1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Johnny_5, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

idk never handled frye's but i think grenson are made in the uk. i think my pair is full grain leather? depends on the model, honestly.

2. wickid

wickid Member

Im going to the Frye store to try them out tomorrow. No matter what else i look at the Frye Walter style i like the most.

But ive come across one more issue after reading one the previous comments. Snow! I live in NYC and it may not snow all winter but it usually does a few times and freezing temperatures leaves ice everywear. I read these could be dangerous on ice. I looked up Vibram Soles, does it matter what kind or will a $10 set from amazon work fine. Any help is appreciated since "Winter is coming!"

3. superego

superego Well-Known Member

honestly, the comments above are maybe the most measured and reasonable I've ever encountered on SF.

vibraming the soles is a good idea if you're in a sloppy climate and have a leather sole. costs like ~80 bucks depending on cobbler

ultimately, you should trust your gut though, as you're the one wearing them. sounds like you've got your heart set on those, so best to try them on, see how you like them, and then go for it if you're feeling it

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

I don't think I understand boots, guys.

I've finally got enough disposable income to get a quality pair of boots, and I want to size them right. So, I measured my actual foot, which is 27.62 cm (10.875 in) long and 11.18 cm (4.4 in) wide.
    I look through some shoe size charts, which put me between a 10.5 and 11. Cool.

Then, though, I go look at the shoes in my closet and their sizes. Unfortunately, I don't own any boots. Anyway, I wear an 8.5 or 9 in chucks (which I have heard run a size big), and a 9.5 in Vans (which run true?), with approx. 1.25 cm of extra room in the toe in both. Ok, US 9.5-10.

I go to Wikipedia and look up shoe size. The article states that "The inner cavity of a shoe must typically be 15–20 mm longer than the foot, but this relation varies between different types of shoes." So, 1.5-2 cm, about how my Vans fit.

If I go by wikipedia and only leave 15-20 mm of space in the toe, then my shoe size is 9.5. If I go by my foot measurement, it's 11. :fu:

Am I just used to wearing my shoes too small? Are boots meant to have nearly an inch of extra space in the toe? What if the boot has a wide toe?

Mostly, I'm frustrated because I've been looking at a pair of boots on sufu, and by one measurement, they should be perfect, while by the other, they are too small. If it's relevant, the shoe has a wide rounded toe, and the upper of the boot is basically flush with the sole. The outersole measurement is 31 cm. Even if I assumed that the material of the boot walls was an entire centimeter thick on toe and heel, that still gives 29 cm on the measurement, room to spare according to Wikipedia. Or am I being dumb, and need schooling on how boots work? Is outsole measurement worth anything at all in trying to size boots?

Help very very much appreciated.

5. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

Just go to a legit shoe store like AE, get measured on the brannock. Try on some shoes, remember the size and the model of those that fit you well, do further research on how that particular model fits and size your desired boots accordingly. Profit?

I`d rather not go by how some forum seller measured it. Hell even the online stockists would have varying measurements and every pair have their slight variances to account for... just too many factors. Last thing you want to be is in the wrong size when it comes to boots. These are not as forgiving unlike sneakers

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. Stefan88

Stefan88 Well-Known Member

+1

7. wickid

wickid Member

update: So I have gotten the Frye Walter in DK Brown that i posted earlier. Love the style, color, fit. They even feel very high quality but the leather is so soft soft it scratches VERY easily. My fingernail left a scuff taking it out the box :/. Any way to prevent this?

I purchased some Leather Honey after doing some research on a good conditioner. After applying and letting it dry over night, one of my boot is slightly darker brown than the other, if you stare you can notice. This is kind of bothering me, will it stay like this forever? How can i fix?

Ive thought about brushing clean (still have to buy brush) and re-applying, not sure if this would help. I really want them to be the same color

8. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

i had the same problems. a shoe manufacturer had a fit guide online you could print out...i measure 11.5 D...several returns and a trip to the store later, i find out i'm a 9.5 E.

You can either take your best crack at it at a site like zappos (order 2-3 pairs in different sizes, return the ones that don't fit) or go to a store and try them on and see if they'll match a deal you found online.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

how do you measure an 11.5d and find out you are a 9.5e? did you chop off some toes?

10. NormanF

NormanF Well-Known Member

Re-soled Galibier Super Guide? They would have originally had Makalu soles. They're top of line mountaineering boots.

11. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Well-Known Member

Pretty sure those are Diemme's.

12. superego

superego Well-Known Member

prob a size by measured in in/cm guide...diff between sizes is only fractions of an inch for the most part, so slight imprecision could fugg things up

13. NormanF

By now, every one knows how Diemme popularized ripple sole footwear - and its somewhat expensive if you want to fork over the moolah for one. As it so happens, the venerable British shoemaker Clarks has answered with this year's Newby Fly:

[​IMG]

This one looks sick with lovely stitching and a very masculine stance. I find myself drawn to it. There aren't many ripple sole footwear out there to be had at a reasonably price. With fall promos, one can pick one up for under $100, leaving plenty of holiday cash on hand, In Clarks, Diemme has found worthy competition!

14. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

^ugly

1 person likes this.
  15. NormanF

If you don't care for paratrooper style footwear, that's one view. Some people may like that vibe.

16. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Well-Known Member

Student budget.
    Looking for something with a rubber sole. Wore HMxMMM boots and those leather bottoms + taps are waay too loud when I'm walking around.

Wolverine 1k look, but less heritage-y so I can wear it with more outfits. [have a blank tee/vee + outerpiece look]

17. filcol

filcol Well-Known Member

^
    look for Buttero, F+B and Moma boots.

18. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Well-Known Member

Some nice Buttero one.
    If I'm only going to have one pair of boots, black or brown?

19. StarterStyle

StarterStyle Well-Known Member

Thanks! They don't look like they have or ever had the Galibier text on the side, and they have 3 hooks whereas the Galibiers have 4. Very similar styling, though. Diemme appears to be a bit new of a brand for how old these boots look.

20. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a mid back zip laced boots like the all saints snare model?