• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Deusis is the care regimen different for unglazed shell? Does it spot just as easily as regular shell? Does it have the same pull-up effect? Damnit I have so many questions.

Deusis

Reaction score
@Deusis is the care regimen different for unglazed shell? Does it spot just as easily as regular shell? Does it have the same pull-up effect? Damnit I have so many questions.

Haha. Regimen TBD!

I wore them yesterday and got some water/snow on them. Didn't really have much of an effect. Same type of shell feel but a bite more natural feeling. I wouldn't say regular shell has a pull-up but that is just me.

I ordered about 25 sq. ft. of unglazed natural shell from Horween for my leather business so I can do some more testing if you have anything specific in mind when it arrives.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

hmm shoot me a PM when you can about a card holder in this material.. need something for business cards

also, unrelated, but got my order of laces and shell keyfob thingy today. awesome products
cheers.gif

tkebh979

Reaction score
For those of you with MTO AE and standard stock Carmina cordovan experience (@peppercorn78 , et al)... if price is the same, who do you choose? In the end, I find myself trying to decide if AE's recraft and local SA's are of greater value than my perception of Carmina's better quality.

I'm not posing this as a hypothetical - I will likely be making an investment informed by this feedback. Thanks!

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choose the one that fits you best. The only Carmina last that fits my foot is Detroit, and they only make two models on that last, PTB and LWB, both of which I have. The Carnina LWB is way more attractive than the AE MacNeil, IMO. Plus there's the clearly superior finishing and detailing. But other models on other lasts like Simpson or Rain or Forest wouldn't work for me, so I would chose AE or Alden, I suppose, in those cases.

AEs clear advantage is the ability to easily return pairs that don't fit you, and have a pair that does quickly made for you if not in stock.

If fit and knowledge of fit is removed as an issue, I would chose Carmina every time.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw, Carmina PTBs today:

shunted22

Reaction score
For those of you with MTO AE and standard stock Carmina cordovan experience (@peppercorn78 , et al)... if price is the same, who do you choose? In the end, I find myself trying to decide if AE's recraft and local SA's are of greater value than my perception of Carmina's better quality.

I'm not posing this as a hypothetical - I will likely be making an investment informed by this feedback. Thanks!
AE IMO, they both have issues but with Carmina it's a huge hassle when things go wrong. I like AEs finishing but Carmina has better build quality. With Carmina you risk running into the 'dry shell'.

Of course I'd take the company which shall not be named over either :)

Deusis

Reaction score
Not exactly a traditional shoe for this thread but it is shell...

Horween Mahogany Shell Cordovan Sneakers from Rider Boot Company -- Full Image Album Here

So here is something fun and different. A few months ago I emailed Ron Rider about the possibility of getting some shell cordovan sneakers made. We briefly emailed back and forth about it and he mentioned he thought about doing it before but didn't know how reasonably priced they could be made (with Horween shell). We both had a lot on our plate at the time so he just said he'd think about it.

Fast forward to about a month ago when he was in Italy, he starts emailing me some pictures while he is at the Cortina factory of different variations of sneakers... cap toe, plain toe, low profile sole, high profile sole... He ends up giving me a call and we start talking through some of the details. He says they can make them in shell and wanted to know which type of specs I thought would look good.

I immediately chose the plain toe style (I didn't think the cap toe looked particularly appealing) and couldn't really decide between the low profile or high profile. I end up asking if he can make me a pair in both so I can see and compare the differences. I really wanted to see how the soles will wear too. Ron made up two pairs for me in the Horween Mahogany Shell Cordovan color since he had a bit on hand so I could compare and test.

High Profile Sole

Lower Profile Sole

Higher profile on the feet

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not exactly a traditional shoe for this thread but it is shell... Horween Mahogany Shell Cordovan Sneakers from Rider Boot Company -- Full Image Album Here
So here is something fun and different. A few months ago I emailed Ron Rider about the possibility of getting some shell cordovan sneakers made. We briefly emailed back and forth about it and he mentioned he thought about doing it before but didn't know how reasonably priced they could be made (with Horween shell). We both had a lot on our plate at the time so he just said he'd think about it.

Fast forward to about a month ago when he was in Italy, he starts emailing me some pictures while he is at the Cortina factory of different variations of sneakers... cap toe, plain toe, low profile sole, high profile sole... He ends up giving me a call and we start talking through some of the details. He says they can make them in shell and wanted to know which type of specs I thought would look good.

I immediately chose the plain toe style (I didn't think the cap toe looked particularly appealing) and couldn't really decide between the low profile or high profile. I end up asking if he can make me a pair in both so I can see and compare the differences. I really wanted to see how the soles will wear too. Ron made up two pairs for me in the Horween Mahogany Shell Cordovan color since he had a bit on hand so I could compare and test.

High Profile Sole

Lower Profile Sole

Higher profile on the feet

I really like the idea of shell sneakers, but I can't get behind paying for it if it can't be resoled.

Deusis

Reaction score
High profile sole! How much?

Price will probably be around $600 - $650.

I really like the idea of shell sneakers, but I can't get behind paying for it if it can't be resoled.

I'm going to confirm 100% that they can't be resoled. I don't think it'd be fair to say they can never be resoled since Randy the Cobbler could probably do it for a fee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads