1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Rubinacci Thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., Jun 6, 2008.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

But it feels so loose and free!
    [​IMG]

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

1) Braces wear hot. The felt ones especially.

2) If your pants are not cut high, braces don't really work. They will also slip off your shoulders.

3) At a certain point, I became uncomfortable being seen in them by business associates who don't know me well.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Some of us need the extra room--don't judge a man's height by his height.

4. ohm

ohm Well-Known Member

2) If your pants are not cut high, braces don't really work. They will also slip off your shoulders.

3) At a certain point, I became uncomfortable being seen in them by business associates who don't know me well.

Good reasons all, thank you.

5. Bull

Bull Well-Known Member

Damn good point.

I never thought about this, but it makes sense - I'm always sweating up a storm at weddings, when I'm wearing black tie attire (as is appropriate, my trousers are cut for braces).

That could also be because I'm the first one dancing on the tables, though.

6. mmkn

mmkn Well-Known Member

I've spent a lot more time with Rubinacci than A&S.
    As Jack Welch once said, "The hardest thing I had to do in my twenty years at GE was figuring out what reality was." This "spending a lot of time" statement [in addition to what Despos wrote about liking the DNA of a maker] sums up to me what one should look for in makers/tailor to get great looking and fitting clothes. Or should I write - the ability to spend a lot of time reflects good communication and mutual personal satisfaction - client gets maker, and maker gets client. I would also submit that it is specifically Mariano and Gerano [spelling?] that makes a difference for you. My maker recently teamed up with a specific tailor that I am very excited about - the triad of client, stylist/fitter/maker, and tailor is complete. - M

7. Bespoke 51

Bespoke 51 Well-Known Member

Here are a few pics of the new suits. Pants are going back to Naples for repair - wanted belt loops instead of side tabs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whnay, Superb balance, cut, fit, fabrics--true bespoke artistry! Is your dress shirt also one by Mr. Rubinacci?

8. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

9. kcc

kcc Well-Known Member

Yes.

Whnay,

Is it your posture or is there excess fabric in the abdomen region of your coats? Also, consider less break in your trousers; in the case of the first garment, as you noted, the side tabs may explain the fit of the pant.

10. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Whnay,

Is it your posture or is there excess fabric in the abdomen region of your coats? Also, consider less break in your trousers; in the case of the first garment, as you noted, the side tabs may explain the fit of the pant.

The trouser break on the new suits is squarely because of the side tabs and my lack of time to fiddle with them. Not sure about the abdomen comment - I haven't noticed any excess fabric.

11. kcc

kcc Well-Known Member

The trouser break on the new suits is squarely because of the side tabs and my lack of time to fiddle with them. Not sure about the abdomen comment - I haven't noticed any excess fabric.

Maybe it's my eyes. The fit of the coats in first set of images are remarkable; just thought I saw rippling of fabric on the two coats above.

12. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Maybe it's my eyes. The fit of the coats in first set of images are remarkable; just thought I saw rippling of fabric on the two coats above.

Well I think it might have something to do with the fabric weight of them, both are less than 10 oz. All I can say is that they hang as well as the others that I have but as I mentioned the pants are not ideal - wear larger because of the side tabs and recent weight loss.

13. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

I also prefer belt loops, even if pants fit perfectly without a belt on. I much prefer the look of pants with belts than without.

I generally do, too. But after wearing braces for the first time with my dinner suit, I am tempted to switch for suits.

Generally speaking I get any custom trousers with side straps as opposed to belt loops. The main reason being the majority of my trousers are RTW and therefore already have belt loops. This way there's more variety.

+1 - I just like the look of it better. Only exception are my DBs which I prefer with side tabs.

Many thanks gentlemen - much appreciated.

14. tailorgod

tailorgod Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting those pictures, whnay.
    They really make me [​IMG]!

15. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Great suits Matt...As usual.

16. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Great suits Matt...As usual.

The guy's name is Bill alright...

17. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting those pictures, whnay.
    They really make me [​IMG]!

Naughty boy...

- B

18. voxsartoria

The guy's name is Bill alright...

whnay., the Angriest Man in the World. There's a documentary coming out about him featuring his days before the banking gig.

NSFW, if you are in a buttoned up enviro:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

19. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Angriest "Little" Man in the World I might add.

20. voxsartoria

Angriest "Little" Man in the World I might add.

I don't care, I would still buy a Winnebago from you any day.

- B