point but they had quality issues?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  6. smittycl

From what I've been able to gather from my tailor Oxxford's 1220 line failed miserably. The suits might be nice but Oxxford failed to connect with their target younger audience and their older clients didn't like the qualitative difference between 1220 and their Highest Quality line. That said, I've never tried on a 1220 so I have no idea what they are like. I have trouble thinking Oxxford would make a bad product, though.

1 person likes this.
  7. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

When you said "Oxxford is rated, along with Adrian Jules in Rochester, as the two best suit makers in the US" I read that to mean the MG MTM is not one of the two best suit makers in the US.

1 person likes this.
  8. smittycl

I was just repeating what was in the article I linked to in my previous post. Hickey Freeman is also a fantastic US suit maker in my opinion. I have several and appreciate the cut and fabric. Some of Brooks Brothers' GF suits are excellent although the one I have from Italy is far superior to my other made in USA GF.

Lots of good US suit makers. Not trying to disparage Greenfield!

9. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I am going to have to call BS on you.

The idea that Adrian Jules, or laughably, Hickey Freeman is in the same quality range as Martin Greenfield is highly suspect. However, trying to compare Adrian Jules to Oxxford, one of the best constructed, handmade suits in the world, has cost you all credibility in my opinion.

There is simply no comparison and if your experience and opinion on this topic is limited to the article you linked to, then you either need more experience or are in fact, Adrian Jules.

10. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  11. smittycl

Wow, quite the back-and-forth this morning! No, I am not AJ and have no connection to anyone. I just know what I read and what I chat with my tailor about. I also see their AJ suits and am impressed.

I have no experience with Greenfield though I assume they are quite good from what I read here. Just because I mentioned HF doesn't mean I'm comparing them to anyone. I mention them and BBGF's as respectable American-made suits, nothing more. I will readily admit my data points are limited.

Back to work for me.

12. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

innnn

1 person likes this.
  13. classicman

classicman Active Member

Video of making of a Kiton Suit in Naples. Watch first 8 mins. Lots of good details.

1 person likes this.
  14. Markboots

Markboots Well-Known Member

Even if I experienced all the major brands, I just don't have the experience as many on this forum do to really compare and give feedback.

I have purchased 4 D'Avenza jackets and 1 Belvest recently and the quality, style and fit are superb to my untrained eye. 3 of the jackets required zero tailoring with only 2 requiring the sleeve length shortening.

I am just thankful I stumbled onto this site because I never would have known about these brands. I thank all of you for the information posted!!

Since I currently don't have a suit I just purchased this one and should receive this in the mail shortly.

I have had such an awesome experience with topshelfapparel that I can't recommend Eric enough. All the items above I mentioned where bought through topshelfapparel.

Top quality products, awesome pricing and fantastic customer service. He gives all the major measurements and the fact I can buy with minimum to zero tailoring is fantastic. Maybe I can be a fit model : )

Mark

1 person likes this.
  15. smittycl

Yeah, I've bought from Eric for years now. Oxxford, Zegna, Kiton. A great place to buy and also to research.:slayer:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  16. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

don't think require tailoring or not is not an indication of quality, it's individual to individual dependent

17. Markboots

Don't think I said that. It is an added perk that I really appreciate.

1 person likes this.
  18. Markboots

Decided to branch out from the 5 blue blazers I bought recently. Should arrive today. Another D'Avenza

1 person likes this.
  19. smittycl

Bold Choice! Not sure I could pull that off.

20. Markboots

[​IMG]. I have fully embraced color and actually enjoy knowing that when I wear that to work, I will not have to worry about seeing someone else doing the same. I will try and post a picture once I get the sleeve buttons sewed on with an outfit.

Being able to pull something off to me says more about the confidence of the person wearing the clothes. Of course there are boundaries and everyone has different tastes.

People I work with love black pants and wear black pants with blue shirts all the time so it is a crowd that looks to me to add color : ).

I had a picture of me in bright orange pants with a cream blazer and white shirt around here somewhere. This jacket is a lot tamer than that [​IMG]

1 person likes this.