1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The source of Drakes knit ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Aug 18, 2012.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know what the source is, but it's well known that there are only a handful of (good) knit tie manufacturers (in Italy). Only once did I come across a non-Drakes branded tie that was unquestionably from the same factory. It was in Lisbon, with a brand I didn't know, and the only one in the shop. In an ugly purple, so I didn't buy it. Still, those are my favourite knits (Gallo, Borsalino, T&A and Les Copains also have good knits, but I don't like them as much). But my question is: who makes those ties? Or at least, who else sells them? I want more colour options, and somehow I don't think that going bespoke at Drakes is worth it with a knit tie. Also, I'm going to Naples for a day or two next week, so I might check the usual suspects there. It would be good to have a lead.

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. radicaldog

So it's a mystery.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I don't know either but I did figure out a long time ago that there are only like three quality tie knitters in Italy. Kent Wang buys from the same one as Rubinacci.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Same knitter doesn't necessarily mean same tie though.

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

no but in my case they are the same, same width, weave, etc. only the colors are different.

6. unbelragazzo

I have a KW and a Rubi and I could swear they're different...I'll take a closer look later.

7. radicaldog

Then Gallo knits = Wang knits = Rubinacci knits (don't have any of the latter -- also, they may switch suppliers every know and them; for instance Rubi does fancy knit weaves I've seen in their shops and never liked). Also, Howard Yount = Charvet (!), and Borsalino = Ralph Lauren = Les Copains. (I have a lot of knits and hardly wear any other ties.) The Drakes ones are less common though, and I like their weave very much. If only I had written down the name of that Portuguese brand that used the same knits as Drakes.

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

OT I guess but I have only ever bought one drake knit, I liked it a lot but it was absurdly long, like 64". I complained on SF and someone saw the post and bought it from me. He had to be about 6'11" to wear that tie. Or had a neck as thick as a paint can.

9. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Just from seeing one of KW's knit ties, I highly doubt they are of a similar quality to Drake's and Rubinacci. The spots don't look like they are handsewn and it is very hard to sell it for $75 if it is... For those of you that know, of the most expensive ties in the store is the knit with handsewn spots...

10. radicaldog

KW knits are certainly not the same as Drakes' (different weave: Drakes' is thicker and crunchier). They may well be the same as some of Rubinacci's though.

11. davesmith

You've handled Rubinacci?

The solid and with spots that I have are pretty crunchy!

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Same knitter/weaver doesn't necessarily mean made on the same machine, same raw materials, etc

13. radicaldog

Yes, in the Rome shop. Though maybe I've not seen their spotted ones, come to think of it. Could it be that they get the solids made up and then sew the spots by hand?

Yes, but I'm quite certain that some knit ties with different tags are virtually identical. Of course they could be made by different factories with identical machines and identical quality silk, but you get my drift.

14. davesmith

This is the case, they have a solid tie and then sew on the spots. This makes the price of the tie go up by 25% at least.

Quote: This is true. These people make ties, they can make to any specification and for any price point, doesn't mean they are the same quality...

15. knittieguy

knittieguy Well-Known Member

16. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Well-Known Member

Was it Greg Ostertag?

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

18. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Which store in Portugal? I think I may have seen the same ties.

19. davesmith

At least, my maths aren't the best, in most cases I'm sure it's over 50%.

20. unbelragazzo

Confirming my earlier post, I'd say the Rubi and KW knit ties I have are significantly different. Rubi is a looser weave, with bigger "holes" in the honeycomb of the knit. Sorry for not knowing the proper terminology. But it feels lighter. The KW tie has less open space.