1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. palk

palk Well-Known Member

I saw Interpreti Veneziani play some of Vivaldi's works in the Chiesa di San Vidal a couple years ago during Carnivale, and I too highly recommend concerts like it if you're fortunate enough to find yourself in Venice for the evening.

2. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

The trouble with much Baroque and early Classical repertoire is how familiar audiences are with common practice harmony, which means it is extremely obvious when you screw up. If you are unfortunate enough to be doing the continuo, you also have to contend with more expert ears that will detect non-Bach-like chord progressions (fortunately modern string instruments are so much more powerful than harpsichords that they cover you up to an extent, especially in a boomy church acoustic). For this reason, it is harder to play Mozart at auditions than Strauss or a contemporary composer. Vivaldi is probably the most extreme example because on top of a style that really adheres to the rules, everybody has heard his works a thousand times on the radio.

In this way music from that period can be compared to black tie, with both obvious and non-obvious rules and good ideas. There is considerably more liberty with late Classical and later repertoire as well as some more adventurous composers like Biber. There, as with "smart casual", you can ascribe errors to artistic creativity.

Personally, having performed in a few Venetian churches, I prefer more Northern countries for the simple reason that they are cooler. The Venetian summer is a killer for tuning and just trying not to drench your concert outfit...

1 person likes this.
  3. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

I saw a concert in the Chiesa di San Vidal as well, and one in the Scuola di San Rocco, some six years ago, both with a Baroque repertoire, though the groups performing I do not remember offhand. Happily, meteorologically, I attended these concerts just prior to Carnevale, so being overheated was not a problem.

4. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

This is not really the time and place but I felt the need after your anecdote to click through to your Instagram and see Italy, and those are smashing outfits.

5. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

Agreed about cluttering up this thread, but this is an interesting diversion nonetheless. Happily, the Chiesa della Pietà was neither boomy (to my ears, anyway) nor hot. This was early April and both the evening and the interior of the church were quite chilly. I was glad to be dressed relatively warmly. Later in the evening, though, while listening to some more contemporary music in Piazza San Marco, I was rather cold.

Thank you for that explanation. I was simply referring to the dazzling finger dexterity on display by the lead violinist. I had no appreciation of the other considerations you mention.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

1 person likes this.