• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The poker tips and bragging thread

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can be there in 10 minutes
devil.gif
Im going to sleep in less than an hour if anyone wants to get on it, PM me.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Side note:

Arent those ESPN poker shows awful?

First of all, you almost see almost no real poker, they spend all this fuckin time on profiles and bla bla bla talk, then occasionally a hand will get shown, but its always a great hand... I know it makes for good TV but mix it up, we like to see people play **** hands and see what they do.

Also they spend all this time watching guys walk away from the table and then take their hats off, they adjust the hair, look at the crowd then come back pumped up.

Its some of the worst direction and production I've ever seen on TV. Its a poker program, show some ******* poker already.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I like Poker After Dark. Good players. Casual environment. Good anecdotes and conversation.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I like Poker After Dark. Good players. Casual environment. Good anecdotes and conversation.

I agree.

Nobody down for a game tonight? Wife just went to bed LOL

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Side note:

Arent those ESPN poker shows awful?

Theyre lame. The only poker show worth a damn is High Stakes Poker on the gameshow network, NL cash game with 500k buy-in.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I loved the episode where Brian Townsend had 700k or so on the table. It just looked so ridiculous.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Theyre lame. The only poker show worth a damn is High Stakes Poker on the gameshow network, NL cash game with 500k buy-in.

Now that **** gets my attention. Negreanu is the man on that show.

I also really like Sammy Farha.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm grinding my roll back up on stars but I should be down for an SF game soon. Ha I remember Micheal J Krell taking me out real early in the last one. must have been like a year and a half ago.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from what I remember, Pokerstars allows you to set up private sit-n-go tourneys.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
How much do those big poker stars make a year excluding endorsements? I know they have their swings, but is it closer to high six figures, low seven figures, or up near high sevens? Guys like Helmuth, Ivey, Negranu, etc...

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
How much do those big poker stars make a year excluding endorsements? I know they have their swings, but is it closer to high six figures, low seven figures, or up near high sevens? Guys like Helmuth, Ivey, Negranu, etc...

Nobody really knows with these guys. Hellmuth makes a lot especially since the company he represents steals money from customers, Ivey owns part of Full Tilt so he likely makes a ton, Negreanu probably gets a salary and freerolls a lot of tournaments. Other less known sponsored pros typically get a deal that includes 100% rakeback and hourly pay. On PokerStars some pros will get paid $100k/year for generating x-amount of rake.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I used to play a lot of NL hold 'em. I was reasonably solid and peaked when I played in the $10K buy-in Aussie Millions in 2008. My first table on day two was brutal. You can view it here:
http://news.pokerpages.com/index.php...k=view&id=2843
Mike Matusow two to my right. Kenna James on my left, and Kenny (Phuong) Tran two to my left. Brutal. I'm sandwiched between three big time pros and was lucky to get moved after only about an hour or so. I made it to the end of the second day and was on the bubble for cashing. It was a great experience, but I was really overwhelmed playing with pros. That was the end of my interest in big tournaments. I was out of my element, and it impacted my play.

Meh, looks like a pretty good table draw by today's standards.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phil Ivey probably wins 2-3M+ a year on full tilt alone. Someone else has to confirm since I haven't checked in a loooong time. That, plus endorsements, side bets, tournaments, etc. Monster.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally depends. Some of those big names, like Ivey, who are known to be high stakes cash game players and are totally focused make a fortune. However, there are plenty of stories about similar types of players, like Doyle Brunson, who has won millions at the poker table and lost millions in an instant making stupid sports bets. Other guys like Matusow has a history of struggling to stay afloat. Stu Ungar, who was probably one of the greatest poker players ever, died broke and was always backed, because he didn't have the cash to play. Actually, I think you'd be surprised to know how many big names are backed, because they don't have the bankroll to play high stakes.

I really think a lot of it depends on how focused they can be with their lives. Negreanu seems to have it. Matusow doesn't. A lot of the skill that allows these guys to have the balls to make millions playing poker is the same thing that makes them blow it on other stupid gambles.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It seems to me that to play those high stakes cash games effectively, the players could either benefit from or need to have to have an inherent disregard for money to some degree in order to be able to prevent themselves from buckling under the pressure. That would obviously make them somewhat vulnerable to shortsighted financial risks and bankruptcy. It's an interesting mix.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads