• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the SB peak lapel jacket...

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3yqxks9.jpg

I bought this on a whim today. It doesn't fit now that I have it home
musicboohoo[1].gif
What do you think otherwise though? Is it wearable? Should I even bother trying to sell it?

Cheers.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Wearable for what purpose?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thrift item? It looks like it's half of a suit, but someone would probably wear it with jeans or something.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Wearable for what purpose?
Casually.

Yeah, I did thrift it. It was cheap, which is why I picked it up.

It's an odd gray, so it really didn't SCREAM orphaned suit jacket to me. It probably is though, now that I think about it. Maybe I shouldn't of grabbed it
plain.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Thrift item? It looks like it's half of a suit, but someone would probably wear it with jeans or something.
That's why I asked. Not a great choice as an odd jacket for business attire. For clubbing or daily kicking around or whatever, if you like it then why not?

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
That's why I asked. Not a great choice as an odd jacket for business attire. For clubbing or daily kicking around or whatever, if you like it then why not?
I suppose. Didn't know if the peak lapels made it instantly unwearable, or whatever. I guess I'm really just looking for validation that I didn't waste my money, in the case that I get fat someday I will be able to wear it
laugh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How much too big is it for you? Maybe you could get it tailored to fit.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
How much too big is it for you? Maybe you could get it tailored to fit.
It's too big in the shoulders. I was too lazy to take my coat off and try it on in store. You win some you lose some. If anybody on the forum is interested, just let me know, I'll pass it on at cost.

Popsandfriends

Reaction score
Where the heck do you find thrift SB peak lapel jackets! I've been looking everywhere. Theres never any in a 36R or 37R

v0rtex

Reaction score
I love the SB peak lapel look for casual wear - I find notch lapel odd-jackets a little business-like to wear with jeans, especially with a solid colour fabric.

I recently picked up a cashmere SB peak-lapel blazer from Balenciaga which has become my standard going-out jacket (unlined with working sleeve buttons and silk lining):

ed7e_1.JPG

What size is the jacket you have? If it's a 38-40L I may be interested if you want to get rid of it
smile.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the thrifted one, the 80s/90s elements are the built up shoulder and the dropped peaks on the lapel.

In current wear, I think the built up shoulders make it slightly more difficult to wear casually, as they suggest power/business/formality and are less in style than the the softer, narrower shoulder on the Balenciaga.

The early 60s was a good time for SB peaked lapel styles, and these show up at thrift stores from time to time, even in shiny wool/mohair blends that look great at night.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
I love the SB peak lapel look for casual wear - I find notch lapel odd-jackets a little business-like to wear with jeans, especially with a solid colour fabric.

I recently picked up a cashmere SB peak-lapel blazer from Balenciaga which has become my standard going-out jacket (unlined with working sleeve buttons and silk lining):

ed7e_1.JPG

What size is the jacket you have? If it's a 38-40L I may be interested if you want to get rid of it
smile.gif

It's probably around a 40r. If you're really interested, send me a message and I can take some measurements.

Re:mack, yeah, I would say it's probably from the early 90's to late 80's. It's actually made in the USA though, came from a local fairly well regarded menswear shop. Wonder what factory it was made in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads