1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Power of a Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrpologuy, Apr 10, 2006.

1. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Well-Known Member

I am a full time college student and work full time, so I almost never get to wear a suit. However, Friday I had an academic conference to go to and decided to wear a suit. It was not mandatory. Most of the people there were professors and dressed quite badly in old and worn clothing. I wore a navy suit, pink oxford shirt, and a green RLPL paisley tie, and cordovan shoes. The suit was not the best brand (Michael Kors) but the fit is excellent. I was the best dressed person there and felt great wearing a suit. It made me feel more confident and made me look more serious. I received many compliments and some people did not recognize me at all dressed up. I realized how much I enjoy wearing suits and how much I am looking forward ro graduating so I cna purchase nicer suits and wear them more often. I just wanted to let others on here know how great wearing a suit made me feel. I imagine many on here feel the same way.[​IMG]

2. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Well-Known Member

I think this is why some who work from home put on a suit. I think the obvious convention is that wearing a suit effects the way people around you perceive you. I would also add that it effects the way you carry yourself, which also effects the way people perceive you!

Just get prepared for a hobby you are getting an early start on - its easy to go hog wild sometimes!

3. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a little anecdote: having a newborn at home, I'm in the process of relocating my little family to a larger flat. This means that in the meantime, people will come visit my current apartment which is opened for rent. Eventhough I was on holidays, I fully dressed up to welcome the visitors (suits, tie, frenchcuffs) pretending I was back from work or something to walk them through the apartment. It worked like a charm, they were very polite and spent 15 minutes visiting. [​IMG]

!luc

4. Duveen

Duveen Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff, didn't you use to be mrgoblueguy? Were you wiped out entirely by the Great Crash?

5. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Well-Known Member

Yes, I did used to be mrgoblueguy. Thanks for noticing. I have 2 more weeks of classes then will be mrcollegegraduate. I was upset that the crash wiped me out, but I am back and learning tons again from the forum. I am glad to be back.[​IMG]