1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

+ The Streetwear Suits and Blazers Thread +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

here are some stills from the short film I shot for my line
    I believe they fall into this category

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Obviously, RRL makes tons of "sportsjackets" that can be or are specifically meant to be worn with jeans/as streetwear.

3. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

Love this thread. Had actually been considering this look, but wasn't ballsy enough to try something on my own. Definitely getting some great ideas from here, just worried about making that first purchase and having things not fit as I want...

Would completely unstructured be the way to go for broader shoulders? (Don't know if anybody saw WAYWT over the last week).

4. kashmir

kashmir Well-Known Member

Just curious.. what sort of belt will compliment these? I'm guessing grey suede?

5. LA Guy

Depends on the color, material, silhouette. Definitely a casual belt. I have a black/brown Margiela double ring belt that goes with most things. I have a dark blue Barena jacket which is ridiculously easy to compliment, colorwise, but the dark green one is more of a challenge. You definitely want something dove grey or black toned with it. The Richard Geller and the Wings+Horns cargo jacket are both black, so anything with a black tone works. I personally like belts that have some character of their own. The Margiela belt I was just talking about, for example, is made from interesting leather, and each ring also has little nuts and rings around them, like a bangle of some sort. Or I like the distressing of an Alexander Fielden belt. For some of them, a worn down, scratched up, bridle leather belt works well also.

I'm a believer in "the comfortable wardrobe", in that I think that each thing that you own should feel like yours, something you've worn for years, not a museum piece. I am not, however, a proponent of the "minimalist" wardrobe. That's good for monks, but not for people who love clothes.

1 person likes this.
  6. LA Guy

Unstructured can worn for anyone, it's just a matter of how it fits. Generally, if you are broadshouldered but tall and lanky, you can go drapey, and things can look great. If you are not, either you need some serious swag, or you should get things that are fitted, because otherwise, you can look like a sloppy bag.

7. barrangadang

barrangadang Well-Known Member

anyone know where that blazer phonics posted on the first page is available?

8. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

Re: shoulders and fit, when I bought the mentioned harris tweed jacket, the store guy was "shocked" how wide my shoulders and upper chest was, and he wanted me to try on stuff like L.B.M 1911 for giggles. Size 54 looked shrunk/ Pitti gone mad. So unlined isnt fool proof, but sure beats a highly structured shoulder. One thing Ive come to appriciate is jackets that are long enough in the body, even if they are to be worn casually. If you are tall, dont do that that short/shrunk look imo.

Parker, do you ever wear cord or tweed jackets?

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Blazer barely vis

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

really nice GT, i love the first one, that is collina right?

pics please!

1 person likes this.
  11. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Well-Known Member

need more eg bedfords
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Tirailleur1

this. You see 6 ft dudes rocking Thom Browne like it's nothing [​IMG]

13. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Well-Known Member

Parker post that purple corduroy suit you have!

I agree with this, and I think it's also why t-shirts tend to look better with casual jackets. Untucked dress shirts usually hit right around where the jacket ends which tends to be a very unflattering look. I think you shirt needs to be longer than the jacket (EG, Yohji) or visually shortened by tucking it in to achieve good balance.

14. elisiX

elisiX Well-Known Member

These look great IMO.

I am planning on wearing blazers more often with my commonly themed button down, chino's/denim, sneaks/brogues outfits.

A couple of shots where I have actually worn a blazer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously still learning to get proportions right. Very interested to see how this thread takes off.

15. Tirailleur1

I like the third jacket. What kind of fabric is it?

16. elisiX

elisiX Well-Known Member

Cotton I believe.

From a local Australian designer.

17. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

yeah, I have a couple cord jackets and a cord suit (navy, not purple, sorry two, but that would be boss). At one point I had a couple tweeds, but not anymore -- too hot and itchy. It's also a little too "country gentleman / English professor" for me. I think Junya does tweed really well though, with the patchwork, blocking and cool details.

[​IMG][​IMG]

For sure. That deconstructed style is pretty cool. Looks great to me. I guess, really, a "suit" is just pants and jacket made from the same material. I always like this Label Under Construction suit from the Atelier blog.

1 person likes this.
  18. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Since the professor is unlikely to grace us with fit pics, here are a couple of shots of the Geller "Richard" jacket (albeit in a different color; I believe Fok's is black). I think it's called a "jacket" because it doesn't button up further, and it can ostensibly be worn with the lapels down (I would not recommend this, however). The thing's really a cardigan.

19. LA Guy

I actually have he 48 (we are about the same size), and I think that it fits perfectly. I am probably 1/2 a size bigger than you, and I have, apparently, a much longer wingspan. The arms hit at about the same place, but the shoulders are more relaxed, and there is more room through the body, and slightly longer. I personally think that the it looks best that way, though you are entitled to interpret it for yourself. Mine looks nearly exactly like in the picture that Mortar had up, which is relaxed, but slim. It's a very lightweight piece (thick, but it's like a knit bonded to polartech, hard to explain), so it doesn't "droop" the way a heavier piece would.

[​IMG]

I will wear a shrunken jacket as well, but in that case, I like really saggy, baggy jeans, and some kicks. The idea in that case is to get the silhouette of an aikido uniform. There is an awesome picture of Hidetoshi Nakata in Emporio Armani from a while ago in either an Esquire or GQ shoot that shows a great example of this silhouette. Actually, a lot of Armani, who was always Japanese influenced, uses this silhouette, pairing a fitted jacket with a pinched waist with flowing pants.

20. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

junya blazers are so cool. totally a grail of mine.