• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd think that if you wear a stiff collar with black tie that you wouldn't want it too tall.  
I don't see any reason to deviate from a properly fitted shirt collar simply to accommodate a change of suit style.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't see any reason to deviate from a properly fitted shirt collar simply to accommodate a change of suit style.

Not to mention the practical issue of the tie staying in place on a stiff collar better if it's a taller collar, particularly if it's a detachable collar with no tunnel or even loop. It's one of the reasons I won't go with wing collars for black tie; just too hard to get everything to stay in place.

jeffd

Reaction score
Yes, the manufacturers of boiled collars are so trendy.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I might be getting a double breasted  tuxedo for a teenager.

Don't get him that. It's ugly. The fact that you wondering which buttons to pull off means it's no good to begin with.

Get him one of the one-button tuxes. The shawl or peak would be best.

Last edited:

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
so i bought a tuxedo shirt from luxire and i love it.

but there is a **** cut in the side by my ribs. ive never seen this before. what gives?

jeffd

Reaction score
It's to help with getting the studs inserted - so you don't wrinkle the front of the shirt trying to get your fingers around the placket.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
does anyone have it closed by a tailor? i'm wearing braces and it kind of gets caught up on them and opens up as im wearing it.

thanks for the answer.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have it closed by a tailor? i'm wearing braces and it kind of gets caught up on them and opens up as im wearing it.

thanks for the answer.

I'm not familiar with this feature, but would having buttons added to it make it more serviceable with your braces? Of course, I can't see there being any trouble with a tailor sewing up an opening.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
it's a fly front, so if the purpose is not getting wrinkles while putting in studs then it's totally redundant.

mianmannoi

Reaction score

Don't get him that. It's ugly. The fact that you wondering which buttons to pull off means it's no good to begin with.

I think you are saying that it is ugly independent of the buttons. Is that a general point about double breasted tuxedos, or is there something ugly about this one in particular (other than the buttons)?

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you are saying that it is ugly independent of the buttons. Is that a general point about double breasted tuxedos, or is there something ugly about this one in particular (other than the buttons)?

It's too big for the model, but it's also got a low lapel forge, and extremely structured shoulders. It really looks like a jacket made in the early 90's, to me. There are still men suited to that style of jacket, but I don't know if it suits him in particular.

But, the other point is that you look at it, and don't like it. A general rule of thumb that most of us here would support (even if we fail to follow it sometimes... *ahem* me) is don't buy it if you don't want it/think you need to change it.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's also hard to gauge how something will really look when it's modeled by someone who looks like a sex offender.

Adam Baxter

Reaction score
I start a new job in a few weeks and I've decided that it's time to improve my evening wardrobe somewhat, in particular with a new dinner jacket and - potentially - a waistcoat. The job itself won't involve any events that are "black tie", but I've enough occasions to wear it such that upgrading my current one - which has survived far too many dinners at university - makes sense.

I was reading a few pages back in this thread a discussion about waist coverings with a single-breasted dinner jacket. I've found what appears a rather pleasant jacket and waistcoat from Ede and Ravenscroft, although I'm not set on them particularly. My question's a quite specific one: does the fact that the jacket have a peaked lapel whilst the waistcoat appears to have a shawl matter? I fear it would clash if I ever had cause to pull back my jacket (for instance to get to my pockets), but I'd welcome your thoughts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads