1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Quite incredible. The grosgrain cord along the sides of the trousers were painstakingly hand-sewn. I'm not sure about others' experiences, but on two pairs of trousers I had made up in London, they were just machine-sewn.

2. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Recently Snapped some pics of my Tuxedo Shoes w/ silk laces.
    I enjoy this style tuxedo shoe because it is a different take on full patent leather (which I'm not fond of) shoes, as well as opera pumps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Snoogz - What is the material? I have some black suede shoes which have not creased nearly as much after many many times worn. They are derby rather than oxfords which may explain part of it.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Grosgrain material, like you would find on the lapels of a tuxedo, or the stripping of the trousers.
    Creases are more prevalent when unworn because of the material, and shoe trees will hurt more than help these. You don't want to over stretch the grosgrain, it can start separating near the welt.

5. throwbookatface

throwbookatface Member

Perhaps some intentionally undersized shoe trees just to keep the shape, but not stretch anything too much?

Question for the experienced - buying my first black silk socks to round out my proper black tie wardrobe. How do you launder/wash these? Warm water, hand wash, woolite dark as I would darker sweaters? Or is black too prone to losing its color?

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I have thought about undersized trees, but in reality, when they are worn, they maintain their shape.
    If I come across a pair cheap enough, I may just throw them in.

I use some silk pantherella knee high socks, and wash them by hand. I cannot remember the suggested label procedure they suggest, rather I take caution and use warm water and mild detergent to wash. I use this same process to wash my cashmere and my wool pantherella's as well. This winter will be season 3 with these sets of socks, and I have no issues thus far.

hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  8. Parterre

Parterre Well-Known Member

Typically, monarchs do not attend each other's coronations, due to protocol matters and the possibility of "upstaging" the person being crowned!

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

that is terrible jrd...swap your jacket out when you arrive at the reception lol.

1 person likes this.
  10. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

haha thanks for the support guys

11. Midnight Blue

Midnight Blue Well-Known Member

It could be worse.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  12. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

I dodged a bullet on that recently for my sister in law's wedding. They had to cut back on groomsmen, so I now am just a greeter and can wear my real tux rather than the notch lapel, purple vest-and-tie set that I was going to have to rent. I've never been so happy to be excluded from something.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    2 people like this.
  13. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

T

That is fantastic news. I'd be thrilled lol.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Does anyone know more about the history of the whole matching bridal colors thing? I'm pretty sure it's something cooked up by wedding planners in the 1980s. It's a really nauseating practice, like something a six-year-old girl would dream up for her Barbie and Ken dolls.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but it really is awful. Best case, everyone looks like they are pretending to play dress-up rather than looking like a grown-ass man on one of the most important days of his life.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

^^My understanding is the whole idea of everyone matching was invented by the formalwear rental industry as formalwear ownership started to decline. If everyone has to match, then men, regardless of whether they own a tuxedo, have to rent to ensure that their outfit is exactly the same as everyone else's. In any event, it's awful.

+1

18. Mute

Mute Well-Known Member

Why the F#*) do yo need to match the groomsmen? Is she going to match up with the bridesmaids? Freaking psycho brides. :rolleyes:

19. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's not the groom, but one of the groomsmen. You know those peak lapels will just drive the bride nuts for the rest of her life when she looks at her photos, even though she probably had no idea what they were called before she went tux shopping.

20. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

I swear that I don't have a staff of comedy writers making these scenarios up. It's a real life question for this thread.

In a couple of weeks, I'll be attending a 4 day annual business conference in a large city in Texas at an upscale (but not luxury) hotel. I am mainly there in support of my wife and I have minimal involvement in the business but I expect to gain knowledge from the daily breakout seminars that should prove to be of assistance to her in the future.

Although there is no dress code for the most part, I feel confident in what I will choose to wear each day with one exception where I know what I WANT to wear but am unsure if I should.

After the last session on the final day, there will be a "Black Tie Dinner" which is by invitation only, running from 7:30 PM until 9:30 PM. We are NOT invited to this dinner. However, at 8:30 PM until midnight, there will be a Main Event type party to wrap up the week that we WILL be attending. The Black Tie attendees get dumped into this event at the end of their dinner at 9:30 still dressed, of course, in black tie. I have seen pictures of previous years' events and there's a goodly number of folks who ave no idea how to dress for the main soiree along with a large number who apparently do. There are also pics that demonstrate that not everyone has a clear grasp of black tie. Whatever.

My instinct is to go with a dark suit, navy or charcoal and thus identify myself as one of the grownups. I am wondering, however, if I showed up in black tie, would I look like a pretender, trying to appear as if I had been to the invitation only dinner? I mean, other folks will be in black tie and I get so few chances (actually, none in the last 2 years) that I'd hate to miss an opportunity. I do not know if anyone who is not a black tie dinner attendee wears black tie or not. Therefore, for the first hour or so, I risk being the only one in the room in black tie until the dinner is over.

I don't want to call negative attention to my spouse but I would really enjoy the chance to wear the good stuff.

What would YOU do?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013