1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Very lovely Shell wheel...

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Friday forum pals. For those of you eyeing some pair on Ebay, vintage or otherwise, you should know that there is currently a 20% coupon code for purchases made with your Paypal account. The code is one time use, expires at midnight on March 11, 2017, good for a maximum of $50 and it is C20HELLOSPRING.

I chose to use the discount with some vintage shell Florsheim long wings. They look to be in very good condition, but I think the flash used in the photos washed out the color. I will get them cleaned up when the arrive and post some updated pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Those look great. Enjoy. Is there a way to apply the code to a counteroffer a seller has sent?

4. tocohillsguy

tocohillsguy Well-Known Member

Received my black cordovan belt. Wow is it dry and dull. Flat black or dark grey. It doesn't have that black jelly bean look one expects. Rough to the touch. It's going to take some work to make it acceptable.

5. katch

katch Well-Known Member

The burgundy was blooming like crazy

6. mogili222

mogili222 Well-Known Member

My friend got the black one and his is the same.. there was also something that looked like bloom, but in patches..

What are you gonna do to make it work? Might ask him to try the same..

7. tocohillsguy

I hit it hard with VSC last night without much success. It looked worse this morning even after brushing it, so I'm on to phase 2 and moving to more drastic measures. I'll share once I'm successful. It may take a few days, but based on my past experience with shell, I'm reasonably confident I'll be successful eventually. Bet these belts sat for years unattended.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Received mine also earlier this week and also blooming and kind of dull on mine. I think the stitching on it could be better also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Whoah, those are rough. I imagine AE males those from the scraps of hide less suitable for shoemaking.

10. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Well-Known Member

My burgundy was the same. I'm also curious about your method and results tocohillsguy

11. tocohillsguy

[​IMG]

I've successfully eliminated the rough texture and dryness. It's now smooth and feels nice to the touch. I hit it pretty hard with a number of products, so I'll probably need to let it sit a day or two (or more?) before working to raise a shine. Oils and conditioners can sometimes impede a shine. That being said it already looks and feels better than it did originally. So here is what I've done so far.

1. Hit it will VSC let it sit over night. Brushed in morning. Looked horrible.
    2. Two thin wipe downs with Neats Foot Oil. I've previously used Neats Foot Oil on dry AE shell and it soaked it up immediately like a sponge. This belt really didn't do that. It absorbed it, but not as readily. I think this step was probably unnecessary, but the belt was a little less rough after I was done.
    3. After 2-3 hours I hit it liberally with a couple of applications of Leather Honey, and let it sit for a few hours. That solved most, but not all, of the rough patches Lexol might have also worked, but I like the Leather Honey.
    4. One application of neutral Saphir Cordovan cream, and vigorously brushed. That eliminated any remaining rough patches.

Note, I would have been a little less adventurous with the #8 color, but I don't really care if the black darkens due to conditioners and creams. In fact I want it darker. I may hit it with Black Saphir Cordovan cream after a few days. Also, with each product and application I was picking up some black transfer on my rag.

1 person likes this.
  12. katch

katch Well-Known Member

I wrote an email to AE. I'll let you know what they say

13. Vitals

Vitals Active Member

I almost purchased the black belt then noticed it was labelled as charcoal, or graphite color, I forget exactly but it was not labelled as black on the website.

14. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Yes, "graphite". I stayed away as well

15. Varnu

Varnu Member

I was lucky enough to nab a pair of these unglazed natural shell derby boots from Viberg. I've been wearing them pretty regularly for two months and am pretty happy with the way they've been developing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. tocohillsguy

True, but the original tag on the back of the belt says black. By the way the Carmina cordovan belt I purchased on this site's classifed section is nicer, although the replaceable extra buckle on the AE is a nice touch.

17. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Well-Known Member

Love those! That patina they are developing is awesome.

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Navy blue Carminas today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    My 96305 Florsheims arrived today and I am anxious to get them in my hands to see what can be done to kick them to the next level of shell goodness.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. katch

katch Well-Known Member

You are working with a good base! From that pic the burgundy has mellowed to a brown tone. What do you think your course of action will be? Vsc or Reno and brush like crazy?