• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm confused. The Armfield comes on the 109 last but Cleav said his shoes were on the 53 last.

Mine are AS made for AFPOS and that was what I was told, may be I got it wrong though that is how I remember it :D

Last edited:

Shaun Tan

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and I have recently been in the market to get a pair of dress shoes for myself.
The Loake Aldwych has caught my eye and I would like to purchase a pair. However, I am rather uncertain with the sizings. Therefore I seek all your enlightened opinions.

I generally wear US size 9 for every shoe (sneakers, penny loafers etc.) that I have. Would it to safe to say that my size in that pair of Loakes' would be UK 8.5? Or UK 8?
Assuming for British sizing, I should go half a size down. My feet could be considered a wide one.

Thank you!

Shaun

ajc2162

Reaction score
Aldwychs are F fittings and wider feet generally look for G fittings. I'm unsure why you think that you need to take a 1/2 size down - it would be safer if you actually tried them on first.

In any case, you'll get a broader range of opinions by posting your enquiry in the Loake Appreciation thread.

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine are AS made for AFPOS and that was what I was told, may be I got it wrong though that is how I remember it :D

You are correct Cleav, your straight cap oxfords are built on the 53 last (chiselled toe shape) from the AS Handgrade range of lasts and they look great!

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You are correct Cleav, your straight cap oxfords are built on the 53 last (chiselled toe shape) from the AS Handgrade range of lasts and they look great!

Phew!

Worn again today in the service of Her Majesty (Court)

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the cap toe oxford the only shoe on SF that has it's very own thread? is there a thread to ask questions and/or get opinions on other types of dress shoes, ie wingtip, etc?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the cap toe oxford the only shoe on SF that has it's very own thread?  is there a thread to ask questions and/or get opinions on other types of dress shoes, ie wingtip, etc?

when i get time, I will do a wingtip thread. lol

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, now, that's not an everyday thing, popping in at the court. What did you do to get summoned, Cleav?

LOL VR, nothing sinister, I was there in a professional capacity. Honest!

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so I hope no one minds that I'm posting this here. I tried the "quick questions" thread but no luck so far. And here, even though it's a captoe thread, the impression I get is that many of you have good knowledge about shoes in general, so I'm giving it a try. Here goes:

Shoe question:

I am looking for a pair of loafers like this one from Brooks Brothers:
287H_BLACK

Couple of things:

1) According to Brooks Brothers description, they are made in England. Does anyone here know which company makes these for BB?

2) These are bit out of my range ($498). Does BB put these types of shoes on sale often? Can anyone point me to an alternative shoe that is very similar in looks, but under $400?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads