1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

Seriously. Why don't these guys' personal assistants just stuff this picture in their faces and say, "Emulate this!"?

[​IMG]

2. recondite

recondite Well-Known Member

Because while stylish, almost nothing in the above outfit is fashionable at the moment. [​IMG]

3. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Yup. I also find that women don't understand classic menswear like the proportions of a suit. (Yet some of these are the same women who say, "why can't men dress like real men anymore, like Cary Grant or Fred Astaire?") e.g., slightly dramatized discussion from my life: "I hate pleated pants, you should never wear pleated pants" ... "well, if they're part of the suit, and I'm never going to wear them without the jacket, so shouldn't it only matter how they look with the jacket?" ... "no, pleated pants are out of style you should never wear them" ... "but if I wear flat front pants, they inevitably fall down to my hips and it makes it look I am busting a sag" ... "but you don't want high waisted pants because you'll look like an old man" ... "since it's a tux, I'll have a vest or cummerbund on so no one will see the waist" ... "oh come on vests and cummerbunds are out of style!" etc. etc. etc.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Ovaries do not confer a heightened sense of style.

3 people like this.
  5. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

+1. It just about blew my ex-girlfriend's mind when I explained that my classic black tie, including not matching anything about my black tie to her dress, was a good thing, i.e., that I was the frame to her artwork.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

A loafer yes but more refined than a penny one. Just the thing for black tie.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

:lol:

8. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

You get a lot of points for trying to explain each of these points. You get a lot of bonus points if you actually used the phrase "bust a sag".

However, FWIW, I wear flats with my tux and they sit just above my hip. Really doesn't matter much if you wear a cummerbund, IMO, and for someone like me (disproportionately legs) a cummerbund above a high-waisted trouser would look silly.

Well, not a penny as we think of it, but if you look closely at the the more visible of the two shoes you can clearly see a band across it with a cutout, much like a penny loafer...

His jacket would also appear to be a size too big, hence the shoulder pads sticking off the end of his shoulders.

9. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Men don't let women tell them how to dress. That's what we're all here for. Getting guy advice from guys.

1 person likes this.
  10. Van Veen

Point being that most of the Hollywood stylists dressing these men for award shows are women, blissfully ignorant of classic men's fashion even though they might agree that Cary Grant et al. were very well dressed.

1 person likes this.
  11. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

So few women realize this.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I think they like it in practice but alot of people, not just women, have trouble visualizing something. It's also been my experience that you don't ask for advice or confirmation on how you are dressing if you dont want the opinion, it opens the door for unsolicited opinions from that point on.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

The fundamental problem is that black tie is no longer part of mainstream dressing. It's now a costume one wears for one-off events, disconnected from the rest of the typical man's wardrobe. If he doesn't wear tailored clothing on a regular basis, how can he be expected to wear black tie correctly? These guys recognize that they need help, but they turn to the wrong advisors. I suspect that if some gregarious megastar were to develop an interest in bespoke and do a bit of evangelizing, the results would be much better.

14. Midnight Blue

Midnight Blue Well-Known Member

great metaphor!

15. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

This is true, but I know plenty of people who wear suits every day and can't wear those correctly either, so I don't think it's just a frequency-of-use thing.

1 person likes this.
  16. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Well-Known Member

Are there any unique rules which apply to a white evening jacket?

17. Van Veen

1. Don't get bleach white, get ivory or cream.

2. Technically they should only be worn in tropical climates, but at least they should be restricted to warm weather.
    - 2a. Ergo, vests/waistcoats are not appropriate, only cummerbunds.

3. White DJs are considered less formal than black, which is why the shawl lapel is common.
    - 3a. Ergo, turn down collars only, no wing collars.

1 person likes this.
  18. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

What is he holding in his arm? An overcoat? It seems to have twin satin stripes.

19. Ialdabaof

Ialdabaof Active Member

It seems to me that he is sitting and that's his leg actually.

20. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

That would make sense, but that's an awfully loose leg—which was en vogue at the time. But the double stripes is interesting.