1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cognacad, Sep 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. doctorman

doctorman Well-Known Member

that's a great question. i'd like to know too. for the sake of discussion, i would really like to know what one can get for $1000 without waiting for a christmas/sample/once-a-lifetime sale. for the sake of the discussion, maybe we can exclude tax/tailoring, just to keep things simple. also, maybe we can avoid the "well, you know, for $200 more dollars, you can get this" recs...

2. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

MZhammer, have we ever get regular folks to rate which suit that's the same plain black color looks nicer on a person? I bet they choose the nicer one based on which one fits better on the person wearing it. They won't notice why one may drape better due to the full canvas. This is why I mention cut because the person asking the question was looking for the best deal as a first suit. Obviously we look for other qualities as we already know which brands, models, lines fit us best.

Right now I'm in a tropical country where it's almost as hot as a desert, so the most comfortable jackets are unlined. Having said that a person buying a first suit is budget conscious and unless he's willing to spend some more to get a Benjamin Sartorial I'm not sure where you can get full canvassed suit for less than $525. Though I recommend him to spend that much and get a Benjamin with all the acceptable elements of a true suit.

I know billionaires who wear fake watches because people don't care what they wear, their names alone are worth much more. But don't be fooled that they don't know what good quality stuffs are. I personally have 1 Zara suit for going to the factories where it's hell and a bunch of Isaias, Cornelianis, etc etc so yes being on this forum I truly give a damn about what's good but we're talking about image and that's all that matters when talking about a first suit. Heck it's all that's important when getting an OTR or MTM suit be it an Armani or Canali as you can spend a bit more for a no-name bespoke that's way more badass looking. Let's face it, this thread exists solely for the purpose of helping people looking for the best deals off the net.

3. tonylamer

tonylamer Well-Known Member

Sartorio suits on eBay can be had for under $1,000. Their natural shoulder is excellent, as is the drape and fabric.

4. McKriss

McKriss Well-Known Member

For shopping under 1000$
    Seller "sartoriale" on eBay always has exceptional suits in very competitive prices. We're talking Stile Latino, Sartorio, Caruso, Sartoria Partenopea and even Isaia for well under a grand. Seller "rosymimmo" offers Sartoria Parma and Ma.Co suits without reserve every week. "spenceclothing-italy" offers mainline Corneliani, PRL and more in very low prices, and they offer even more in their website spence.it (haven't bought anything from it, would appreciate any feedback). Finally, you can always resort to Yoox for Belvest, Sartoria Partenopea, Ravazzolo (my favourite), MP di Massimo Piombo (made by Kiton AFAIK), mainline Corneliani, Caruso, Canali, Cantarelli, Luciano Barbera and Sartorio, and many many diffusion lines. I like them as they come through with their refunds on time. Hope this helps, at least as a start.

5. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

Yes $500, full canvas, made in italy. But where are the selections? :(

6. tonylamer

As of today, you can choose from 38 listed on eBay. Just keep checking because new stuff pops up daily.

7. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Sartoriale on ebay is great for non-staple items. The best bet is still with Yoox and other online discounters.

8. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Well-Known Member

I've looked at Yoox, but the details are not there, plus you cannot get any customer service to measure or give me codes on a suit before you buy it.

I like Ebay sellers 'Frieshskys' and 'topshelfapparel'. Get to know one or two brands. I know all of the Canali codes and bodies and know what I'm getting. Isaia should be easy to follow too. There are a bunch of 19 and 14 series Canali suits out now, which are the drop 8 bodies. 19 is extra slim.

9. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

I only see 1 listing... unless you're referring to "Sartorio Napoli by Kiton"?

10. tonylamer

Yes, Sartorio is Sartorio Napoli by Kiton. Whoever made the list just shortened the name.

11. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

I don't see anything under $595 even haggled probably down to $500 for jacket only. This goes back to the argument of "if you can spend a bit more". Any full canvas full suit alternative for $525 max?

12. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

Nsuited has some belvests for 500 or so. EHaberdasher is close too.

13. tonylamer

What happened to $1,000?

I know from vast experience that you can buy those sportcoats for $500. You can pair them with a pair of Banana Republic flannels (<$100) and you'll get the look you want.

14. bobbymilwaukee

bobbymilwaukee Active Member

Does anyone have any experience with Sid Mashburn suits?

15. Riva

Riva Well-Known Member

Benjamin is full canvas full suit at $525 so we're looking at that range now as to some people anything other than full canvas is crap (regardless of other properties like fabric, stitching, made in italy etc) and should be avoided. If jacket only I'd say there should be a new benchmark like for example $350? Bespoke starts at $1000.

16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Is anyone familiar with Paul Betenley suits? What can you tell me about them?

17. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Well-Known Member

hi,Kriss
    i wonder the MP quality is equal to kiton or sartorio?
    Thanks!

18. dirnelli

dirnelli Well-Known Member

For anyone that is size EU56R/UK46R reading this thread and trying to find awesome deals online, and doesn't mind the idea of buying excellent quality second hand, then you should know that I'm selling every suit pictured on my WIWT blog, having now lost nearly 20 kgs.

Check out http://dirnelli.tumblr.com and send me a PM if you want to know more about a particular item.

My prices range from 50€ to 800€, and everywhere in between. Much of what I own is fully canvassed, with lots of handmade, and even some bespoke. I own just about every high end brand you could want to buy, as you will see from my comprehensive review: http://dirnelli.tumblr.com/search/review

PS. Before anyone asks, no, I'm not selling my Camps de Luca or my LVSN for 800€, those would be the only 2 exceptions. Everything else falls in the price range I mentionned.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  19. McKriss

McKriss Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I can't answer as I've never even seen them up close. One would imagine they would be on par, though. If you live in Europe, you could always order somethin from Yoox, examine it and send it back for a refund. Have tried it, works :satisfied:

20. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

I like them too, there was a write up on Noble Custom as well as a 10% off code for shopping at their website.

http://noblecustom.com/brand-highlights/frieschkys-the-best-menswear-store-that-doesnt-exist/

Excerpt by Mods request:
    Frieschskys – The Best Menswear Store That Doesn’t Exist (Part 1)

OK, it does exist, but not in a traditional brick and mortar location. It may seem strange to buy your next Brioni suit over the internet but in this digital age why can’t your trusted haberdasher actually be online? Frieschskys has built a reputation, and a devout following on eBay, by offering guys the best of both worlds: great selection and prices they can stomach.
    Think of it as T.J. Maxx’s cooler, older brother; the one in the leather jacket who looks like he could kick your ass. They do virtually the same thing as sites like Gilt or Yoox, they buy last season’s fashions or even entire stores that are closing down, but the difference is the selection. You don’t have to wade through a sea Greg Norman polos to find the good stuff, “we buy value” says owner Tim Friesch. A quick glance shows he buys value… and brands like Brioni, Ferragamo, Belvest, Canali, Zegna and Borrelli.
    [​IMG]

One of the great things about them is their constantly changing inventory. When they first started out, Friesch says he had to travel 3 days a week just to keep stock up but now he only has to travel once or twice a month, “word gets out, the clothing industry is pretty tight-knit.” Most items displayed for sale are in very limited quantity, giving you a constantly changing rotation of options. Don’t see exactly what you want today? Come back in a week or two and check again...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013