1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

+ The Streetwear Suits and Blazers Thread +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

So, APK thought we should have a centralized thread to talk about suits and blazers with a streetwear -- aka fashion / designer -- point of view. There's already a ton of valuable info in the MC forum, but I know some streetwear guys just never go over there. Plus, the bias is mostly toward a classic, conservative business style which I doubt most on this side are after.

This isn't meant to compete with all the individual designer threads, just a place for more practical tailored clothing topics: basic suit and blazer questions, discussion of different styles, fit and combination advice, inspiration photos, shopping recommendations, simple alteration questions, whatever. However, I hope it will be more style- and design-oriented than technical. For nitty gritty technical questions, definitely check out the MC Tailor's thread. Those guys know everything.

I hope some of the other guys who know much more than I do will contribute. Anway, let's see how it goes.

3 people like this.
  2. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

My favorite suits have more or less classic proportions but use luxe materials or have some interesting details. I like a range of shapes from skinny rocker to loose boho--- and no tie, usually with a tee, knit or other non-business shirt and boots, tennies or other non-dress footwear. Anyway here's a few different shapes with various degrees of "suit-ness."

slim/structured - Costume National. I wish I had the build for this style. Dior Homme-ish
    [​IMG]

medium/unstructured - Dries
    [​IMG]

wide/loose/unstructured - Yohji I guess this is a suit, right?: same fabric for jacket and pants.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

cool.

Current SW pimping get up usually involves some type of blazer over Tshirt.
    They don't always have to be unstructured and drapey. Spurr's structured ones look great, if a little more formal:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. aperson

aperson Well-Known Member

For a primer in how to wear a suit in a streetwear style, see Tom Waits.

I never wear a suit unless I'm going to a wedding or something, but I usually wear a sportcoat every day. I try to stick with unstructured stuff that you find from italian labels, since it's easy to wear them without feeling out of place in a casual work environment.

5. phonics

phonics Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  6. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

^ I can get behind.

7. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

great thread idea, i love the idea of the 'streetwear suit', but it's pretty difficult to get it right IMO.
    is that blazer above harnden?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  8. hendrix

honestly your margiela one looked near perfect, just the photo wasn't that great.

1 person likes this.
  9. kashmir

kashmir Well-Known Member

ok: how do i make a brown corduroy SC cool, this thread-level cool?

10. hendrix

Wear burnt orange or forest green T underneath it.

really faded jeans.

and black derbies.

It looks good in my head.

11. kashmir

last outing was dark grey v neck, dark grey slim herringbone, and black austerity brogue they were all too sleek for the rustic corduroy. yea gotta try more colourful stuff and prolly some pocket square

12. robinsongreen68

without wanting to sound like a stalker, jude law does this look very well.

[​IMG]

13. robinsongreen68

^ kashmir your post reminded me that seeing this guy (waris ahluwalia) at frieze recently made me want a brown corduroy suit, i think they automatically have a kind of boho feel. fwiw in your position i'd go with this kind of vibe, just swap in some nice washed denim.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Well-Known Member

You're not going to make brown corduroy "cool" in an edgy/rocker/DH kind of way, but I like this look from Oi Polloi:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Yeah, brown cord is very American collegiate. I think it's best to just embrace that vibe. Just have something else cool going on, e.g. Wes Anderson hair or bare feet. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    6 people like this.
  16. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Brown cord blazer is classic. I wear mine like scruffy professor style. But I dunno if it will be cool like edgy... ever. At least so far as images of douchy tee shirts + slim black blazers.

1 person likes this.
  17. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

what you can do with it depends on what wale it is... thick or thin?

18. kashmir

nice suggestion fellas thanks. its thin wale, slimmer and shorter than the usual mc- approved proportion... natural shoulder, 3 roll 2. also layering is no go since im near equator, i guess that is the factor that makes it so out of place

19. kashmir

ramble

I've been wearing my black linen unlined blazer.. .but there can be only so much you can do with it. White v-neck underneath, white linen pocket square, black slim jeans and sleek boot Fuuma style... but the natural shoulders on mine create a slight dissonance with the sleek lower half. Also the buttons are basic plastic black.. I guess I should change them (any recs?). And finally.. when I change the tee to a tucked in white ocbd it felt dissonant again now that the bottom half is jeans. Probably a grey wool trousers will work. I notice that black blazer only work with with polar extremes, white insides or black. I tried grey OCBD and the black just died... or was it because the rustic nature of grey OCBD calls for tan SC or non-linen material...

20. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

who makes this?