1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

+ The Streetwear Suits and Blazers Thread +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Oct 23, 2012.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

LUC makes some really nice looking stuff... pricey though. Seen some interesting Nicolas Andreas Taralis blazers too.

2. cyc wid it

-dbl-

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. hoozah

hoozah Well-Known Member

I guess that was my concern. Is the quality noticeable or is LUC just more obscure.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. spacepope

spacepope Well-Known Member

A while back I tried on that LUC jacket Parker posted and was blown away. Really nice stuff and priced accordingly. Sizing seems kind of inconsistent though.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

LUC makes superlative knitewear, and if you stick to that, you can rarely go wrong,

One other thing that is interesting is when something very #menswear or "classic" is repurposed. For example, it's easy enough to see this (and you can see that the dimensions of this jacket make it a perfect candidate) worn with anything from chinos to jeans to wierd O crotch pants (for your internal bowlegged dude.)

[​IMG]
    (http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-56170-borrelli-beige-jacket-size-40-us-50-eu.aspx).

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Incidentally, I saw something like this at Ron Herman from about 10 years ago. It was awesome. There was a jacket like this (I think that it was a Margiela jacket), worn rumpled, but quite fitted (especially for that time), with a simple tee, roomy cargoes (take that Luciano Barbera), some sort of canvas military belt, and kicks. That type of ease was what I took away from LA, and that I think is something that is done much better in LA than in NYC, where, frankly, there is a lot of trying ridiculously hard.

7. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

arcane details sidebar #1:

In case anyone didn't know already, the term blazer originated with the bright, and often striped, jackets worn by English university boating clubs in the 1800s. The bright colors apparently "blazed in the sun". Blazers were kind of the NFL or English Premier League team jerseys of the day. They were worn to "gentlemen's sporting events" like regattas to show support for your school team. Today, you'll still see the influence of the blazer in sports -- e.g. Tiger Woods in green blazer when he wins the Masters, the Ralph Lauren US Olympic Team opening ceremonies costumes, the gold ABC newscaster blazer, etc. Although you probably won't see them at Nascar. The typical fitted navy blue jacket with metal buttons that we all know as a blazer is actually derived from naval uniforms and was originally called a reefer jacket -- usually double breasted and worn by sailors for harsh weather. It probably was made with heavy melton wool. These jackets evolved over the years into the modern dark blazer with metal buttons that you'll see racks of at Brooks Bros. or Jos. A. Banks. The term sport coat was used for jackets that originally were worn for land-based sports like hunting, riding horses or "going to college in the 1950s". Striped blazers had a comeback when Mods adopted them in the early 1960s, then again with the Mod revival in the 70s, and still again with Thom Browne and his fellow neo-trads in the 2000s. The navy blue reefer blazer has become the only "odd jacket" most dudes will ever own.

Since the 1980s, most people (outside of the men's clothing fora) -- including retailers and magazines -- have used the term blazer to describe almost any suit-style jacket that does not have a pair of matching pants. After all, no one is playing -- let alone watching -- sports in these kind of jackets any longer, and blazer just kind of sounds cooler than sport coat. Though it would fun to start using the term reefer more often.

end of sidebar. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    12 people like this.
  8. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

Thanks Parker! Love picking up little tidbits of history like this.

9. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I've always been partial to the term "odd jacket", but I suppose it sounds a bit anachronistic (or British, but that's essentially the same as anachronistic).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. nowiremember

nowiremember Well-Known Member

i think i am going to take a chance on the our legacy technical blazer..

11. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

I checked and this does have the "tailor made" label .Here's a photo and upon posting I think it looks decent. The pants need hemmed and everything needs pressed but overall I think just skipping a tie as Fuuma suggested makes it look right.

[​IMG]

12. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Was actually wearing one of the pocket squares from the new collection (which will be available online next week)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

Interested in the Our Legacy technical blazer..but don't really want to drop that much yet. Any of the Uniqlo jackets similar?

14. cyc wid it

1 person likes this.
  15. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

16. lineate

lineate Well-Known Member

That is an excellent fit! I have that exact same suit and am going to try to wear it casually. Did you have it tailored quiet a bit? I think I may need to get the jacket taken in a bit.

17. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

no I just had the sleeves lengthned since I have monkey arms.. I also tapered the pants.

18. felixking

felixking New Member

I'm looking for an "everyday sportcoat" - any recommendations on where to get "unstructured stuff that you find from italian labels" i.e. could you specify for us noobs here? thanks

19. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Admittedly I have limited exposure, but from what I've tried I strongly prefer very structured jackets (a la margiela) to unstructured ones. Am I missing something huge here? I generally go very casual.

20. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

The structured shoulders usually make me feel really self conscious when trying to go for a casual look, but that's just me