1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Sep 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Sharp!!

I'm getting the EG Chelseas in Doak on the 82 for now as I have a pair of cap toes from another brand in black already. However strongly considering coming back later and going for another in black later.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

3. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Thanks. My black pair was ready to be replaced, but so many good options on here. Bespoke England has some nice G&G black captoes on sale as well...I felt the wurger urge to just buy them all!

1 person likes this.
  4. dddrees

Yeah @wurger is a bad influence. LOL

In truth this thread was a fabulous idea and extremely valuable tool for the SF community. When he first started it I was a bit puzzled as to why someone would have so many black oxfords. I've since bought so many boots and shoes that I have a much better idea why. It's not that much different than what I'm doing as well. I mean who in their right mind would buy as many boots or shoes that I have purchased? Well it's simple, I find a use for it and I enjoy what I'm doing.

Although I don't find a desire to buy as many as he has, I do have an urge to possibly upgrade from what I have already. In the meantime I can at least refer to this thread and feel confident in the decision if I chose to do so later.

Hats off to you @wurger .

2 people like this.
  5. cezinho

cezinho Well-Known Member

For me, no doubt, the best option.

6. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

dddrees, a lot of us have the same sickness, it's just what one loves is different. :)

7. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

dddrees, as someone with the same illness as you, I think you should just buy it now while it's still cheap at SKOAB. You'll save yourself money and time stressing over the shoe. I wore my 82 chelseas 3 times this week (mainly to test for fit) and I think I'm about to order my second pair of black shoes... Although I wish I had shouldavilles shoe shine skills. Mine just don't look as nice lol. Need to get better at it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  8. dddrees

In this case I do have a black cap toe already so this would be just an upgrade. I've decided to wait. I didn't have a brown cap toe however, so I decided to proceed with that before the prices went up.

In regards to shining you probably just need some practice. Being ex-military I had plenty of practice, and it sure didn't hurt when I was just starting that there were others there with some experience. I don't need to do it that often anymore but when I do it's just like riding a bike. It's almost second nature, all I need is a little wax, a little water, and I use some cotton diapers. It could be cotton anything, but new cotton diapers are cheaper than T-Shirts and they work just fine. Wax on, Wax off. LOL

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  9. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Thanks Ironist, but my skills are nowhere near some of the "professionals" on here. I think I hit those a little the night before, and the morning sun certainly helped.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I use cotton balls instead of diapers, especially when I'm trying to create a mirror toe; I find it produces the shine in half the time and effort.

1 person likes this.
  11. dddrees

Cotton balls were always a pain in the butt for me. Maybe cause I have big fat fingers or something, but they where always so much more messier than cotton diapers.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  12. MGD83

MGD83 Well-Known Member

X - Post:

Maybe somebody can help here - just received my new pair of AS Armfields in black. They are possibly one of the nicest plain captoes I have ever seen from any RTW brand.

Anyways my question is about the sizing of the 109 last. I am in between a brannock US 11 D/C width, with what I consider a lower then normal instep.

So, now that I've tried in these Armfields, it feels as if they are about 3mm longer then the AS 724 last, also with what I consider a pretty generous instep. I can close the lacing (obviously lacing my shoes tightly as possible) all of the way through, with just a slight 1/4" gap at the very top. There is a slight bit of heel slippage too. I know some say the slipping subsides after the soles are broken in.

I'm worried that after 1 or 2 wears the footbed will break in and the instep will be way too roomy causing these shoes to be unwearable.

Am I just being paranoid? I can't imagine I'd have to size all the way down to a 9UK from a US 11.

13. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I'm loving this thread. A black oxford will probably be my next purchase and this thread will be quite helpful. Thanks wurger and to all that have contributed.

1 person likes this.
  14. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

After reading through this, I am quite interested in the AS line. I love, love those balmorals (real ones, haha) you posted.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. dreamspace

dreamspace Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's been posted, but the Loake Rothschild shoes are pretty good looking. Nice chiseled toe.

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Definitely an excellent value! Close to C&J HG at a better price point. If not for EG and G&G lasts fitting well, I'd be extremely happy with AS. AFPoS is a good source for them.

18. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

AFPOS seems to have everything online except for that balmoral, the Wilson. I'll have to shoot them an email.

19. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Wilson is not a stock model, only limited runs.

20. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Of course. That's only because I like it. Story of my life.