1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

It would have! It would have approached 1/2 mil. There are some wealthy Skankee fans out there....and collectors.
    50K?? His batting glove would get that!
    The market IS there....Wealthy people are still there.
    And you coontradicted your earlier post..Jeter/NY Skankees/clean player/3000.....EASY $250K min!

It doesn't COONtradict anything (you racist) He's an all time great, but if the over valued 756 HR ball fetches on 3/4 of a million why do you think the 28 person to hit 3000 would get 250K?? Sure he's a Yankee, sure he's clean, but buddy the market is not there. I've heard estimates a low as 25K. Sorry but your meal ticket is gone.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

It doesn't COONtradict anything (you racist) He's an all time great, but if the over valued 756 HR ball fetches on 3/4 of a million why do you think the 28 person to hit 3000 would get 250K?? Sure he's a Yankee, sure he's clean, but buddy the market is not there. I've heard estimates a low as 25K. Sorry but your meal ticket is gone.

Hey ASSHOLE...we are having an interesting debate about the value of a baseball and you call me a racist because of a mis-type!!! Looks like that guy who gave the ball back isn't the only schumck!
    (my initial post has been corrected)

3. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Hey ASSHOLE...we are having an interesting debate about the value of a baseball and you call me a racist because of a mis-type!!! Looks like that guy who gave the ball back isn't the only schumck!
    (my initial post has been corrected)

Relax it was a joke.

4. ter1413

Relax it was a joke.

i'm relaxed..

5. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    This thread makes me sad. I can't believe there are actually people out there who criticize others for being nice.

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Its not about "being nice", or "doing the right thing", but this guy and his family will spend tens of thousands of dollars in their lifetime on MLB, and the Yankees. Its all the hard work they put into their lives that they choose to spend on baseball which enables guys like Jeter to earn what they earn. Sure he's a throwback, but he's not making throwback money. I wish I could earn millions by playing a game for a living, playing it for 20 years, retiring, and live large. Sure you get up early for BP and get beaned, and sure it takes hard work but they also have more time off than teachers (October through March 1). Cry me a river. I'm not saying he should have fleeced the Yanks or Jeter, but the fact that they never even thought giving back financially to the fans who allow these ungrateful (mostly) and overpaid athletes to be what they are is disgusting.

7. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Time to send this bad boy to ebay:

[​IMG]

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

This thread makes me sad. I can't believe there are actually people out there who criticize others for being nice.

+1.

I can't believe Slopho is saying something correct about baseball.

9. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

+1.

I can't believe Slopho is saying something correct about baseball.

LOL[​IMG]

10. ter1413

LOL[​IMG]

get a room!

11. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    Its not about "being nice", or "doing the right thing", but this guy and his family will spend tens of thousands of dollars in their lifetime on MLB, and the Yankees. Its all the hard work they put into their lives that they choose to spend on baseball which enables guys like Jeter to earn what they earn. Sure he's a throwback, but he's not making throwback money. I wish I could earn millions by playing a game for a living, playing it for 20 years, retiring, and live large. Sure you get up early for BP and get beaned, and sure it takes hard work but they also have more time off than teachers (October through March 1). Cry me a river. I'm not saying he should have fleeced the Yanks or Jeter, but the fact that they never even thought giving back financially to the fans who allow these ungrateful (mostly) and overpaid athletes to be what they are is disgusting.

The way you talk about being a fan makes it sound like it's some sort of tax, or involuntary. Fans make a decision to pay for tickets, buy memorabilia, and so on. We choose to spend money on sports, and, in return, we get to see a game (or own a jersey). It's not charity.

I do agree that athletes tend to be entitled d-bags far too often, but that doesn't make the fans victims who are somehow exploited by MLB.

12. NewYorkIslander

The way you talk about being a fan makes it sound like it's some sort of tax, or involuntary. Fans make a decision to pay for tickets, buy memorabilia, and so on. We choose to spend money on sports, and, in return, we get to see a game (or own a jersey). It's not charity. I do agree that athletes tend to be entitled d-bags far too often, but that doesn't make the fans victims who are somehow exploited by MLB.
    I disagree with that. Its a business, always was, always will be, and the customer is the fan. Its more underlying in sport (the businessman always on the hustle at the customers expense) than in other areas of business, but its there. $10 for a beer at the stadium, $8 for a hot dog, etc... I feel that the least they could have done was offer him some sort of real financial compensation, or lifetime season tickets (after all, the guy gave the ball back for NOTHING, if thats not a super fan what is?). Especially here in NY where people (myself included here) are often priced out of tickets to ball games. Yankee Stadium in particular is ridiculous. To take your family to the game will cost you at least $500 (between parking, tickets, souvenirs, hot dogs, ect) and all of that goes to the NYY or whatever team you are going to see (Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Knicks). I don't know what rices are like at Turner Field, but I'm pretty sure most places don't even come close to NY prices, and most franchises around the country don't make what NY teams do. The Huffington Post did a great article about how you need to take out a mortgage to have Ranger season tickets (which I had to give up...its far more pricey than my bespoke hobby). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-ru..._b_891242.html

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I disagree with that. Its a business, always was, always will be, and the customer is the fan. Its more underlying in sport (the businessman always on the hustle at the customers expense) than in other areas of business, but its there. $10 for a beer at the stadium, $8 for a hot dog, etc... I feel that the least they could have done was offer him some sort of real financial compensation, or lifetime season tickets (after all, the guy gave the ball back for NOTHING, if thats not a super fan what is?).
    I wholeheartedly agree with this.

14. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Jeter is the only one who woke up earlier every morning took BP

A true hero.

15. ter1413

A true hero.

listen..he is a great ballplayer who is a first ballot HOF'er......but why is he a "hero?" he served in combat? he saved a life?
    leading up to this, i heard people calling WFAN(in NY) saying that he has been a huge part of their life for as many yrs that he has been a yankee.....really? people place a lot a value on a sports figure who they have never met and who makes a boatload of $$ and ONLY wated to get paid what he was worth in the past...and not how he is playing the last 2 yrs!

16. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

NYR, please stop posting about sports, anything related to morality and economics.

To be frank, you are awful at all three.

17. NewYorkIslander

NYR, please stop posting about sports, anything related to morality and economics.

To be frank, you are awful at all three.

I'll give you the last one.

18. BDC2823

BDC2823 Well-Known Member

Wow. Didn't really think there would be that much criticism towards the guy that gave Jeter his ball back. I thought it was a class act. I can see the reasoning behind keeping it if it were someone like Bonds, but Jeter's a different story.

I'm also starting to get sick of people complaining about the cost of going to see professional sports. You are not forced to pay these prices being that you don't have to attend the games. If you don't like the prices, don't go. Plain and simple. You are not entitled to being able to attend games. Watch them on tv. Ticket prices, beer, food, etc. are what they are because the market is willing to pay these prices. If they weren't, prices would drop. Baseball is a business, and it would be poorly ran if prices were artificially lowered to appease those complaining about it. New York is a different market, but I can go to an Angels or Dodgers game and spend $100+ a person, or go to the game for less than it'd cost to go to the movies (for most games). I had a conversation last week with a couple friends that work for different big market teams in different sports and they were both talking about how people don't realize that these teams don't make nearly the profits that most people think they do.

19. NewYorkIslander

I had a conversation last week with a couple friends that work for different big market teams in different sports and they were both talking about how people don't realize that these teams don't make nearly the profits that most people think they do.

The ones in NY do. Why shouldn't people be upset when something that they used to be able to do has become unreachable? Its a microcosm of life in America, everything is becoming more and more expensive relative to wages most American's earn. We are the greatest nation in the world because for years these things were available to "the people". Now its becoming another thing for "the elites". Just don't go, and its a choice don't cut it, when for generations people have put their hearts and souls in a local team, and then it becomes impossible for the same fans to even see their team live.

20. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i wouldnt call the guy a schmuck, but i would say he is bit naive. there is no reason he shouldnt be able to make some good coin off that ball. you can be nice and make money.